A6000

Thanks - I guessed as much - but I came from the Olympus EM5 and all you had to do with that was to install the software driver when you connected the usb cable between camera and PC. It would then fire up a program which automatically checks for the camera firmware and the lens firmware and then gives you an option to update - but whether there was an updated firmware or not, the program would always automatically check the firmware for you.

When I plug in the A6000, it just gives me an option to download and install PlayMemories, which I did, but all that software seems to do is to want to transfer files from your camera and PC to the PlayMemories repository - I can find no function within that program to update or even check firmware!

Any guesses how this works on an A6000?

Click on setting to check firmware version and match with sony official website will do

Thanks - I guessed as much - but I came from the Olympus EM5 and all you had to do with that was to install the software driver when you connected the usb cable between camera and PC. It would then fire up a program which automatically checks for the camera firmware and the lens firmware and then gives you an option to update - but whether there was an updated firmware or not, the program would always automatically check the firmware for you. When I plug in the A6000, it just gives me an option to download and install PlayMemories, which I did, but all that software seems to do is to want to transfer files from your camera and PC to the PlayMemories repository - I can find no function within that program to update or even check firmware! Any guesses how this works on an A6000?
Yes, download the firmware installer from Sony. Since there is no firmware update out yet no such thing is available.

Any tips for selecting Flash for a6000? :D i'm still very new and not sure which one to pick

Any tips for selecting Flash for a6000? :D i'm still very new and not sure which one to pick

F43M..The 60 is too large and the 20 is too small..so you don't ahve any other choice :)

I personally have the F43. The F43 is almost the weight of the A6000 + SEL18105G. However, it is more versatile than the F20, despite the weight.

I was using the NEX version of the F20 with my old Camera, and it really is quite limiting. The ultimate deal-breaker is cannot do bounce-flash on portrait orientation (but old NEX camera uses the proprietary accessory terminal, so we even have lesser choice).

If u have the budget, I would buy both the F20 and F43.
So u can choose either one to bring out depending on situation. The F20 is useful as it can be used as a master to trigger the F43 on slave mode

Last edited:
I personally have the F43. The F43 is almost the weight of the A6000 + SEL18105G. However, it is more versatile than the F20, despite the weight.

I was using the NEX version of the F20 with my old Camera, and it really is quite limiting. The ultimate deal-breaker is cannot do bounce-flash on portrait orientation (but old NEX camera uses the proprietary accessory terminal, so we even have lesser choice).

If u have the budget, I would buy both the F20 and F43.
So u can choose either one to bring out depending on situation. The F20 is useful as it can be used as a master to trigger the F43 on slave mode

So mean if i want to used F20 i need to buy a converter? Standard to Sony Hotshoe? :D

So mean if i want to used F20 i need to buy a converter? Standard to Sony Hotshoe? :D

There are many versions of the F20.

The one I was using was the HVL-F20S. This is for NEX cameras that uses the proprietary shoe. U cannot use the NEX accessories on the A6000, and there is no converters available.

The one for the A6000 is the HVL-F20M.

There are many versions of the F20. The one I was using was the HVL-F20S. This is for NEX cameras that uses the proprietary shoe. U cannot use the NEX accessories on the A6000, and there is no converters available. The one for the A6000 is the HVL-F20M.

I heard the hotshoe is universal? So should be able to use it on 3rd party flash?

What straps do you guys use on your A6000? The one included from Sony is horrible! The material cuts into my neck!

How's the 16-70mm f4 performance in low light or indoor? Wish they could make it f2.8 at least.

How's the 16-70mm f4 performance in low light or indoor? Wish they could make it f2.8 at least.

Sony seems to be limiting their fixed aperture zoom lens to F4 :
SEL1018F4, SEL1670F4 and SEL18105G (F4 as well). Could be a technical decision as a F2.8 lens might be too large

My suspicion is, the other reason is so that some people would buy A mount lenses with adaptors and hopefully eventually buy a dslt camera as well for certain uses. Hence instead of just selling 1 system, those who are getting more involved into photography would eventually get 2 systems. Another reason you won't see e mount bodies with built in stabilisation.

My suspicion is, the other reason is so that some people would buy A mount lenses with adaptors and hopefully eventually buy a dslt camera as well for certain uses. Hence instead of just selling 1 system, those who are getting more involved into photography would eventually get 2 systems. Another reason you won't see e mount bodies with built in stabilisation.

Sony, for some reason, seems to favor OSS on the lens rather than on the body. I suspect that, by putting stabilisation on the body, they might not be able to make the body as small as they want to (Sony pride themselves into making Small but powerful cameras)

What straps do you guys use on your A6000? The one included from Sony is horrible! The material cuts into my neck!

The stock straps has always been horrible. The ones that came with my NEX-C3 was so terrible, that, during one of my trips to Japan, I had to make a trip to Yodobashi Akiba to buy a leather strap. I finally ported the strap over to my A6000

The A6000 strap actually looks quite nice, but its a pity that Sony never puts in much effort to designing a comfortable strap

Last edited:

Not good. Kinda disappointed with this tbh. From all initial reviews, the high ISO performance from the A6000 was supposed to be good, that's why I thought the f4 would be ok, but looks like I will be purchasing a 1.8 prime.

Aperture is not directly related to ISO noise.

Aperture is not directly related to ISO noise.

I think wat klim meant was that with initially expected good high iso performance, an f4 lens would be good enough in low light (using relatively high ISO & shutter speed). But it turned out to be not the case. Hence need f1.8 lens so that for the same shutter speed can use lower ISO.

I think wat klim meant was that with initially expected good high iso performance, an f4 lens would be good enough in low light (using relatively high ISO & shutter speed). But it turned out to be not the case. Hence need f1.8 lens so that for the same shutter speed can use lower ISO.

Thanks for the clarification, yes, that's what I meant. Maybe misguided, but I thought I could print out photos with an ISO of 3200 - looking at the pictures on my ipad, I don't think I'll be doing that.

Thanks for the clarification, yes, that's what I meant. Maybe misguided, but I thought I could print out photos with an ISO of 3200 - looking at the pictures on my ipad, I don't think I'll be doing that.

No problem. I have grappled with such issues too. Don't forget with f1.8 u might be able to use lower iso but u will have shallow dof. Sometimes tripod or flash is the only way.