....a trick to catch natural after pose candids...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
hiee...

Here is a good trick to fool people who may want you to just take their photos fo fun (wheren you know is not that worth wasting the shot) or even take shots of people in candid....after they pose....which may sometimes have good expressions....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f100DOF.htm

(fyi...Ken Rockwell is on of the key members of the Sierra Photography Club - San Diego Chapter)

Regards,
me

Unfortunately, it only works for the F100.. the F5 and F80 have different sounds for the DOF preview, and the Canon cameras are near silent. Perhaps you'd like to read that bit more carefully again? Or was that a subtle attempt at name dropping?

Hi

i have never in my life heard a sound from pressing the DOF preview. i must be using the wrong camera ;p

wait my most used camera doesn't have a DOF preview function.........

a better trick with Canon systems is pressing the preflash button on the EX flashes. Press it twice, and most pple would think the shot is taken.

I've never heard of ken rockwell, BUT i consider wat he suggested a cheap and rude trick. You either take the picture sportingly, or politely decline.

on the slightly off topic note, i ALWAYS take a picture of whoever wants to pose for me voluntarily. Not doing so, or worse, PRETENDING to do so is very rude, IMHO. It shows a lack of respect.

it's hard enough to try to capture pple in various states of unawareness that it's refreshing, for a change, to actually take a photo of a willing victim, er i mean volunteer........

as usual YMMV.....................

Actually, I hate the DOF sound on the F100. Every now and then, I still get the occasional shock of thinking the shutter went off when I press(intentionally or unintentionally) the button. Haven't heard the F5 before. With the EOS 3, all you get is a nice soft click.

Hi YSlee....

Just for your info, i am not trying to say or compare nay brand etc. Its plain tips and user personal tricks that i am trying to pot across....if who ever thinks this is a feature available - be it good or bad in the minds of others....if it serves your needs - in this case to save film....who cares.

Its very common to have people bugging us to take photos of them in weddings etc...and they don't even ask how it turn out later.....

So this tip is plainly a tip and not like what you think.......(wild imaginations i guess)

In some cases, photographers also do "test" flash to simulate a shot taken......

regards,
me

Originally posted by YSLee
Or was that a subtle attempt at name dropping?
no lah i don't think so... sulhan's a minolta man... ;)

Originally posted by Kit
Actually, I hate the DOF sound on the F100. Every now and then, I still get the occasional shock of thinking the shutter went off when I press(intentionally or unintentionally) the button.
hahahah i know what you mean... i get that quite frequently. must stop and check my exposure counter to make sure nothing got fired off. :D

Larry: Name dropping doesn't have to be done with people using the same equipment as you.

Kit: Need to get more used to the F100. :p

sulhan: Your post can be construed, indeed, it appears to be written, such that, the above tip applies to all users of 35mm SLRs. However as the other posters and I have said, it doesn't really work for everyone, in fact only for a very small subset of 35mm SLR users out there. As such I feel your post is quite misleading, certainly having less informative value then it appears to be.

Originally posted by Larry
no lah i don't think so... sulhan's a minolta man... ;)

hahahah i know what you mean... i get that quite frequently. must stop and check my exposure counter to make sure nothing got fired off. :D

I'm not alone:eek:

Originally posted by YSLee
sulhan: Your post can be construed, indeed, it appears to be written, such that, the above tip applies to all users of 35mm SLRs. However as the other posters and I have said, it doesn't really work for everyone, in fact only for a very small subset of 35mm SLR users out there. As such I feel your post is quite misleading, certainly having less informative value then it appears to be.

agreed. it only works for the F100 (i must ask Ckiang to show me the DOF preview of the F100 some time - i'm quite fascinated with DOF preview buttons making noises now ;)) but the way the subject title and the message is written, it truly appears as if the trick is applicable to ALL cameras.

ok let's leave it as that and move on.....

just out of curiousity, does a Minolta SLR (say the Dynax 7 or Dynax 9) make an audible shutter release like noise when the DOF button is pressed?

Originally posted by Kit

Ya man:D ......... wait .......... after more then 70 rolls, I still get the shock. Guess must develop a better relationship with the camera:D :D

i think maybe a switch in relationship is in order? :devil:

Hie...

FYI....the DOF review button in the Dynax 7 does gives an audible sound kinda similar to a click of the shutter. Well.....its one of the mechanism working in any shutter release.....aperture stopped + reflex miror up+ shutter open.....

I used the method mentioned above myself for to do trick shots and i don't see anything wrong for me to use the website by Ken rockwell as example......

Wel..in the case for Dynax 7 you have to press the teenie winky button with your teenie wieenie ....you wil hear the "chik chak" sound.....Come along to this Sundays outing to Dragon Kilin....i will let you hear it.....

Have agreat weekend....and have agreat day....

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by sulhan
Hie...

FYI....the DOF review button in the Dynax 7 does gives an audible sound kinda similar to a click of the shutter. Well.....its one of the mechanism working in any shutter release.....aperture stopped + reflex miror up+ shutter open.....

I used the method mentioned above myself for to do trick shots and i don't see anything wrong for me to use the website by Ken rockwell as example......

Wel..in the case for Dynax 7 you have to press the teenie winky button with your teenie wieenie ....you wil hear the "chik chak" sound.....Come along to this Sundays outing to Dragon Kilin....i will let you hear it.....

Have agreat weekend....and have agreat day....

regards,
Sulhan

Huh? Mirror does NOT go up when you do a DoF preview, otherwise, how do you see the image? :)

Regards
CK

Hi Ckiang.....

I said it sound like when you press the shutter!!!!!......"its one of the mechanism in shutter release..".....

?????

reards,
sulhan

Originally posted by sulhan
Hi Ckiang.....

I said it sound like when you press the shutter!!!!!......"its one of the mechanism in shutter release..".....

?????

reards,
sulhan

Sure sounded like it, but mirror did not go UP, (at least not on my F100 :D )

Regards
CK

Preview only close down the aperture to whatever value you've set for. The mirror will not go up because the SLR needs it to be in "down" position to tell you the metering during preview. The sound you've heard probably came from the aperture mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.