A40 Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Good Morning! :)

This is my very first post since i have migrated over from HWZ's Photography Forum.... :) I do hope that i'll get to learn from all the others which are more experienced here and if i do get long winded from posting some of my "basic" questions, i do hope it would not bother anyone. :D

Well, down to business i guess. I am about to embark upon buying a Digital Camera and being an amateur at that, so i decided that the A40 would be most suitable (although i am still trying to see if i the C2040 is better...)

My first question is one that i have asked in HWZ forum but i really needed to make sure.

Can the CF from my old Nomad MP3 player (Nomad 1) be used in a Canon A40 or a Oly C2040?

The CF i have in my Nomad is extremely thin (wafer like) while most Digital Camera's CFs are quite thick and have this metal case. Can it be used? Or is there even an adaptor to start with?

Another question that occured as an after thought;

Is the A40 good for taking shots of the night sky? (As in stars and such and knowing the local condition with all the light pollution)

Kindly advise. :)

Eh... There are only very few MP3 players on the market that uses CF. And AFAIK, those aren't available for sale in the Asean market at all.

Your Creative MP3 player uses SMARTMEDIA, and NOT Compact Flash.

If you wanna get a DC, get one that supports CF, and not SmartMedia, as CF offers more bang for the buck, and is widely used, AND is not limited to only 128MB :D There's 512MB CF available, if you dare to get it :D

Regards,
andre

Originally posted by andretan
Eh... There are only very few MP3 players on the market that uses CF. And AFAIK, those aren't available for sale in the Asean market at all.

Your Creative MP3 player uses SMARTMEDIA, and NOT Compact Flash.

If you wanna get a DC, get one that supports CF, and not SmartMedia, as CF offers more bang for the buck, and is widely used, AND is not limited to only 128MB :D There's 512MB CF available, if you dare to get it :D

Regards,
andre

Thank you for enlightening me. :)

A friend's mother bought a Oylmpus DC and he passed her his old Creative Nomad I Smart Media Card (Just to confirm: Small thin black piece with a gold area in the front) and she is able to use it.

Would anyone know which Olympus model that would be?

Kindly advise. :)

To answer your other questions... The A40 is a value for money camera for people wanting to trying dabbling into photography. It allows exposures of up to 15 secs. A40's edge over the C2040 is that is it less bulky, has built-in noise reduction, captures movie clips with audio.

The Oylmpus C2040 uses smartmedia card so the card you have for your nomad can be use on it. The C2040 provides more control over your settings plus it has shutter/aperture priority built in (do a search on the forum for more info).

To take pictures of the moon and some stars is no problem on both models. But if you are planning to take pictures like those you see in astronomy books, you will need a telescopic lens (not sure if there is one) plus you probably need exposures lasting from 15 minutes to maybe an hour. Of course both A40 and C2040 will be too entry level to do it.

My advise is that you go down to shops to take a look at both model and decide which one you like.

Hi Wolfgang, I'm also a newbie :D Welcome to ClubSnap! :p

Anyway, I agree with Copland... you ought to go down to the shops to give the cameras a try. You might* find something better :)

If the camera is a VERY recent model, try www.DPreview.com
They *might* have more info, else... try searching at google :D

I think Copland has posted your answers :)

Anyway, IMHO, the Canon would be a good choice. You won't need those video clip stuff if you are serious in photography. If you want those stuff, maybe you wanna consider a DV Camcorder :D

Regards,
andre

To answer your other questions... The A40 is a value for money camera for people wanting to trying dabbling into photography. It allows exposures of up to 15 secs. A40's edge over the C2040 is that is it less bulky, has built-in noise reduction, captures movie clips with audio.

This being my one main point of contention. Being abt to capture 30 mini movies with sound... :) OK, Thats one Issue down

C2040 0
A40 1

The Oylmpus C2040 uses smartmedia card so the card you have for your nomad can be use on it. The C2040 provides more control over your settings plus it has shutter/aperture priority built in (do a search on the forum for more info).

I've been reading around the forum and i noticed that it was mentioned that this camera is being phased out. Is that true?

If so, would C2040Z be a good choice for a nut like me who knowns only the bare basics (like point and shoot) and nothing else beyond that? (although reading through this forum has already broaden my knowledge base) :)

And alright, able to use my smart media card, so that's another issue which is settled.

