A test on Sandisk and Transcend class 10 SDHC

ahsamhui

Apr 12, 2006
Hi,

recently bought 2 SDHC class 10 card. Did a write speed test on D7000. Just to share my finding.

1. Sandisk Extreme 16gb class 10 (claims 30mb/s)
2. Transcend Ultimate 16gb class 10 (only claim 133x)

Shooting in RAW, CH mode (6fps). Manual mode, speed and apeture consistant.

After 10 frame, results as follow

1. Sandisk: Camera slows to 1 fps. AFter abt 3 sec, 2 fps
2. Transcend: AFter 10 frames, camera stops taking photo. AFter abt 5 sec, starts to take again

I know the buffer of D7000 is the bottle neck but as far as card is concern, Sandisk is faster. However no real benefits (as least to me)

Just sharing my finding.

1. Sandisk Extreme 16gb $70 at TK Photo @ Funan (June 24 2011)
2. Transcend Ultimate 16gb $38 at Bizgram @ Sim Lim Sq (July 6 2011)

cheers,
Ahsamhui

i have really bad experience with Transcend card. i'm using its SDXC class 10 32gb card on my D7000. not only it's slower than my scandisk Extreme 16gb class 4 SDHC card. it gives me unreadable card error after just 200-300 shots several times. personally i'll avoid trancend at all cost.

There is a reason why Transcend is only half the cost of a Sandisk card.

I decided to give Transcend a go coz last mth shot a wedding using Sandisk Ultra 8Gb card (30mb/s). Though reviewing the images on my 5d2 (view as I shoot) no problem but when I plug it in to card reader, com show corrupted card. reinserted to cam and show "this card cannot be used". Trided 2 other card reader and on other 2 laptop, win7 64,win 7 32,win xp, still the same. Tried more than 20 recovery software but no luck.

I think if you use a brand long enough you'll very likely experience some sort of "malfunction". Same for every other brand. Now that I've got D7000, I am putting 2 cards and run as back up. But then again it things want to go wrong, will go wrong. Haiz..I am offering the couple a $2k discount for lost of 60 or so photos.( feel bad abt the lost of photos)

I decided to give Transcend a go coz last mth shot a wedding using Sandisk Ultra 8Gb card (30mb/s). Though reviewing the images on my 5d2 (view as I shoot) no problem but when I plug it in to card reader, com show corrupted card. reinserted to cam and show "this card cannot be used". Trided 2 other card reader and on other 2 laptop, win7 64,win 7 32,win xp, still the same. Tried more than 20 recovery software but no luck.

I think if you use a brand long enough you'll very likely experience some sort of "malfunction". Same for every other brand. Now that I've got D7000, I am putting 2 cards and run as back up. But then again it things want to go wrong, will go wrong. Haiz..I am offering the couple a $2k discount for lost of 60 or so photos.( feel bad abt the lost of photos)

felt sorry for ur loss. it must be a nightmare.

for my transcend SDXC card, it failed me 2 weeks after purchase so i'm quite furious about it. sent in my camera together with the transcend card to nikon, they changed the camera (the read/write) hardware. but after this, problem still comes back. then i bought 2 sandisk extreme class 10 sdhc , and so far so good.

Bro, i would suggest you to try PhotoRec software. Comes as part of Testdisk package. It's free and it has done the deed when many paid options have failed. Good luck.

You can also go to some shops in simlim/funan where they can do a hardware recovery. it ll cost about 300+ but then it should work.

i tried transcends' 400X CF card, but think they (purposely) misquoted it as 400X when write speed was less than 200X, only read speed was 400X and even then the sandisk 30mb/s was still faster. sold it off and got the sandisk 60mb/s one. i ll stay away from them for now. if you dun like sandisk, lexar is a good brand too. kingston i found, also misquotes the read write speeds =\

I too have both cards and i also did a similar test. I loaded both cards into 2 different 60D cameras. I did burst mode on BOTH at the same time for 10 shots and the Sandisk finish writing to the card about 20% faster than the transcend card.
I got my Sandisk at the IT show which was only $50+
Bottomline, Transcend isn't bad…it's still faster than a class 6. So the transcend is my secondary card as a backup while the Sandisk is the main card….this arrangement works well for me..

I have bad experience with Transcend card too, best to avoid it.

oh my.. very sorry for what had happened.. just a suggestion, did u use the camera usb cable to try and transfer the photos at that time? :(