About Crop-Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo_pro10

May 16, 2004
Rosyth Rd
photobucket.com
I'm a newbie in DSLR, so I would like to ask what is the total length if my camera is a 1.6x crop-factor & I'm using a 300mm lens. So how do u calculate??? :dunno:

Thanks for all replies. :D

Simple. Your len is a 300mm focal length. So of course it's a 300mm focal length.

latmo said:
300 x 1.6
so it is 480mm
Nope, it is not. A 300mm len is 300mm, how can it be 480mm? Unless you're using a teleconverter, else the distance remains the same.

latmo said:
300 x 1.6
so it is 480mm

Nope, its like espn says, a 300mm lens, is a 300mm lens. You don't magically get a longer focal range just because you're using a DSLR. What you do get is the field of view equivalent to a 480mm lens.

Gymrat76 said:
Nope, its like espn says, a 300mm lens, is a 300mm lens. You don't magically get a longer focal range just because you're using a DSLR. What you do get is the field of view equivalent to a 480mm lens.

So does that mean tat u will get 480mm when on LCD display or printing out........???

i suppose u get an image of 480mm equalvient. only FOV changed, focal length changed.

Adzz said:
i suppose u get an image of 480mm equalvient. only FOV changed, focal length changed.
Nope, focal length didn't change, your focal view angle changed.

Yup although technically you are not getting a 480mm image, you get what appears to be a 480 mm image. Its similar to the crop tool in photoshop if you could look at it that way...

espn said:
Nope, focal length didn't change, your focal view angle changed.

oops. typed wrongly. hehe. yea. focal length unchanged. silly me.

majere2sg said:
The size of the image will be the same as a 480mm lens mounted on a full frame body but the EXIF info of the image will still show as 300mm as it is cropped.
What does EXIF info mean???

Status
Not open for further replies.