ABetterbouncecard Feather "Pro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammie

Jun 29, 2004
Tiong Bahru
I am vivid fan of the abetterbouncecard. Recently, I get to test out the ABBC feather light, its great for portraits without the hot spot. One thing bad is that, it send forward less light and it can cause problem with wide shot or group shot. So I decided to make a 2 in 1 ABBC.

DSCF9159.jpg

The Feather "Pro" AkA normal ABBC

DSCF9160.jpg

The Feather "Pro" AkA ABBC feather light

It is made up of black and white foam stuck together with the 2 inch flipable panel. Group use the normal ABBC, portraits flip the panel back.

Along the way, I discover some good improvement. The black backing prevent light from spilling backward therefore focusing all the light to the front. The white foam is not completely light proof. 2nd, its black and it look pro. At least to me. 3rd, with 2 foam combined, a degree of rigidness is present. This allow you to adjust the angle of attack to a certain degree when you slap it down. Want it back to normal, just squeeze it back to the up position.

DSCF9161.jpg

Normal mode

DSCF9162.jpg

Feather mode

How to make one

The idea is straight forward. 1 black foam and 1 white foam. The white foam cut into 3 parts with the 2 inch center. Cut the black foam a litter wider to accommodate the white foam so it will not out of shape when it bend.

When sticking the white foam on to the black foam, leave a extra leeway for the center panel and not paste it exactly flush together on top. This is to prevent having trouble fitting it back from feather mode because it is too tight. Best to go form the ABBC around the flash head and get the measurement.

What glue to use, I personally use white glue. It sticks and when you smudge, it dries clear so it won't affect the card performance.

Flipping anchor point. You can use whatever that suits but I punched a hole and used cable tie. Adjust the cable tie until you can flip the panel with no issue and when in portrait mode it wont dangle.

White and black foam all can be gotten from Arts Friends. Velcro from Daiso. Remember to use a sharp knife to cut else the edges will fray.

Last edited:
Bro,

Really slick job. :thumbsup:

Good job! But what for?

I saw a guy at Mt Faber sometimes back.

He also used a DIY reflector - size maybe bet. a5/a4 and looked obviously top heavy, CG is way out!.

Any while walking by the road, when a bus went pass, he actually had to avoid the 'wind'!!!

Really what for - for a marginally improvement? I doubt it will be of practical significant, if there is.

I had my cam there also and used the simple demi... one - life is so simple and enjoyable...

Good job! But what for?

He also used a DIY reflector - size maybe bet. a5/a4 and looked obviously top heavy, CG is way out!.

Any while walking by the road, when a bus went pass, he actually had to avoid the 'wind'!!!

Really what for - for a marginally improvement? I doubt it will be of practical significant, if there is.

I had my cam there also and used the simple demi... one - life is so simple and enjoyable...

Its a matter of preference.

There is a new ABBC call ABBC Ultimate. I realise mine works almost the same way with some strap adjustment. Now is not 2 in 1 but 3 in 1.

I am a fan of the ABBC too and this one really works nicely for portraits...BTW, I tried with the beige coloured foam and worked exactly as I expected, gives a warmer tone.

maybe some sample shots would be nice

Here is one... This is using beige foam. You can actually modify by adding a portion of the beige foam with white foam which will give you a less tungsten look.

Last edited:
Upping this... I went to Art's Friend yesterday and grabbed a foam board but I think I bought the wrong one. The foam board I got was very stiff an when you bend it, it breaks like a thin piece of wood.

What do you call the soft one? And they seem to only have white :(

Upping this... I went to Art's Friend yesterday and grabbed a foam board but I think I bought the wrong one. The foam board I got was very stiff an when you bend it, it breaks like a thin piece of wood.

What do you call the soft one? And they seem to only have white :(

You should be asking them for foam paper....not foam board. :)

:sigh: I asked the lady there if there's softer foam material and she rudely said "no no, that's the softest..."

Thanks for the info Liquidity, I'll go back on Monday. (Now I can make mini reflectors for still-life with that foam board hehe)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Impressive.

didn't know it was from there :sweat:

Good job! But what for?

The feather works and the improvement is more than marginal.

I think the TS done a great job by sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.