Abandoned

silvermark

Aug 7, 2011
IMG_0487.jpg

In what area is critique to be sought?
Framing, Composition, color grading, etc

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
An abandoned statue, neglected. trying to achieve that 'sad & abandoned' look

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
shot at about 5pm with sun still shining at it's best
feeling somehwat pity why this buddha statue neglected

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
as there is another existing identical statue just right behind the first one, it made it seems abit awkward to have slight appearance of "extra body"
i should've try different angles to capture it as "one body"

I do not like the framing and composition you have chosen, It is too direct, too straight on with lots of elements and space that do not matter.

I also do not see the abandoned part of the story. Those statues look like that they are placed there temporarily awaiting for some further action. They are placed with care on those wooden blocks neatly. There are also potted plants placed neatly beside it. Certainly does not look abandoned to me.

For your concept to work, you need to be able to show what your title suggests.

It actually looks better with two because otherwise the subject matter would be a bit plain with one. You've done okay with the colour. Composition could have been wider to show more of the courtyard, unless it's not as abandoned as you're making it out to be. On that note, the potted plants are a big distraction, no chance of smashing them with a hammer or something? :p If not, there's 2-3 red things hanging from the first plant, you might want to clone them away. It's screaming "Humans about".

"Abandoned/neglected" does not mean 'thrown away'. It means something/one that you may have once cared or wished to keep but now no longer wish to retain, or to have discontinued interest. In that sense plus the logic that it needed at least a forklift to move means having a pallet under it makes good reasoning. The potted plant's I've covered. If something was thrown away, they would be broken up in a rubbish pile.

I don't think any elaborate composition is required here, firstly space is what's needed to portray being abandoned. Secondly, the statue is horizontal. Keeping this perspective with strong lines in the foreground & background only serves to enhance the subject matter. Trying to approach from an angle would give issue to achieving complete DOF to subject, plus you might end up framing more distractions that you'll like. Seeing it in abstract terms wouldn't give an impression on 'abandoned' at all. Just another statue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys

I actually grasped the theme of "abandoned" by the fact that this statue placed just about 5 footsteps away from small mountain of unwanted stuff.
maybe i can strengthen the word of "abandoned" in this picture by adding that pile of rubbish as a background to give that perspective of 'thrown away'

But anyway thanks again for the input, helped me to see some of the elements that i overlooked :)

Inviting other members to help me improve my knowledge

any more critique ? :D

For myself, If I were to choose this titled "abandoned" then I would tell myself how to capture this "abandoned" feel through this environment I felt when I saw this status. Is it because of the surrounding that made me feel this way? Most likely it is the surrounding, if it does, then I would tell myself how to use the environment to add into the picture to make it looks really like "abandoned". From what I see, the wall behind the status should be high. Maybe, I would want to shoot from the bottom all the way up showing 1/3 of the status with the walls and the sky. But its depend on how the environment suit your title "abandoned". Hope it help. Try many angles next time when you are planning a shoot.. :)

Doesn't feel "abandoned" to me, at most "ignored". If there's wild grass growing out of it, surface peeling off and weathered, or statues are crack/broken, then that would transmit the idea of being abandoned. Moreover, both statues are placed parallel in an orderly fashion.

The worst part is you actually imposed order by virtue of your direct framing. Abandonment and order don't exactly associate together. Why would one care about the physical arrangement if the items are unwanted and discarded? To enhance idea of abandonment, there should be some degree/element of chaos/carelessness. Hope you get what I am trying to put across.
:)