Able to extract data from a spoilt portable hard disk?

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
Hey guys, I'm not a very tech savy person. My only portable hard disk has crashed after a lot of droppings on the floor. Unfortunately, I didn't back it up. All my pictures and stuff are inside. Is there any place or any way I can extract it? A nominal fee is ok.

It might just be a connection error of something. Who knows.

Thanks!

is your pc/laptop able to detect the hdd? if so... u can still copy the files to your desktop.

u can use another pc or laptop try connect to it to check if can detect. try using a different cable it it doesn't. if all fails, means your hdd is dead already.

Last edited:
Nope. There's no light at all. Haven't tried other laptops though. Usually, there'll be some vibration when it is plugged in. But now there's nothing.

Nope. There's no light at all. Haven't tried other laptops though. Usually, there'll be some vibration when it is plugged in. But now there's nothing.

very high chance its dead. try using a different cable? if u got space casing, try move the hdd to another casing and pray that its only the connector having problem.

very high chance its dead. try using a different cable? if u got space casing, try move the hdd to another casing and pray that its only the connector having problem.
yes that's the best thing to do. I have seen USB drives fail because the IO chips inside the USB interface have gone bad. usually mounting it on another USB case helps.

Since you say no light at all, there's the slim chance that it's the casing USB circuit that's spoilt and not the hard disk itself.
Usually hard disk spoilt there's still some light.

You'd need to remove the casing and plug the hard disk into another casing or direct into a PC to check.

Thanks guys! I'll try to get it checked. My hard disk is a Toshiba one that comes with a casing. Is there any shops in Sim Lim or Funan I can get it opened?

lamergod said:
Thanks guys! I'll try to get it checked. My hard disk is a Toshiba one that comes with a casing. Is there any shops in Sim Lim or Funan I can get it opened?

u can get an oem brand

Hey guys, I'm not a very tech savy person. My only portable hard disk has crashed after a lot of droppings on the floor. Unfortunately, I didn't back it up. All my pictures and stuff are inside. Is there any place or any way I can extract it? A nominal fee is ok.

It might just be a connection error of something. Who knows.

Thanks!

One thing I learned when I was working in Seagate, the hark disk manufacturer, is that hard disk is not "tough" disk.

They are as fragile as glass.