C2040 1
A40 1

To take pictures of the moon and some stars is no problem on both models. But if you are planning to take pictures like those you see in astronomy books, you will need a telescopic lens (not sure if there is one) plus you probably need exposures lasting from 15 minutes to maybe an hour. Of course both A40 and C2040 will be too entry level to do it.

Well, this being a draw since both have the same "abilities" and "vunerabilities" when it comes to the night sky.

My advise is that you go down to shops to take a look at both model and decide which one you like.

Well, this is qhat i am going to do. Dropping by Penin & Funan for a look see look see. :)

Thank you for the advise. :)

Hi Wolfgang, I'm also a newbie Welcome to ClubSnap! :p

Thank you. :)

Anyway, IMHO, the Canon would be a good choice. You won't need those video clip stuff if you are serious in photography. If you want those stuff, maybe you wanna consider a DV Camcorder

A point very well made.. Maybe it's a frivolous extra... Now to re-think. :)

Now, i went to the website you mentioned and i did a side to side comparison. Now i feel even more lost. :(

The 2040Z seems to have alot more manual control (which i eventually want to learn how to use but there is no noise reduction) :confused:

Question. Can the C2040Z have filters and other lens added on like the A40?

Kindly advise.

Thank you.

Thanks Andre.

But it still does not answer the question if the C2040Z can be mounted with extra lenses/filters and such?

Kindly advise.

Another question (Never to cease, do i?) :)

Can either the C2040Z or the A40 take multiple pictures of something. Like, erm... not sure if there is a term for it.. strobing
is as close as i can come to describe it.

An example would be say and athelete running and your cam is mounted on a tripod and goes "click" pause (for a certain amount of time) and the "click" and then pause and then.. so on and so forth. I think you get what i mean. :)

Well, just like those photographers at a fashion shoot. By just depressing the shoot button a single time, the shutter opens and closes a few times to capture a few shots at a go....

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Thanks Andre.

But it still does not answer the question if the C2040Z can be mounted with extra lenses/filters and such?

Kindly advise.

Can either the C2040Z or the A40 take multiple pictures of something. Like, erm... not sure if there is a term for it.. strobing

An example would be say and athelete running and your cam is mounted on a tripod and goes "click" pause (for a certain amount of time) and the "click" and then pause and then.. so on and so forth. I think you get what i mean. :)

Well, just like those photographers at a fashion shoot. By just depressing the shoot button a single time, the shutter opens and closes a few times to capture a few shots at a go....

Well, I have no idea about that though. I'm using an Analog SLR, and I'm able to do that :p

Nevertheless, I think as long as the camera allows you to set shutter speed, that shouldn't be a problem :D

Where are the Canon and Olympus experts?! :p

I think that if you want to learn, the 2040 offer better functions for that. But for features, the A40 has a slight edge over the 2040.

Now, what most important is, which feel better in your hand.....

Come on down this Thur to SEED? talk to more of us and seek our opinions and such?

Originally posted by Bluestrike
I think that if you want to learn, the 2040 offer better functions for that. But for features, the A40 has a slight edge over the 2040.

Now, what most important is, which feel better in your hand.....

Come on down this Thur to SEED? talk to more of us and seek our opinions and such?

There is a SEED this Thursday? :) i just might. :)

I would know how it feels after today. Going out now to go see see look look and well, erm.. touch touch. :)

Date, Time and Place please? :)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Thanks Andre.

Hi,

The A40 can take continuous shots at approx. 2.5 pics per sec with LCD off in large/fine mode.

btw, I went down to AP yesterday and they ran out of A40 .. I didn't ask when is the next shipment but I guess it will take them few days to re-stock it ..

Originally posted by cwloo
btw, I went down to AP yesterday and they ran out of A40 .. I didn't ask when is the next shipment but I guess it will take them few days to re-stock it ..

You're upgrading from A20 to A40 huh? :D

Originally posted by revenant

You're upgrading from A20 to A40 huh? :D

think so ... actually want to "see see" together with ixus 330 to decide which to buy ... but too bad they ran out of stock. In the top decision table is A40 currently... but might purchase it when the lens adaptor arrive in singapore.

Another advise, dont' bring gf together , they will definally choose Ixus 330 .. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by cwloo

think so ... actually want to "see see" together with ixus 330 to decide which to buy ...

Hi, I saw both A40 and 330 at Funan Canon Show Room today...

Originally posted by Prime

Hi, I saw both A40 and 330 at Funan Canon Show Room today...
oh really ? when it end ? might drop by and visit them this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.