A tokina 80-200 f/2.8 vs sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Tokina vs. sigma

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my 2 cents.

This type of poll, better to see who chooses what? I mean if alot of people can say this over that, but if we see who chosse what, that would give a better gauge on what the seasoned guys selected.

I would go with the ones chosen by the serious photographer although the poll number is smaller.

I once queued for breakfast at a foodstall in Eunos, I saw a long queue thinking that wow, must be good one lah, never mind queue also.

Later I found out that it is because the food is cheap, that is why the long queue. So in order to get to the right deduction... poll result must be something meaningful.

../azul123

tokina the best.

ninelives agree with u.

:D

Anybody got any idea why the Tokina 80-200mm is no longer in production? This lens is no longer on the Tokina website, and shopkeepers say it's not coming in anymore :dunno:

Personally I feel, if you are throwing the OEM lenses out of contention (Nikon (VR)/Canon (L) or whatever), I find that there is not much comparision is needed for Sigma, Tokina or Tamron. If you cannot get OEM lenses dues to prices, then you might need to take a discount on the performance the third party. Most of the time, its all about preference rather than which on is good or bad, sometimes reviews from professionals can be not accurate, the measurements taken where mostly not needed by us in most aspect.

If third party lenses are taken into consideration, it's better for you to go and test the product and see which one comforts you the most to make you open up your wallet.

There was once my friend bought his 70-200 f2.8 HSM, he wanted Tokina in the first place but end up with Sigma despite the fact the information he gather was that Tokina was a better choice. Coz he just didn't like the handling of Tokina which I think its fine by me. End of the day, maybe after you get the info you need, you might end up scrapping the idea of third party and head for OEM instead.

If got enought budget, no comparison, straight away get the Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM.

However, as a beginner with a tight budget, I would rather spent $500 for a second hand Tokina 80-200 to play with first. If sigma HSM version can offer me a $500-$600 range, I will prefer its faster focusing, however, it may not be the case. So I got a tokina instead, and it's serving me just well! :)

Am using the latest model of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and yes, the autofocusing is fast.

Am using the latest model of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and yes, the autofocusing is fast.

Hi BlueBull

Could you give us a mini review or post some photos with your new toy :)

Thanks!

Hi, I recently purchased a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM II. Its bought in HK so the price is pretty low. First look, it seems large. Bigger than Canon F4 IS. Heavy too at 1.3 kg due to its soilid construction. HSM works very well, very fast and silent. Pictures are sharp but not so at 2.8. You need a lot of strength to handle this lens though. Here are some pics as requested.

#1- Taken indoor at Disneyland.
1406080300.jpg

#2- Parade at Disneyland
1406080829.jpg

#3- Taken at Little India
IMG_54872.jpg

Hi, I recently purchased a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO HSM II. Its bought in HK so the price is pretty low. First look, it seems large. Bigger than Canon F4 IS. Heavy too at 1.3 kg due to its soilid construction. HSM works very well, very fast and silent. Pictures are sharp but not so at 2.8. You need a lot of strength to handle this lens though. Here are some pics as requested.

Agreed. Using one myself also bought in Hong Kong. Picture quality is smooth.....

may i know the pricing for it? planning to get one before my year end holiday~

In Singapore, it cost about $1550. You can get one from OP for $1400 grey set.

Beside the coat peeling problem with Sigma. It is one of my all time favourite lens for sports. For those with a budget this is definitely the lens to go for.;)

Beside the coat peeling problem with Sigma. It is one of my all time favourite lens for sports. For those with a budget this is definitely the lens to go for.;)

Yeah... I have to agree that the coating peels on the Sigma lens,. My 70-200 2.8 coating has started to peel already. But that aside... it does give really sharp photos... I've taken lots of events with that lens and it's great!

#1- Taken indoor at Disneyland.
1406080300.jpg

#2- Parade at Disneyland
1406080829.jpg

#3- Taken at Little India
IMG_54872.jpg

I like the #2 pictures nice nice!!

Dump the Tokina or Sigma... go for the Nikkor AF 80~200mm f/2.8. 3 ED glass built inside, Full metal body, 9 blade diaphraphm, no fight. Tried the Tokina... Noisy and spoils the overall ecstatic of the camera. Sigma is Good, If you must have the extra 10mm, (70~200mm) go for the the HSM, MACRO II version. It has 3 ELD glass inside.

Tried all. 3 Nikkor ED glass still win 2 Sigma ELD glass.

Oh... and HSM... Sigma HSM is only about 85% as fast as a Nikkor AF-S. So not as fast either....

Last edited:
Dump the Tokina or Sigma... go for the Nikkor AF 80~200mm f/2.8. 3 ED glass built inside, Full metal body, 9 blade diaphraphm, no fight. Tried the Tokina... Noisy and spoils the overall ecstatic of the camera. Sigma is Good, If you must have the extra 10mm, (70~200mm) go for the the HSM, MACRO II version. It has 3 ELD glass inside.

Tried all. 3 Nikkor ED glass still win 2 Sigma ELD glass.

Oh... and HSM... Sigma HSM is only about 85% as fast as a Nikkor AF-S. So not as fast either....

so the AF-D 80-200 focusing speed is more or less same as HSM?

do remember the price difference between the nikon and the sigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.