A7s at the Night Safari

Hi Rodney, it has been 2 weeks since u have the Sony a7s. Any updates on the handling if the camera?

Handling of the camera is a breeze but shooting with the A7s Slog2 takes some getting used to!
I have almost no experience shooting CLog or with BlackMagic so seeing the world in greyish tones is a little unsettling. I still tend to over expose my highlights even with zebras turned on. So far, I've been shooting only in AVCHD as FCP7 does not recognise the XAVCs codec. As a result, the lattitude for color grading is not as good as 4:2:2. But I'm still happy with the wider dynamic range vis-a-vis my previous camera.

For available light shooting, the camera is perfect. But when it comes to lighting for an interview, I haven't quite nail it yet. More factors are at play now: lighting ratio, the minimum ISO 3200 (in Slog2), color shifts using ND filters. The usual approach of setting up lights first then getting the talent in for minor adjustment now doesn't seem adequate. I think for future shoots, I will need a stand-in until I figure out a new lighting strategy.
The A7s doesn't offer the same familiarity in terms of how lighting ratios play out. Perhaps a better way could be gradually adding light from some distance away instead of cutting light. Certainly, the extra sensitivity forces me to rethink my usual habits.
As with all cameras, it will take some getting used to but overall, I'm very pleased with the A7s.
There is something strange about power management as noted by several users. The battery seems to discharge when left in the camera. A completely charged battery could lose as much as 70% over 4 days. Is that the case with A7R?

Handling of the camera is a breeze but shooting with the A7s Slog2 takes some getting used to!
I have almost no experience shooting CLog or with BlackMagic so seeing the world in greyish tones is a little unsettling. I still tend to over expose my highlights even with zebras turned on. So far, I've been shooting only in AVCHD as FCP7 does not recognise the XAVCs codec. As a result, the lattitude for color grading is not as good as 4:2:2. But I'm still happy with the wider dynamic range vis-a-vis my previous camera.

For available light shooting, the camera is perfect. But when it comes to lighting for an interview, I haven't quite nail it yet. More factors are at play now: lighting ratio, the minimum ISO 3200 (in Slog2), color shifts using ND filters. The usual approach of setting up lights first then getting the talent in for minor adjustment now doesn't seem adequate. I think for future shoots, I will need a stand-in until I figure out a new lighting strategy.
The A7s doesn't offer the same familiarity in terms of how lighting ratios play out. Perhaps a better way could be gradually adding light from some distance away instead of cutting light. Certainly, the extra sensitivity forces me to rethink my usual habits.
As with all cameras, it will take some getting used to but overall, I'm very pleased with the A7s.
There is something strange about power management as noted by several users. The battery seems to discharge when left in the camera. A completely charged battery could lose as much as 70% over 4 days. Is that the case with A7R?

Thanks for the update. Things like Slog2 and Clog is really puzzling for me with no video background. I do hope that Sony produce a slow mo cam at a7r size. haha. If you can share about the slow mo capability of the the a7s, it will be great.

For a7r, i have heard about the battery discharge from this forum (Sony section) and about the fake batteries. But i have not come across it personally. In my own experience, after 4 days, it drops only about 2%.

I do, on many occasions, forget to switch off for one to few days. That's when the consumption was 60% dropped.

Hope this helps.

Maybe you could turn Airplane Mode to off?

Thanks for the update. Things like Slog2 and Clog is really puzzling for me with no video background. I do hope that Sony produce a slow mo cam at a7r size. haha. If you can share about the slow mo capability of the the a7s, it will be great.

For a7r, i have heard about the battery discharge from this forum (Sony section) and about the fake batteries. But i have not come across it personally. In my own experience, after 4 days, it drops only about 2%.

I do, on many occasions, forget to switch off for one to few days. That's when the consumption was 60% dropped.

Hope this helps.

SLog2 for bright and sunny natural lighting conditions. grades super beautifully! it actually helps to preserve your highlights dynamic range, more importantly for skin tones.

What sort of monster computers are u guys running w this?

I just bought a 27 inch iMac w core 7 n 16 G ram. Hope it's enough

wah monster sia. I wanna claim money from govt to buy iMacs... I'm on a MBP only. confirm cannot take 4K

Am on first generation MBP retina running FCPX 1006. Tried putting GH4 4k .mov file. My goodness. FCPX was stuttering. But the same file played well in VLC. So I transcode it to 4k Prores 422. It ran very well in FCPX. SSD readout was about 60MB/s. Tried two layers, with top layer set to overlay. SSD readout at about 120MB/s. FCPX was still running well. Didn't try third layer.
But the 3min clip at 4k Prores 422 rack up 10GB.... This kind of file size and Transfer rate will mean new Raid 0 drives on thunderbolt/USB3 which I don't have now!

Am on first generation MBP retina running FCPX 1006. Tried putting GH4 4k .mov file. My goodness. FCPX was stuttering. But the same file played well in VLC. So I transcode it to 4k Prores 422. It ran very well in FCPX. SSD readout was about 60MB/s. Tried two layers, with top layer set to overlay. SSD readout at about 120MB/s. FCPX was still running well. Didn't try third layer.
But the 3min clip at 4k Prores 422 rack up 10GB.... This kind of file size and Transfer rate will mean new Raid 0 drives on thunderbolt/USB3 which I don't have now!

Hahah.. Mine is 2nd gen 2010 MBP.... still on Snow Leopard..4K will lag the whole thing I bet.