AA battery for KR?

iceshu

Jan 3, 2011
I wish to purchase a second set of battery to back up my KR when I'm overseas. I expect to travel to locations where I may not easily access any charging points. Right now I only have the standard lithium ion which I expect wouldnt last very long in cold conditions.

If I do get AA batteries wheres the best place to get the adapter and battery? Should I aim for eneloop?

iceshu said:
I wish to purchase a second set of battery to back up my KR when I'm overseas. I expect to travel to locations where I may not easily access any charging points. Right now I only have the standard lithium ion which I expect wouldnt last very long in cold conditions.

If I do get AA batteries wheres the best place to get the adapter and battery? Should I aim for eneloop?

I bought mine AA adapter 2 yrs back at SGcamerastore at Coleman street, excelsior shopping centre, still using it today. Been using Eneloop white colour rechargeable ,it keeps power even after many weeks in the bag. Now I heard the Eneloop black color is even better longer lasting. Try it.

If you really intend to use Pentax cameras that use AAs for a while, then I suggest to invest in a good charger from Maha Powerex (should be $80 - $90). Eneloop is ok, but you can also consider Imedions.

Do note that these batteries do take up a bit of weight though and it adds up quickly. The usual K-r Li-Ons will be lighter. My personal preference would have been to grab 4 or 5 of those 3rd party types from eBay after trying one.

I use an army of 20 eneloops. to power my camera and strobes, 2000mah eneloop can last for about 700+++ shots on my old kx. You can expect more shots if shooting in jpeg/turn off display.

I prefer to buy AA, as they can be easily interchanged with other devices. Even better if since you will have the AA battery holder, can just buy from convenience shop should anything goes wrong w your batteries :)

Last edited:
If you really intend to use Pentax cameras that use AAs for a while, then I suggest to invest in a good charger from Maha Powerex (should be $80 - $90). Eneloop is ok, but you can also consider Imedions.

Do note that these batteries do take up a bit of weight though and it adds up quickly. The usual K-r Li-Ons will be lighter. My personal preference would have been to grab 4 or 5 of those 3rd party types from eBay after trying one.

+1
Just get 3-4 more li-on spares on ebay.
Cheaper than a set of eneloops, lighter and larger battery capacity

I've the KR with only 1 original Lithium rechargeable battery as well as the AA adapter (lucky to get it as a package when I bought it from a Pentaxian on CS)

It's really a bit heavy to be carrying around the eneloop batteries unless you're using flashes and other stuff which also uses AA batteries than maybe it would make sense.

If it's just purely for the KR, maybe like what edutilos & pinholecam mentioned - the 3rd party lithium ones off eBay would be a cheaper and lighter option. :)