Abandoned Village

hateom

Jul 15, 2011
Limassol, Cyprus
nawyspie.net
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, technique, colors, editing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Show the specific vibe of the abandoned village

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Afternoon, Agios Sozomenos, abandoned village in Cyprus. It was a really hot day. Absolutely noone in the range of a few kilometers.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I used circular polariser with an ultra wide lens, and sky is a bit shaded, but I kind of like it how it turned out.

ag_sozomenos_m-5.jpg

Last edited:
major inclusion of road has lessened the importance of the structures. This shot can be the start of its series but not the cover shot.

Would either climb the rocky outcrop to the right and shoot from an elevated position to sweep the entire village, also better to illustrate its uninhabited surroundings. Or move into the village itself because right now can't see beyond the three structures.

I love the textures but can't appreciate the "darkened" sky, it looks very strange and taking lots of attention from what's really important.

Would either climb the rocky outcrop to the right and shoot from an elevated position to sweep the entire village, also better to illustrate its uninhabited surroundings. Or move into the village itself because right now can't see beyond the three structures. .

This is an interesting angle.. personally, I would also take a look at the surrounding. I could see some other buildings behind the tree.. I would ask myself will that make it more interesting or making it more distracting as a backdrop. Then, I would think of the horizon as well. By shooting from the bottom lying on the middle or just a few inches away of the road before the ruins building that meets the horizon at the end with an Ultra wide-angle or fish-eye lens. Will it be intertesting? I like lines that leads to the horizon.. hehee

major inclusion of road has lessened the importance of the structures. This shot can be the start of its series but not the cover shot.

I love the textures but can't appreciate the "darkened" sky, it looks very strange and taking lots of attention from what's really important.

I too agree with what has mentioned about the edited sky! It should have been left as it is. If you darken, do it to the whole sky area but a little. Further I would suggest to crop about 1/5th from bottom and about 1/6th from the top and make it panoramic.

The lonely clouds in the far end adds something better to the image.

Well done!

I too agree with what has mentioned about the edited sky! It should have been left as it is. If you darken, do it to the whole sky area but a little. Further I would suggest to crop about 1/5th from bottom and about 1/6th from the top and make it panoramic.

The lonely clouds in the far end adds something better to the image.

Well done!

Thanks! Actually the sky is not edited (the contrast was increased on the whole image) but I used a circular polariser with wide angle lens, and that caused this effect.
Thanks again for your suggestions, they are very helpful.