Abandoned, wreaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildsoyabean

Sep 28, 2008
Okie...my first time posting...im a noob ...yea

heres the photo
2nov2.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

composition, posititon, anything that can be improve on...does this successful display what i hope to portray...
i notice a piece of leaf which i should have taken away... oh well..but i only saw it when doing pp.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

i hope to get the feeling of being left behind, being abandoned, the feel of no one cares.
in a certain sense a feeling of desperation, of wanting someone to something to take a look at you and do something about you.

i turned the picture B&W to represent desolation.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

physical: at my void deck iso 200, f5, 1/3s, with 18-55mm @ 22mm.
i didnt touch anything...i just took what i saw...

emotional: i guess...i felt something like this in this season of my life. i left the tree there...cos i am reminded somehow that there is still shelter even in times of desperation.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

i think this picture could be a bit plain...i dunno... C&C welcome.
please let me know...so i can improve better
thanks

Last edited:
I don't quite like this picture to be honest. The tree is a big distraction and doesn't appear to add anything. The BW is pretty poorly done too.

slanted horizon, handshake (background), bad harsh lighting, lack of focus on subject (the tree disracting)

try another angle where the background is cleaner (no tree) and maybe a tighter crop and use @ 55mm with biggest aperature to get some bokeh in

use a tripod if you have one and dial down the flash abit, the reflection too much already

slanted horizon, handshake (background), bad harsh lighting, lack of focus on subject (the tree disracting)

try another angle where the background is cleaner (no tree) and maybe a tighter crop and use @ 55mm with biggest aperature to get some bokeh in

use a tripod if you have one and dial down the flash abit, the reflection too much already

note taken ...thanks

yea didnt realise the slant horizon...

how to dial down the flash? im using D80 nikon.
do u mean lower flash exposure?

Yup, he means to either reduce flash exposure (ie power) or use a diffuser of some sort, since you can see the harshness on the can. For most people, a slanted horizon, which isn't slanted enough to show that it's intentional, is bad since it kinda reflects a lack of technique.

As for the bokeh thing, you can take it with a pinch of salt since not every picture needs to be isolated and sometimes the background environment is just as important in showing the context of the picture.

Something I always look out for, the tilts. If they are present.
So, here's what I have to say.

You have tilt which does not contribute to the shot in any way.
The tree is indeed very distracting. Maybe, go for a wider shot with the leaves and all included. Otherwise, I really see the need to change the angle.
Your colours aren't appealing too.

Basically, what others have mentioned.

Something I always look out for, the tilts. If they are present.
So, here's what I have to say.

You have tilt which does not contribute to the shot in any way.
The tree is indeed very distracting. Maybe, go for a wider shot with the leaves and all included. Otherwise, I really see the need to change the angle.
Your colours aren't appealing too.

Basically, what others have mentioned.

Yup, he means to either reduce flash exposure (ie power) or use a diffuser of some sort, since you can see the harshness on the can. For most people, a slanted horizon, which isn't slanted enough to show that it's intentional, is bad since it kinda reflects a lack of technique.

As for the bokeh thing, you can take it with a pinch of salt since not every picture needs to be isolated and sometimes the background environment is just as important in showing the context of the picture.

thanks ...point taken. will improve next try:D
ha i was standing on uneven ground holding my cam parallel to my body-like usual...thats why end up got tilt...my bad:sweat:

It's actually fixable in photoshop easily, with the rotate function.

Thanks thanks...
will take note...and improve my photos =)

any just curious anyway to let ur flash power become lesser without using diffuser...im using d-80...build in flash.

Thanks thanks...
will take note...and improve my photos =)

any just curious anyway to let ur flash power become lesser without using diffuser...im using d-80...build in flash.

I don't really like the B&W, maybe a little grainy might help...my 2 cents...

as for built in flash, I know in canon there is a flash exposure, u can dial it down by 1/3 1/2 depending how soft you might want it. Should be the same as Nikon.

The composition is weak. There are a few distracting elements - the leaf in the foreground, which you've already pointed out, the tree trunk, and the streaks of motion blur lights in the background. If you want it to look abandoned, it should be a lone subject at the very least, no?

B&W conversion does not magically portray the mood of desolation or isolation. Here is an example of an image that is B&W but does not portray isolation/desolation/something or someone being abandoned:

4395b1a0e8c8576d261e52d9ab4fc663.jpg

Your image can be improved in terms of execution, not so much post-processing. The execution lets the image down, and no amount of post-work will save it.

The composition is weak. There are a few distracting elements - the leaf in the foreground, which you've already pointed out, the tree trunk, and the streaks of motion blur lights in the background. If you want it to look abandoned, it should be a lone subject at the very least, no?

B&W conversion does not magically portray the mood of desolation or isolation. Here is an example of an image that is B&W but does not portray isolation/desolation/something or someone being abandoned:

4395b1a0e8c8576d261e52d9ab4fc663.jpg

Your image can be improved in terms of execution, not so much post-processing. The execution lets the image down, and no amount of post-work will save it.

yeah thanks...ha pretty girl:thumbsup:
the tree truck cant be help much for this case... cos i didnt wanna touch that thing...not mine....i could certainly have done a better crop though

10.44.010 Generally.

In addition to and in accordance with the determination made and the authority granted by the state of California under Section 22660 of the Vehicle Code to remove abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicles or parts thereof as public nuisances, the city council makes the findings and declarations set forth in BMC 10.44.030 and 10.44.040. (Ord. 109-C M.C. § 1, 1968).
10.44.020 Definitions.

The following words are defined for use in this chapter:

A. “Highway” means a way or place of whatever nature, publicly maintained and open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. “Highway” includes streets.

B. “Vehicle” means a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved or drawn upon a highway, except a device moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. (Ord. 93-2 N.S. § 1, 1993; Ord. 109-C M.C. § 1, 1968).
10.44.030 Findings.

The accumulation and storage of abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicles or parts thereof on private or public property, not including highways, is found to create a condition tending to reduce the value of private property, to promote blight and deterioration, to invite plundering, to create fire hazards, to constitute an attractive nuisance creating a hazard to the health and safety of minors, to create a harborage for rodents and insects, and to be injurious to the health, safety and general welfare. Therefore, the presence of an abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicle or part thereof on private or public property, except as expressly permitted in this chapter, is declared to constitute a public nuisance which may be abated as such in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. (Ord. 93-2 N.S. § 2, 1993; Ord. 109-C M.C. § 1, 1968).:dunno:
Invitation Letter

lol a spam acutally dig this out..2nd Nov 2008
when i had invest only on a d80 + 18-55

look how much i spent now...BBB virus haha..
thank God i got most of the stuff i wanted

Many, if not all does not understand that,especially in traditional taoism believe ( hope I will not be penalise for off tracking again ), any items that associates with dieties or similar, will have to be disposed by the side/roots of a tree ( a grown tree ). Be it supersitious or religious believe.

So much written, therefore this/the tree will definitely inevitable to be included, ( you guys
just be observant on any abandoned religious items ).

As for other viewers, they might have no clue of what's that item. ( it is a joss paper offering burner ).

For a photo-reportage ( journalism ) type of picture, this photo does not carry any story.
Technically wise, this shouldn't have taken with a flash, it would be better to shoot with existing ambient lighting or done in the day.

No comments on horizon or out of focus stuff unless it is architecture or interiors photography.

Last edited:
Nice try :) you could have picked a better subject

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.