Not open for further replies.

armadillo

Jan 30, 2006
Pinnacle@Duxton
We should change this custom :dunno:

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091008-0000054/A-tissue-packet-too-far

Letter from Mary Tan
05:55 AM Oct 08, 2009
I WAS at the food court in Raffles City Shopping Centre when I saw four well-dressed women casually tossing packets of tissue paper onto a table before heading off to get their lunch.

Soon, two European tourists who had already bought their food came by and sat at that table, moving the packets of tissues aside, I believe in all innocence.

When the four women came back with their food, they pointed out to the tourists that they had reserved the table, stating that it is a Singaporean custom to use packets of tissue paper to reserve seats.

The tourists had already started to eat their lunch, but these women sent the two tourists packing. They had to get their food back on the trays and look for another table.

It was such an ungracious, thoughtless, discourteous act. We shouldn't behave like that, whether it's to a tourist or otherwise.

Come on, fellow Singaporeans, please stop this silly behaviour. If you need to reserve a table, perhaps leave one member of your party seated while the rest take turns to get your food.

We must learn to be more gracious. Kopitiams, food courts and hawker centres are designed for public use, so some civic graciousness is in order.

agreed. i hate those who just dump their tissue packets like that. at least have one person sitting down at the table! :angry:

yeap,,,,in cbd area wkdays, dis tissue things musn't happen , other places not as much as cbd area, i tot many people say cbd area people is educated and 'white collar' ,

cheers

Welcome to Singapore!!!!!!! LOL

STB should print out this custom as travel advise to all tourists. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

NOt again on this topic. Hai, 我们有教义,没教养. English translation: we got high level of education but we dont have any social grace.

Especially to a tourists, at least they should just leave and give the table to them and find other table.

isn't this custom only in the CBD area during weekdays?

it's already reached epidemic level .... :dunno:
some factory canteens are already seeing these ....:sweat::sweat::sweat:

we are a hawker centre society
we need other ppl to shame them for them to change

in japan if you don't clear away your tray someone will blow a whistle and point at you, then ask you politely to clear your tray
same in korea as well

Ah great, Raffles City; near my workplace. I'll go sweep free tissue papers later :)

although i have never done it, but i understand why people working in that area does it. we have 1 hr for lunch and most often than not, it coincides with everyone else's eating time. given the limited number of seats and long queues for food, it is more efficient to buy and not have to look for seats later on. leaving someone to wait for u may not be a good idea because queueing can take up to 20 mins and by the time, u come back with the food, the other person has less than 30 mins to buy and eat his food. if u reach the food court or hawker centre late, u can take up to 15 mins easily to get a place to sit as well.

people who don't have to eat in that area wouldn't understand. i certainly didn't. i actually threw away tissue packets when i dine with my wife at shenton last time. i thought it was someone's litter. then when the ladies came back, they stared at me. and i didnt know why at all until she told me. and i still think it is pretty silly to put tissue.

Upgrade lah, dont use tissue, do a self made paper board and lable it as "REserve". Anyone see it will know the meaning. lolx

Status
Not open for further replies.