a75 & a80 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physical-Graffiti

Aug 24, 2004
hi! i am new to this forum, and this is my first post! :)

I am planning to invest on my first digital camera, and after looking at some sites and fiddling with my friend's a40..i've narrowed down to these 2.

I was wondering, apart from their

- LCD size
- megapixels
- video clip differences... and maybe some others

are there any "hidden" differences that a newbie like me wont know...e.g:

Is the a75 startup more faster then the a80?....or different shutter lag...or does the a75 have a longer battery life...etc

thanks for reading.

Physical-Graffiti said:
hi! i am new to this forum, and this is my first post! :)

I am planning to invest on my first digital camera, and after looking at some sites and fiddling with my friend's a40..i've narrowed down to these 2.

I was wondering, apart from their

- LCD size
- megapixels
- video clip differences... and maybe some others

are there any "hidden" differences that a newbie like me wont know...e.g:

Is the a75 startup more faster then the a80?....or different shutter lag...or does the a75 have a longer battery life...etc

thanks for reading.

For closer look :
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...debyside&cameras=canon_a75,canon_a80&show=all

Just some "hidden" diff.
1. Sensor size
2. Auto focus type
3. Continuous Drive

For the details, check out the link and click on the "?" icon for more.

cheers!
;)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a75_pg7.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a80_pg5.html

the a75 is slightly newer than a80. also has a bit more functions. either camera, u can't go wrong. :D

i intro my fren to buying the A75 for his family's alaska trip in jun this yr. since both hubby and wife got no time to really read the manual, he wanted me to find something that's relatively idiot-proof. so, when i let them try the A75 at the shop, it took them less than 10mins to figure out how to use it. in the end, they din even need to read the manual and took pretty good pics. and... dat was using Auto funct all the way! :bsmilie:

if u want to see how the pic quality is like for both cam, can try browsing ard the sports and reportage section for the recent fireworks fest. a number of shooters who posted their pics used either the A75 or A80 to take fireworks. ;)

Both the A75 and A80 are very good cameras. You will not go wrong with either one. IMHO, the choice will be base on the price.
At Comex 04, Canon is selling the A75 for $499 and the A80 for $649. So the difference in pricing between the 2 is $150.
Understand that you might be able to get the A75 for $420 and the A80 for $550, if you were to purchase it outside. But then not sure if the freebies available at Comex is included!

A80 will be a better choice if i were you. Coz A80 using a better sensor, so meaning less noisy and also come witht the very good Flip-out LCD which you can compose ur picture lower or higher ten ur eyes with ease.

oso more ex
just depends whether u need the flip out..n whether u think it's worth it to pay 100+ more for the flip out function

chunger said:
A80 will be a better choice if i were you. Coz A80 using a better sensor, so meaning less noisy and also come witht the very good Flip-out LCD which you can compose ur picture lower or higher ten ur eyes with ease.

chunger said:

What about A95? Now wondering if I should have waited for the A95? :dunno:

sunnyday said:
oso more ex
just depends whether u need the flip out..n whether u think it's worth it to pay 100+ more for the flip out function

Well, it is worth it. Anyway, not just that fliping LCD, the body more solid, lesser noisy( bigger CCD sensor).

If you ever try on both of the camera. A75 will feel like a piece of plastic while A80 really feel like a piece of solid camera.

Well, certainly $100+ more not just paying for nothing. You should go to any showroom or roadshow (Comex) to try out both of them.

amlim said:
What about A95? Now wondering if I should have waited for the A95? :dunno:

well not worth waiting for it. Except you are not comfortable with 1.5" LCD. If you want to know more, do go read up their review over the web. Those are more complete.

Sorry too tired to retype those point that you can get from the web.

Personally, i think 1.5" a bit too small but A95 is very ex, 200++ more than A80 if not wrong. So i dun think i will go for that since they still using the same size CCD sensor

i using a70..haha

chunger said:
Well, it is worth it. Anyway, not just that fliping LCD, the body more solid, lesser noisy( bigger CCD sensor).

