Ability to choose focus AFTER the shot is taken...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinken

Jun 9, 2005
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
Heard over the radio that a sensor chip had also been invented that enables extremely high ISO to take extremely clean photos in conditions that appears to be darkness to the naked eye.

melnjes

Aug 12, 2003
I read about the plenoptic camera more than a month back. Quite an amazing piece of work isn't it?

Was the news about the high ISO sensor just out today?

shinken

Jun 9, 2005
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
No, a few weeks back... less than a month? So sorry, forgot the details... only remember the ultra high ISO part, and it came from a university research lab somewhere.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
In the Stanford prototype the microlens array has a resolution of 296 X 296 pixels and a 4000 X 4000 sensor is required to capture the light field. Seems like an array of 13 X 13 pixels is used to capture the image produced by each mico-lens. At that ratio a 50MP sensor is required to produce a VGA reolution image. Very neat idea but I am not sure how long it will take before we can get 5MP image resolutions....

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
roygoh said:
In the Stanford prototype the microlens array has a resolution of 296 X 296 pixels and a 4000 X 4000 sensor is required to capture the light field. Seems like an array of 13 X 13 pixels is used to capture the image produced by each mico-lens. At that ratio a 50MP sensor is required to produce a VGA reolution image. Very neat idea but I am not sure how long it will take before we can get 5MP image resolutions....
I remember not too long ago I was wondering how long it would take to go beyond 640 x 480 resolution for a digital camera. The answer is that it took a shorter time than I expected.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
StreetShooter said:
I remember not too long ago I was wondering how long it would take to go beyond 640 x 480 resolution for a digital camera. The answer is that it took a shorter time than I expected.
Hehe...it took about 4 years to get from VGA to 5MP, I guesstimate.

So it will probably take less than that to get to a 50MP sensor to deliver the 640X480 image using current plenoptic technology.

I think the advancement will be achieved via 2 parallel paths: higher resolution sensors and better processing techniques that require a smaller pixel grid per micro-lens to achieve the same effects.

So it is very possible that a 10-to-1 ratio can be achieved so that a 50MP sensor can deliver a 5MP image using plenoptic photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom