a worthy news about table tennis captain Li Jia Wei

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempdan

Jun 22, 2008
see LI Jia Wei interview with CCTV http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=426895254
she made a statement about her hope for olympic. (at 26:31s)
The actual statment that she made is " 自己是个北京人, 又是中国人。 我希望能在自己的本土, 自己的地盘上, 能够取得一枚奖牌"

Translated from tempdan's post: "I'm from Beijing, and from China. I hope to get a medal on my home country and home ground".

not surprise if she had that thought anyway. only surprise when she blurted it out.

Translated from tempdan's post: "I'm from Beijing, and from China. I hope to get a medal on my home country and home ground".
I would interpreted as:
自己是个北京人 - this indicates that she was born in Beijing.
是中国人 - a lot of time, the word Chinese is referred to in terms of race, NOT citizen
本土, 地盘 - home turf, since she was born in Beijing and grew up there, nothing wrong with this statement. Home turf is most likely being used as a comparison to the Olympics being held elsewhere other than Beijing.

People needs to understand that she is the first generation Singapore immigrant and because of her special sporting status/situation, people automatically think that she comes to Singapore for money and still consider herself as a Chinese citizen.

Let's not come to this conclusion too quickly...

Last edited:
I would interpreted as:
自己是个北京人 - this indicates that she was born in Beijing.
是中国人 - a lot of time, the word Chinese is referred to in terms of race, NOT citizen
本土, 地盘 - home turf, since she was born in Beijing and grew up there, nothing wrong with this statement. Home turf is most likely being used as a comparison to the Olympics being held elsewhere other than Beijing.

People needs to understand that she is the first generation Singapore immigrant and because of her special sporting status/situation, people automatically think that she comes to Singapore for money and still consider herself as a Chinese citizen.

Let's not come to this conclusion too quickly...
i would agree with the interpretation. What she said are totally factual and nothing can change that. In the Chinese language, those words don't mean she is a "traitor" as the TS might want us "to think about" ... :think:

I am surprised that in this modern time, there are still narrow minded people who still cant accept such reality in life. Whatever she said and feel is not important now ... she is now a Singaporean (holding a Singapore citizenship). Give her a break, brothers!

it is very difficult to interpret the real meaning.

i would agree with the interpretation. What she said are totally factual and nothing can change that. In the Chinese language, those words don't mean she is a "traitor" as the TS might want us "to think about" ... :think:

I am surprised that in this modern time, there are still narrow minded people who still cant accept such reality in life. Whatever she said and feel is not important now ... she is now a Singaporean (holding a Singapore citizenship). Give her a break, brothers!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Did anyone even see the players from the netherlands and croatia? All from mainland china. So get over it, people. :)

I would translate that into: "I am born in Beijing, and I am a Chinese, so I wish I can win a medal from my birth place."

Yes, since we are not Li Jia Wei, we will never know what she is thinking of when she gave that interview.

However, there is also no denying that you definitely have a negative feeling about the interview at the time you started this thread.

Well said and that should be the heart of the matter.

Does it truly matter? Has she sold out her new home and jeopardized our security? What's with all the hate? what did she do to you?

Translate in English please.

Thanks!

Babelfish translates "自己是个北京人, 又是中国人。 我希望能在自己的本土, 自己的地盘上, 能够取得一枚奖牌" as "One are a person from Beijing, is also the Chinese. I hoped that can in own native place, in own domain, be able to win a medal"

u can change your uniform, u can change your IC, u can relocate, u can speak/write different languages, u can eat different food.. etc

but one thing u cannot change > your place of birth

Last edited:
This is how I read it.

She said she wanted to win.
It's more meaningful and significant that she wins at the Beijing Olympics.
Beijing being her birthplace and that she's a Chinese.

The bugbear being - She is representing Singapore, not China. :)

Think they should change Team Singapore to Club Singapore.

There is nothing wrong to have strong ties and fond feeling for your country of birth, especially if you have lived there, and your family and friends are still there.

As far as sport is concerned, JiaWei had put up a good performance in the SF and we ought to be proud of her. Hope that she can enjoy herself in the bronze play-off. Win or lose, we will support her.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong to have strong ties and fond feeling for your country of birth, especially if you have lived there, and your family and friends are still there.

As far as sport is concerned, JiaWei had put up a good performance in the SF and we ought to be proud of her. Hope that she can enjoy herself in the bronze play-off. Win or lose, we will support her.

Yeah, but I doubt she has a chance to play in the Olympics if she wana represent China.

I do feel it's kinda sensitive :nono: to say such stuff, as it may be subject to misinterpretation.

Btw, what's the deal with the absence of coash at the men's match yesterday? Kinda pissed to hear that we sent 5 coaches ;( there, none went to support the player during his match.

Lucky there's no Internet in the 1960s. I can't imagine the flak that our great, great grandfathers/grandmothers will get when they go... "sighhh... really miss my home town in china/india/xxx"...

People don't have a choice as to what nationality they're born into. But they do have a choice on which country they want to live the rest of their life for.

As far as I'm concerned, Li Jiawei, and the rest of our sports squad are Singaporean, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.