A55 or A33 (is the $250 price difference worth it?)

jonipox

Oct 17, 2009
I want to know your thoughts whether it is worth it to get the a55 instead of the a33, with a $250 different. What else do you buy for $250 aside from the higher MP and gps?

didnt know that the sensor was different :eek:

i checked Sony Singapore Product Comparison, the type of sensor is similar, except for the MP:

A55
23.5 x 15.6mm (APS-C type), Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with RGB primary colour filter
A33
23.4 x 15.6mm (APS-C type), Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with RGB primary colour filter

No. of Pixels
A55
Total: 16.7 megapixels; Effective: 16.2 megapixels
A33
Total: 14.6 megapixels; Effective: 14.2 megapixels

Dust Reduction
A55
Charge protection coating on low pass filter and image-sensor shift mechanism
A33

Sensitivity
A55
Auto, ISO 100 to 12800 (in 1-stop increments, Recommended Exposure Index)
A33

Yes - sensor is different, and more importantly the burst rate and buffer is much larger in the A55. Burst rate is the key to many of the innovative capabilities of the new SLT cameras - like twilight, multi ISO, panorama etc. See the A55 review at luminous landscape for an excellent explanation of the breakthrough capabilities afforded by the high frame rate.

i checked Sony Singapore Product Comparison, the type of sensor is similar, except for the MP:

A55
23.5 x 15.6mm (APS-C type), Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with RGB primary colour filter
A33
23.4 x 15.6mm (APS-C type), Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor with RGB primary colour filter

No. of Pixels
A55
Total: 16.7 megapixels; Effective: 16.2 megapixels
A33
Total: 14.6 megapixels; Effective: 14.2 megapixels

Dust Reduction
A55
A33

Sensitivity
A55
A33

Sensor is definitely different, thus the difference in MP.

Same physical characteristics does not mean they are the same sensor. If so, that means A500/550/700/33/55/nex all have the same sensors?

Back to topic, in terms of iso performance, A55 has at least 1/2 stop better performance from iso800 onwards. And A55 seems to have better battery life as well.

Sensor is definitely different, thus the difference in MP.

Same physical characteristics does not mean they are the same sensor. If so, that means A500/550/700/33/55/nex all have the same sensors?

Back to topic, in terms of iso performance, A55 has at least 1/2 stop better performance from iso800 onwards. And A55 seems to have better battery life as well.

well, the A500, A550 are both having different sized sensor, but they are both the EXMOR sensor, and performs similar, just having different resolution.

I think this is what TS means by having "same sensor", IE its the same TYPE of sensor, just different resolution.

The NEX have the EXMOR-H sensor, which is similar in performance with the EXMOR, except that its "optimised for video" as explained by Sony (whatever the optimisation is I hv no idea lol). But performance wise it seems the EXMOR-H and EXMOR are similar as well, cant really see any differences (in still picture).

So generally, the EXMOR sensors all performs similarly IMO

Last edited:
I have the budget for A33 now, but don't know whether to save some more for the a55. the 1/2 stop difference in ISO as mentioned though could mean a lot in very low light conditions. I thought at first that a55 have a MF check like the a5x0, but sad to say don't have. I think ill find someone who can buy the 18250 lens at a cheaper price so we can both benefit with the a33/a55 + 18250 package.

By the way, anyone knows what shop is offering the best a33/a55 + 18250 package? what are the other freebies?

I have the budget for A33 now, but don't know whether to save some more for the a55. the 1/2 stop difference in ISO as mentioned though could mean a lot in very low light conditions. I thought at first that a55 have a MF check like the a5x0, but sad to say don't have. I think ill find someone who can buy the 18250 lens at a cheaper price so we can both benefit with the a33/a55 + 18250 package.

By the way, anyone knows what shop is offering the best a33/a55 + 18250 package? what are the other freebies?

MF, you mean manual focus magnification check ? A55 has it, and you can select 3 different magnification as well.

yes, thats it MF magnification check. I tried one on Sony wisma but i couldnt find the settings or button for that. the sony, sales representative couldnt show me how to do it neither. :D

yes, thats it MF magnification check. I tried one on Sony wisma but i couldnt find the settings or button for that. the sony, sales representative couldnt show me how to do it neither. :D

Need to enable in the menu to assign the "Bin" button for MF magnification. When enabled, press one time for 1x magnification, press more time to cycle through various magnification factor and back to full screen. Default is "OFF".

A55FocusMagnifier640x480.jpg

Last edited:
haha. no wonder i couldnt find it. :D they should put another logo on top of the trashcan. even the sony sales representative couldnt find this option. thanks guys.

i love this feature, makes me want to choose a55 than a33 more now. :)

haha. no wonder i couldnt find it. :D they should put another logo on top of the trashcan. even the sony sales representative couldnt find this option. thanks guys.

i love this feature, makes me want to choose a55 than a33 more now. :)

the A33 also have :sweat:

Every single function that exists in A55, exists in A33, except for GPS.

Main difference between A33 and A55 are

A55 has

Bigger Serson and newer 16MP
Bigger Buffer to support 10FPS
Fast burst mode 10FPS
Has build in GPS

I was in the same spot I was leaning towards A55 but bought A33 due to 270 difference when MS color quoted me.

To me if budget is not an issue and you'll need faster burst mode, GPS for photo geo tagging and slightly higher megapixel I would suggest go for A55 but A33 suites you then get it and buy a better lens, 250$$ maybe they could bundle a CZ 16-70? or 16-106 plus 30mm f1.8 plus a nice tripod :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Since u bought it. Dun look back. Just keep shooting and posting.. ;) I have no budget but still bought A55.. ;p

Last edited:
so in general A33 and a55 video performance will be the same? I see a a lot of video taken by these cams and quite impress with it. Can anyone try to shoot video using their a33?

TIA

so in general A33 and a55 video performance will be the same? I see a a lot of video taken by these cams and quite impress with it. Can anyone try to shoot video using their a33?

TIA

Video quality should be the same 1080p it should differ between Nex, a33/a55 video quality will slightly differ on the lens used like the photos will differ also with the lens used. So I would suggest instead of choosing what body to buy must decide 1st on what lens to pair with your Cam. A very good cam with a lousy lens will produce soso photos but have a decent entry level cam with a Sharp and fast lens will produce stunning photos. Ofcourse its also all about the photographer behind the cam.

I Suggest buy body onky and invest in a good lens :) both A33/55 are good cam feature rich cam .

Last edited:
250$$ maybe they could bundle a CZ 16-70? or 16-106 plus 30mm f1.8 plus a nice tripod :thumbsup:

$250 ? ...CZ 16-70 ? ...bro, can wait long, long ! ...even 2nd hand also have to wait long long ! :bsmilie:

$250 ? ...CZ 16-70 ? ...bro, can wait long, long ! ...even 2nd hand also have to wait long long ! :bsmilie:

I mean is rather than him getting A55 plus lens options e.g. like I did 18250 might aswell add the 250 and can get CZ16-70 rather than 18250... sorry if I was a bit not clear hehehe