A4 Size print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willz

Feb 13, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, just wondering how much megapixel i should set if I wanna do a A4 size printout, with a decent quality on the photo? My digicam is only capable of up to 3.3mp only, is this enough? :dunno:

Willz said:
Hi guys, just wondering how much megapixel i should set if I wanna do a A4 size printout, with a decent quality on the photo? My digicam is only capable of up to 3.3mp only, is this enough? :dunno:

Not quite enuf...You can still see the pixelation on the printout.
It looks okay from far.... I mean when hold abt 1m away..

I do A4 printout quite frequently, and using Glossy photo paper too.
I'm using HP deskject 930c (old printer), that can print at 2400x1200dpi.
The picture were printed using ACDsee 6.0 software, and were enlarge using B-spline filter...

I dun think pixelation is bcos of my printer, bcos I have printed pictures taken by 6MP cam.. and the printout is excellent....

Oh.. and if the picture taken by your camera has a lot of noise.... dun be surprised to see lots of reds and blue dots in the picture....

I've printed A4 with 2MP before. Pixelation is definitely visible. A5 is about as high as 2MP can decently go.

I think the size recommended (from photo studios) for S8R (approx A4) is 3600x2400 - that's 8MP. But then the recommended size for S5R (approx A5) is 2250x1500 = 3+ MP. So you can print the next size beyond the normal recommendations? (2MP 1600x1200 comes as a 4R recommendation but looks Ok at 5R).

Print as far as you can without obvious pixellation :)
Agree with ken111111 - 3MP seems not quite enough, but maybe acceptable. Try it out and see for yourself :) (don't let our opinions affect yours ;) )... in fact, it would be interesting if you could post what you think after you've tried it :D

Cheers

2MP is not enough... boy, I'm learning new things everyday :)

Back to basics... back to basics...

2MP is not really good enough for A4 size prints if there're a lot of fine details, e.g. landscape shots. For portraits, it should be ok. Of course this is subjective and depends on the viewer's level of acceptability.

3MP would get you decent A4 size prints. You could still get more details with a higher MP camera, or a camera with larger sensor (e.g. DSLRs).

Thanks for the recommandations guys, currently my image file is 2048 x 1536 , taken at 3mp. not very confident that the printout will be of very good quality, but hoping for decent quality is enough for me :embrass:

I will be bring my file to my company to print on the fuji xerox printer, and i will be using my photo glossy paper. Will try it out and let u guys know the result after I have it printed. Thanks for all the comments :cool:

ken111111 said:
I do A4 printout quite frequently, and using Glossy photo paper too.
I'm using HP deskject 930c (old printer), that can print at 2400x1200dpi.
The picture were printed using ACDsee 6.0 software, and were enlarge using B-spline filter...

I dun think pixelation is bcos of my printer, bcos I have printed pictures taken by 6MP cam.. and the printout is excellent....

Oh.. and if the picture taken by your camera has a lot of noise.... dun be surprised to see lots of reds and blue dots in the picture....
I actually matters what printer that you use to print. The newer higher resolution printer using a better stochastic dithering algorithm would allow the dots to look less obvious as well as distribute out the noise.

3.3mp should be enough.

Willz said:

I used a Canon G2 (4m) and produce A1 poster,
for decent quality print your 3.3m should not be a problem but actually alot of factors to consider.

Allow me to confuse you about digital image workflow to get good print:
the quality of the camera esp the ccd
the quality of the image capture (this depend on the guy who hold the camera)
the right process during post-processing (what you do to the image with software like PS)
the know how about colour management
the quality of the printer
the media choosen for the print
and the person who eventually receive the print.

Fully agree with comments that the quality of printer makes a difference (and this doesn't just mean the resolution). A few years back when colour inkjets were hitting 600dpi, it was just amazing to see how much better a 300dpi Tektronix dye-sub printer was than the inkjets.

Hey, in fact, if I remember right, it goes something like: newsprint is 150dpi, and magazines (and their covers?) are printed at 300dpi. Anyone know the actual resolution and processes that make magazine covers look so good? (apart from the fact that they're professional photographers ;p )

Don't know what model your Fuji Xerox printer is Willz, but if it's an office printer it may be built for speed and powerpoint graphics, and photos may not turn out well. You may also want to compare that output with one from a photo lab ;)

if i am not wrong, magazine prints from 130 to 150 dpi typically with exceptions of glossy covers. but then again a 300dpi image is normally used to print out the file becos of the colours, something like that.

i tried printing a 3 megapixel file to A3 size and i noe of pple who have printed 1 megapixel images on A3 and they dont look bad at all.

depends on what printer and paper you use. and the post processing is important. how u process ur 3.3 megapixel image (with reference to thread starter's camera), upsizing the image.

hope it helps.

a few links here to suggest.
just my 2 cents worth. hope u can print better :)

http://www.mydesignprimer.com/graphics/30024.html
My Design Primer | Graphics | Printing Resolution

http://www.scantips.com/basics03.html
B&W Printer Resolution

http://www.pcphotomag.com/content/pastissues/2001/oct/resolving.html
PCPhoto Magazine | Resolving Resolution | October 2001
!!!( The section on printers and DPI)

can try go and borrow this book called Digital Pre Press Complete i think. quite useful, forgot if it talks abt this issue on resolution but sure helps in making all prints including photos turn out as what you want.

a good book to learn how to print big poster size prints will be Photoshop for the Digital Photographer, i borrowed from National library once. very good workflow and works.

Status
Not open for further replies.