A thought on watermarks for photo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi all,

A thought bought on by a sleepless night.

As all cameras have a unique serial number.

If the camera was able to (if selected in menu) insert the serial number into each frame taken.

This number ( only a few pixels high ) would say decrease the output of those pixels by say 5%

The resulting photo’s taken would not show the serial number to the naked eye, but it would be there.

I then thought, “if they all did that, then a leecher would know where to look for and adjust it”.

So I then thought, “ make it so the owner can position the number anywhere in the frame by use of buttons and showing the position on their LCD”.

Ok, well that might work.

Then thought. What if you could scan your signature (or logo) to a jpg file and upload it to your camera.

The camera would then imbed the signature into the photo’s taken at a brightness not visabel to the naked eye, but can be proven to be there ???

Any thoughts on this being a worthy idea or simply just another cause of not getting to sleep.

Hope it makes some sense to you.

Cheers :)

A digital signature or ID like what a pdf can contained?

Thought of this sometime back. Not entirely foolproof, but kinda fun to play with.

Image of Potty1, which is distributed.
Potty1.jpg

Image of Potty2, which is kept by the photographer.
Potty2.jpg

If you download both images and open in ps, then cut and paste Potty2 as a layer on top of Potty1, then change blending mode of Potty2 to difference, you can see your hidden message.

I tried it but nothing lei....
Potty 2 dragged into the opened file potty 1.
Potty 2 layer is on top and blending changed to difference.
Only got a black image and no message.
is that supposed to be the result?

The message in the potty is very faint. Add a levels layer and slide the gray indicator almost all the way to the left.

Was the images post-processed with a script or did you wrote the algorithm for encoding and modifying the binaries data into the images personally? :think:

Last edited:
the best way to prevent leeching is to just post small images, from which limited revenue can be made.

i mean, that's all you can do, right?

Was the images post-processed with a script or did you wrote the algorithm for encoding and modifying the binaries data into the images personally? :think:

:bsmilie::bsmilie: Don't think so complicated. Everything was done in image processing software. But if it pleases you, it is also easy to write a matlab script to generate such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.