A40 vs Oly C700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Just came back from Peninsular & Funan (CP & John 3:16 respectively) and honestly, i feel even more lost than ever.

Firstly i was told that the A40 has a high return or exchange rate and it isn't all that good. However, he failed to mention just exactly is the problem.... :(

Then i was told that the Oly C2040Z is not longer being sold at this 2 places. :(

In it's place, i was recommanded the Oly C-700.

The details are as follows (From John3:16):
[The ppl at Cathay seemed to busy to honestly care]

Canon A40 - SGD$550 (That is all)

Olympus C700 - SGD$880 (With "extras" 32Mb Smart Media Card, Batt & Charger[GP Powerbank] and lastly, Adobe Element)

What do you all think abt the Oly C700 bundle that is offered by John 3:16? Is it worth it?

Or is the A40 better? (And now that the Oly 2040 is out of the picture, literally and figuratively, there is no point talking abt it anymore....)

Kindly advise.

Thank you.

Actually, I think you will still be able to buy C2040 from Alan Photo.

The C700 is definitely a better camera. Hence the higher price. It was previously sold at above $900. Think the offer from John3:16 is not bad.

Get the C700 if you intend to explore photography seriously.

Get the A40 if you are not sure bu would like a camera that can give you a bit more mileage compared to the P&S DC. Its really a value for money camera.

I'm not too sure about C700's pic quality after having a test run with my friend's unit. It does have fantastic zoom, though.

;)

high return/exchange rate? I think either the salesman is just saying it without any ground to support his statment or all those who return/exchange are all not clubsnap/hardwarezone forum readers. I have not read about any return/exchange in both these forums.

anyway, the 700 is a better camera indeed.

Originally posted by copland
Actually, I think you will still be able to buy C2040 from Alan Photo.

The C700 is definitely a better camera. Hence the higher price. It was previously sold at above $900. Think the offer from John3:16 is not bad.

Get the C700 if you intend to explore photography seriously.

Get the A40 if you are not sure bu would like a camera that can give you a bit more mileage compared to the P&S DC. Its really a value for money camera.

I am serious abt it and would love to use to to take outdoor pictures, night shots and of nature and such but my main worry
is that i will not be able to take good pictures or i will not be able to use the camera's functions fully....

Originally posted by Wolfgang
I am serious abt it and would love to use to to take outdoor pictures, night shots and of nature and such but my main worry
is that i will not be able to take good pictures or i will not be able to use the camera's functions fully....

The C700UZ has more noise than other cameras, and it's especially bad for night shots. The main attractive feature is its 10x optical zoom.

Someone gave a comparison of the pictures at HWZ.

Originally posted by dbchoong
I'm not too sure about C700's pic quality after having a test run with my friend's unit. It does have fantastic zoom, though.

;)

Then go for the C-2100UZ lah...lesser noise (not that the C-700uz got a lot) and has image stabilization...costs abt $900+.

There's a guy in 'buy and sell' selling his C-2100uz package, maybe u would like to disicuss wif him???

See shot of the full moon in January 2002 using C-2100uz.

moon.jpg

S'pore cityscape....

cityscape.jpg

C2100uz is good. But got obvious distortion @ wide rather than C700uz

Originally posted by Jayan

Then go for the C-2100UZ lah...lesser noise (not that the C-700uz got a lot) and has image stabilization...costs abt $900+.

There's a guy in 'buy and sell' selling his C-2100uz package, maybe u would like to disicuss wif him???

See shot of the moon using C-2100uz.

My budget is at most 850, so i don't think it would be within my range.... :(

If u ask for just the basic package, not not the other accessories, maybe he'll consider @ ur price.

If your budget is S$850, then I think the C700 is not within your range too. 32MB SM card is not enough...and you better get another piece of 128MB card that cost S$95+-. GP PowerBankII charger is a nightmare...and you MUST get an intelligent/quick charger at S$40+-. Thus, the camera you are looking for should be at the price range of S$700+-.

The moon shot cannot be produced by the A40. Only 3x optical zoom. How I wish it could.... :p

That's the power of 10X !!

However, the S'pore cityscape shot can see a bit of noise.

Each camera has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

;)

Originally posted by Jayan

See shot of the full moon in January 2002 using C-2100uz.

moon.jpg

S'pore cityscape....

cityscape.jpg

Originally posted by Kho King

If your budget is S$850, then I think the C700 is not within your range too. 32MB SM card is not enough...and you better get another piece of 128MB card that cost S$95+-. GP PowerBankII charger is a nightmare...and you MUST get an intelligent/quick charger at S$40+-. Thus, the camera you are looking for should be at the price range of S$700+-.

You see, John 3:16 offered all these:

Olympus C700 + 32Mb + Batt (GP powerbank) & Charger + Adobe Element @ $880.00

Would that be reasonable?

The moon shot cannot be produced by the A40. Only 3x optical zoom. How I wish it could.... :p

;)

Hmm.. but the night shot looks quite good.... Is there a noise prob for the C700UZ?

It has noise reduction right? :(

;)

On why the day pix is grainy....becos the Sg cityscape pix has its brightness and contrast increased + a bit of color correction.....that day the sky quite hazy....original pix got a greyish-bluish tint. Paiseh....:D

Hmm.. but the night shot looks quite good.... Is there a noise prob for the C700UZ?

It has noise reduction right? :(

Noise reduction, nope for both C-2100uz and C-700uz. Gotta do that in post-processing.

The moon pix is taken at 1/800 sec, F4.5 aperture......noise is not an issue at that shutter speed.....

i will think the A40 win over C-700 now b'cos of the picture quality .. For me , picture quality is more important that the full manual control in C-700 ..

You see, John 3:16 offered all these:

Olympus C700 + 32Mb + Batt (GP powerbank) & Charger + Adobe Element @ $880.00

Would that be reasonable?

I knew, but the 32MB is not enough...and you can just take not more than 50 pics at high quality. GP batteries are ok, but the charger is too long to charge the battery, thus you need to get another quick charger. That's why you still need to take into consideration budget for extra SM card and charger, and maybe another set of 4 pieces of batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.