If you ever try on both of the camera. A75 will feel like a piece of plastic while A80 really feel like a piece of solid camera.

Well, certainly $100+ more not just paying for nothing. You should go to any showroom or roadshow (Comex) to try out both of them.

chunger said:
well not worth waiting for it. Except you are not comfortable with 1.5" LCD. If you want to know more, do go read up their review over the web. Those are more complete.

Sorry too tired to retype those point that you can get from the web.

Personally, i think 1.5" a bit too small but A95 is very ex, 200++ more than A80 if not wrong. So i dun think i will go for that since they still using the same size CCD sensor

thanks, chunger .... but i read in a thread that at comex, price difference is about $50.. ie A95 at 699 and A80 at 649 ... i do agree the 1.5" lcd is a tad small :bsmilie:

$699 is the advertised price for A95 in the papers today.

amlim said:
thanks, chunger .... but i read in a thread that at comex, price difference is about $50.. ie A95 at 699 and A80 at 649 ... i do agree the 1.5" lcd is a tad small :bsmilie:

Oh yeah.. i also just read it. Coz last tiem b4 it came out which expected more ex than A80.. But if only $50 different ... can get the A95 lor. But i advice you to try both camera first... coz i dunno how good is the A95 build is.

chunger said:
Oh yeah.. i also just read it. Coz last tiem b4 it came out which expected more ex than A80.. But if only $50 different ... can get the A95 lor. But i advice you to try both camera first... coz i dunno how good is the A95 build is.

hi chunger,

actually i bought the a80 liao.. about 2 weeks ago... hehehe... i guess for a casual photographer like me, should not be much difference i hope....

since a95 is 5mp on same size ccd as a80, there could be more noise?

can seek your expertise? i am looking for a fairly cheap tripod that when folded is around 1 foot or so.. any recommendations? thanks :thumbsup:

amlim said:
hi chunger,

actually i bought the a80 liao.. about 2 weeks ago... hehehe... i guess for a casual photographer like me, should not be much difference i hope....

since a95 is 5mp on same size ccd as a80, there could be more noise?

can seek your expertise? i am looking for a fairly cheap tripod that when folded is around 1 foot or so.. any recommendations? thanks :thumbsup:

what does fairly cheap mean to you
less than 20 ? go carrerfour to have a look i think have one cost $19.9
less than 50 ? go to the second hand section look for some Slik tripod
less than 100 ? go to cathayphoto to look for some Slik tripod

thanks for you replies! :lovegrin:

forgotten to check the tread....anyhow.... what do you mean by more noise on the a95?

and i found out that the a95 dont have the c1,c2 on the dial...i think thats for your own customised settings if i am not wrong

latmo said:
what does fairly cheap mean to you
less than 20 ? go carrerfour to have a look i think have one cost $19.9
less than 50 ? go to the second hand section look for some Slik tripod
less than 100 ? go to cathayphoto to look for some Slik tripod

hi latmo,

thanks for the reply. you are right? how to ask for suggestion when i forgot to put down price range. silly me.

if i want to take nightshots and maybe fireworks, would the smaller tripods be enough? by small, i mean those that measure about 1 foot plus when folded. thanks.

amlim said:
hi latmo,

thanks for the reply. you are right? how to ask for suggestion when i forgot to put down price range. silly me.

if i want to take nightshots and maybe fireworks, would the smaller tripods be enough? by small, i mean those that measure about 1 foot plus when folded. thanks.

hm you are talking about those can fold into 1 foot one i kinda short around 120cm which you may have difficulty when you are behind some railing
if you want to get a good one with 1 foot i guess you can get Slik SPRINT MINI if you want to get a taller one then go for Slik SPRINT PRO $75 and $85 for 1st hand
if you want to get a cheap one the go to carrerfour $20 for a small one $30 for a taller one, not that good of cos.

Status
Not open for further replies.