a try on still life: a fork..

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all..

having been "riding" on this forum.. decided to post some pictures of a little photoshoot at home a few nights back..

was thinking through some aspects of photography and how i've been so concerned so much about camera equipment (or the lack of it) that i lost sight of the fact that photography is about looking at things differently and creatively.. through the viewfinder.. and not JUST about having different "effects" with different lenses or hardware.. or digital manipulation..

critique sought:

what do you think of the angles and the lighting (pictures shot with a tungsten table lamp kinda light).. how to better the lighting?..

and also.. i shot with autofocus in low light.. and the pics didn't turn out to be sharp enough.. i'm guessing coz i shot with the largest aperture (initially thought i shot closer than the minimum focusing range but later discarded that thought coz the shutter wouldn't have fired off if i was on autofocus rite?)..

DSC_9303.JPG

approaching the source

DSC_9307.JPG

garden rake

DSC_9308.JPG

twisty

DSC_9318.JPG

alter ego

DSC_9322.JPG

@ 45 degrees​

Last edited:
very clever light play. i like alter ego too. :)

nice series.. very creative.
my mom got the same spoon and to me it will just be a spoon till i see yr pics here!
hehe!

cheers!

"photography is about looking at things differently and creatively.. through the viewfinder.. and not JUST about having different "effects" with different lenses or hardware.. or digital manipulation.. "

Your work above explained it well. Simple yet nice! :thumbsup:

Yo ssping! Great that you've sort of re-discovered photography in a purer form again.

"Alter ego" and "alien head" rate high in interestingness for having the best play with shadows and challenging the normal perspective of a fork.

WB could have been fixed (i liked the reddish brown cast on "alien head"). Personally i'd prefer stronger shadows & higher contrast between object and shadow but that's just me!

Overall a good photoshoot at home :)

hey a really nice fork series here! Very creative use of light and shawdows! could have done with a bit of shadow recovery in some of the pics. lost abit of detail in the shawdows.

hey a really nice fork series here! Very creative use of light and shawdows! could have done with a bit of shadow recovery in some of the pics. lost abit of detail in the shawdows.

hi joshua.. noted on the shadows.. dun think i can "recover" details though coz there aren't any details in the first place.. shot in a dark room with one (or two) small spotlamps..

will take note of these areas when i attempt such a series again.. thanks for the feedback!

Yo ssping! Great that you've sort of re-discovered photography in a purer form again.

"Alter ego" and "alien head" rate high in interestingness for having the best play with shadows and challenging the normal perspective of a fork.

WB could have been fixed (i liked the reddish brown cast on "alien head"). Personally i'd prefer stronger shadows & higher contrast between object and shadow but that's just me!

Overall a good photoshoot at home :)

hi redtealongan.. did you mean fixing the overtly orangey-ness from the tungsten lamps?

"photography is about looking at things differently and creatively.. through the viewfinder.. and not JUST about having different "effects" with different lenses or hardware.. or digital manipulation.. "

Your work above explained it well. Simple yet nice! :thumbsup:

nice series.. very creative.
my mom got the same spoon and to me it will just be a spoon till i see yr pics here!
hehe!

cheers!

alter ego really cool.:thumbsup:

thanks people~

xintothezonex.. go grab a utensil (any!) and experiment~! =D

As in fix the wb to one value because i did notice the different "orangeness" of the photos... :D

thanks TS for this one.

makes me think about the philosophy i started out in the first place.

Good work bro.

Creative and clever shadow play here. For me, "Alien Head" and "Right Turn" with the deliberate out-of-focus makes the photos so totally out of this world. Fantastic.

Well done.

As in fix the wb to one value because i did notice the different "orangeness" of the photos... :D

ah.. i see.. noted noted..~

thanks TS for this one.

makes me think about the philosophy i started out in the first place.

Good work bro.

Creative and clever shadow play here. For me, "Alien Head" and "Right Turn" with the deliberate out-of-focus makes the photos so totally out of this world. Fantastic.

Well done.

thanks~ =)

Status
Not open for further replies.