About commander & slave flash..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
was considering getting an external flash unit for my nikon D50 and read about people talking abt wireless control and commmander mode and slave flash....

from what i seem to sort out (can't quite understand), commander mode not on nikon D50 will require nikon speedlight SB-800 to have the commander mode on the flash, and this commander mode seems to be a wireless remote control to control flash output from a 2nd external flash (slave) not put on the horseshoe of my camera, am i rite to say that?

which means that there is no pt of me worrying abt this wireless thingy if i intend to shoot only with 1 external flash attached to my nikon D50?

but what i'm confused with is, if i subsequently want to use a wireless remote control to shoot bulb mode on my nikon D50, does the wireless remote control need to have a corresponding wireless feature on the flash? me knew next to nothing abt flash, so what i gather is that i should have already preset the flash setting on my camera body and switch to bulb mode and when i'm ready to shoot, i will press the wireless remote control and the camera body will fire off the shoot with the flash, am i rite to say that too?

may be getting a SB-800 from HK, but after reading KRW's review, may consider getting SB-600 in view of light weight, being a newbie and no $.

Hi there,

Please read my response in Italic Blue.

zoossh said:
commander mode seems to be a wireless remote control to control flash output from a 2nd external flash (slave) not put on the horseshoe of my camera, am i rite to say that?
Yes, you can set flash mode, flash output level compensation values for other slaves flash via the commander mode.

zoossh said:
which means that there is no pt of me worrying abt this wireless thingy if i intend to shoot only with 1 external flash attached to my nikon D50?
Yap, unless you planned to do macro or CLS (Creative Lighting System) next time.

zoossh said:
but what i'm confused with is, if i subsequently want to use a wireless remote control to shoot bulb mode on my nikon D50, does the wireless remote control need to have a corresponding wireless feature on the flash? me knew next to nothing abt flash, so what i gather is that i should have already preset the flash setting on my camera body and switch to bulb mode and when i'm ready to shoot, i will press the wireless remote control and the camera body will fire off the shoot with the flash, am i rite to say that too?
Sorry, don't really understand the whole paragraph here. I think you are mixing up quite a few things about Bulb Mode, Flash and Wireless Remote Control that trigger the Shutter Release.

Bulb Mode found in Shutter Priority Mode, it is whereby you hold the shutter open as long as you don't let go of your Shutter Release Button, it is used mainly for taking star trails or other creative night photography techniques. Not sure why you want to use flash for Bulb Mode.

For the wireless remote control feature you are talking about, I presume that it is those to activate the Shutter Release Button. It controls the camera which in turns trigger the flash to fire via the Hot-shoe contacts.

Hope that helps to clarify a bit.

If you not going to do CLS no point getting the SB800.
SB600 is lighter, cheaper but power lower and no command mode, work as slave.
It will work like the build in flash but better.

YMMV:dunno:

buy the SB600 first

and if you want to do CLS later you need to get another flash, right?
then buy the SB800 lor

Creative Lighting System is something such as those systems set up to shoot a water droplet rite? i saw some kind of "circuit" those photo magazines have suggested in shooting this kind of photos, almost like product shoot yah?

zoossh said:
Creative Lighting System is something such as those systems set up to shoot a water droplet rite? i saw some kind of "circuit" those photo magazines have suggested in shooting this kind of photos, almost like product shoot yah?
Using D50 build-in flash you can also take a water droplet. You need only imagination.

What kind of 'circuit'? Electronic circuit or something else?

Regards,
Arto.

zoossh said:
The wireless remote control (InfraRed Remote control such as ML-L3) have no relation with Wireless flash (or CLS) system.

If you set up wireless flash, and use InfraRed Wireless Remote control to trigger shutter release:
You press InfraRed Wireless Remote button ==> it will trigger Camera ==> Camera will trigger flash.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Using D50 build-in flash you can also take a water droplet. You need only imagination.

What kind of 'circuit'? Electronic circuit or something else?

Regards,
Arto.

saw those magazines put the object in the centre, a card for background, the camera, the flash, some reflectors and a trigger cable.

longkangman said:
You can use the ML-3 and set it to trigger mode once the IR line of sight is cut it will start trigger the camera to capture action.

think won't be getting ML-3 cos the sensor is in front of the camera. think will just use the 2 secs delay trick instead of getting a cable (that add on to my travel weight)

Status
Not open for further replies.