About Dell Inspiron Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again thank you all who give the review and recommendation on Dell notebook. Most likely I'll go for Dell Inspirion 6000 with 2GHz with 512MB DDR2 around 1.8K.

By the way how long it takes to deliver if order online? Thanks.

order should come in 1 week to 2 weeks time.;)

wainism said:
the other time i was shopping for a notebook for my fren. here's wat i heard...

Dell use 3rd party parts, and when there is a breakdown, they take a long while to service, because their main office is in penang.

If the info is coming from another vendor, beware, b'cos they may not be painting a full picture.

1. Their hotline support is in Penang, for support, just call their toll free hotline. If problem can not be resolved over the phone, they will activate local (SG in your case) on-site support. IIRC, this local support is outsourced to another IT company, but not an issue as long as they can get the parts replaced. Take note that it is a myth that Dell support staffs flys down from Penang to Singapore.

2. What is 3rd party parts??

BTW, I'm not from Dell. My current and previous employers use Dell from servers to PCs and note books, so am speaking from experience and have visited their office too. If your a/c is large, they even appoint an a/c mgr to handle your request plus special discounts.

zola70 said:
Thank you.

U order ur dell 6000 yet?...tink they nw giving bluetooth now also leh...for this wk promo.....instead of giving backpack I think

alamak...just miss it...every wk promo keep getting better..... :mad2: ......

scramblur11 said:
U order ur dell 6000 yet?...tink they nw giving bluetooth now also leh...for this wk promo.....instead of giving backpack I think

brought already .. better don't think abt it. Or else got 10 heads also not enought for u to :mad2: ;)

therat said:
brought already .. better don't think abt it. Or else got 10 heads also not enought for u to :mad2: ;)

haa...ya lor...suanz bo pianz~!... :bsmilie:

zola70 said:
Once again thank you all who give the review and recommendation on Dell notebook. Most likely I'll go for Dell Inspirion 6000 with 2GHz with 512MB DDR2 around 1.8K.

By the way how long it takes to deliver if order online? Thanks.

I :heart: my Dells. had many many before and the key difference (like so many have mentioned) is that they (Getronics) will come and replace the parts that are clearly faulty, within the next working day. in fact even when I had an intermitten LCD problem, they replaced everything they could think of just so that the problem will be fixed. what more can you ask for?

I just got a 6000 too. the only bitch I have is the darn touch pad. it is no longer the old brand (can't remember the brand) but some sucky ALPS touch pad. can anyone tell me if you can use the pad if you touch it at the edge? my doesn't work unless you first touch it around the central region.

oh and have anyone tried using the built-in bluetooth 350 with a Nokia phone (6021)?

zola70 said:
Hi,

Never know that IBM notebook battery life is lousy. So how is Dell battery life? Anyway I not going to bring it out of the house only move from room to room or to hall use only. by the way how is the backup service from Dell?

Thank you.
read some where, IBM is collaborating with Sanyo to improve its batt, dun noe happen liao a not???

Anyone knows wat's the best response time, brightness, Contrast Ratio for LCD Monitor for doing multimedia & photos editing?
Now considering to get desktop or notebook.. :sweat:

scramblur11 said:

No, haven't order yet, still looking around at other brands and model until I made my final decision which one to buy.

zola70 said:
No, haven't order yet, still looking around at other brands and model until I made my final decision which one to buy.

hey u bought the dell yet?...I just got my 6000 ard a wk ago but I start feeling that the XGA screen realli cannot make it leh.......it is really not sharp at all....thinking of upgrading liao...;p

hwchoy said:
I :heart: my Dells. had many many before and the key difference (like so many have mentioned) is that they (Getronics) will come and replace the parts that are clearly faulty, within the next working day. in fact even when I had an intermitten LCD problem, they replaced everything they could think of just so that the problem will be fixed. what more can you ask for?

I just got a 6000 too. the only bitch I have is the darn touch pad. it is no longer the old brand (can't remember the brand) but some sucky ALPS touch pad. can anyone tell me if you can use the pad if you touch it at the edge? my doesn't work unless you first touch it around the central region.

oh and have anyone tried using the built-in bluetooth 350 with a Nokia phone (6021)?

Think the touch pad can onli use the central region....the 4 corners of the pad can be preset as certain function...u can change it in mouse properties......:)

scramblur11 said:
Think the touch pad can onli use the central region....the 4 corners of the pad can be preset as certain function...u can change it in mouse properties......:)

no good lah like that. the old one is very good because you can adjust very close to the edge so when you touch the pad at the edge you know where you finger is. just like touch typing you know.

scramblur11 said:
hey u bought the dell yet?...I just got my 6000 ard a wk ago but I start feeling that the XGA screen realli cannot make it leh.......it is really not sharp at all....thinking of upgrading liao...;p

wah lao why you go and get the XGA screen? is it even the UltraSharp? I got the 1680×1050 Ultrasharp but step it down to the next lower resolution (this is a trick) which is 1280×800. I find that when you do this the fonts are much more full-bodied and easy to read.

what is your screen resolution? try stepping down and see. also don't forget to turn on cleartype feature in your display setting. previously I had another laptop with 1600×1200 and I step it down to 1400×1050, the result is similar, very full-bodied fonts.

hwchoy said:
wah lao why you go and get the XGA screen? is it even the UltraSharp? I got the 1680×1050 Ultrasharp but step it down to the next lower resolution (this is a trick) which is 1280×800. I find that when you do this the fonts are much more full-bodied and easy to read.

what is your screen resolution? try stepping down and see. also don't forget to turn on cleartype feature in your display setting. previously I had another laptop with 1600×1200 and I step it down to 1400×1050, the result is similar, very full-bodied fonts.

mine is the 1280x 800 screen leh...tink the image doesnt look sharp at all...I step down the resolution the sharpness reduce further, even though the words look bigger....

dunoe why leh...after looking at the laptop for too long, I can feel that my eyes are getting tired.....get tired faster leh...

btw where to turn on the cleartype feature ahz?...cant find it leh....btw mine is integrated graphics one...

scramblur11 said:
mine is the 1280x 800 screen leh...tink the image doesnt look sharp at all...I step down the resolution the sharpness reduce further, even though the words look bigger....

dunoe why leh...after looking at the laptop for too long, I can feel that my eyes are getting tired.....get tired faster leh...

btw where to turn on the cleartype feature ahz?...cant find it leh....btw mine is integrated graphics one...

halamak boh pian lah. for me the display is very important so I'd rather sacrifice for a slower processor than to sacrifice on the screen. Yours is probably not a UltraSharp panel too.

anyway to turn on cleartype. right click on the desktop select property. go to apperance panel and click effects.

also try to use "normal font" rather than "large font" in the display settings as I find that tuning the fonts up to 125% doesn't give a very balanced sizing between graphics and text elements. this is a windows problem, nothing to do with your screen. anyway I don't think your panel is the good one (UltraSharp) since you have the integrated graphics.

hwchoy said:
halamak boh pian lah. for me the display is very important so I'd rather sacrifice for a slower processor than to sacrifice on the screen. Yours is probably not a UltraSharp panel too.

anyway to turn on cleartype. right click on the desktop select property. go to apperance panel and click effects.

also try to use "normal font" rather than "large font" in the display settings as I find that tuning the fonts up to 125% doesn't give a very balanced sizing between graphics and text elements. this is a windows problem, nothing to do with your screen. anyway I don't think your panel is the good one (UltraSharp) since you have the integrated graphics.

Ya leh..mine is the ultra sharp type but the lowest resolution one....

try cleartype liao.....but tink standard is better....

thanks anyway~!

Status
Not open for further replies.