A study of LINES

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhang3feng

Dec 27, 2005
SG
www.zhang3feng.com
It has been a long time since i did study of lines, so i think once in awhile it's kinda fun to do some simple & basic theme which we tends to miss out after going after what we so called "beauty"

2006others065.jpg

2006others066.jpg

2006others067.jpg

2006others068.jpg

2006others069.jpg

#7 & #11 work well for me. Love the texture on the wall and how it adds a depth to the picture as opposed to just lines. Gunno if #11 looks a tad though. #10 is interesting idea but the angle/perspective is slightly off 'coz the bottom of the picture is slanted.

eel said:
#7 & #11 work well for me. Love the texture on the wall and how it adds a depth to the picture as opposed to just lines. Gunno if #11 looks a tad though. #10 is interesting idea but the angle/perspective is slightly off 'coz the bottom of the picture is slanted.

hi eel,

thanks =)

i have no idea how #10 bottom is slanted.. i think it could caused by e distortation of the wide angle lens.. or a slight tilt of the lens perspective created a large distortation. :think:

#7 :thumbsup:

Clean and well composed with good contrasting colors.

Very interesting lines.

I think #7 works because :

1) simplicity
2) zig-zag line which ends within the frame is unlike straight or curve line which leads the viewer in from one edge of the frame and quickly out from another edge. The zig-zag line takes viewers on a ride much longer than a straight line and, by ending within the frame, it does not take the viewer out of the picture (instead, viewers will probably start to backtrack along the line to see the shadows).
3) dark shadows of the line gives depth (i.e. 3-D effect) to the picture.

I find this thread so interesting that I tried playing around with #7 :

Vertical and horizontal lines are static while diagonal/sloping lines are more dynamic :

Diagonally down (bearish trend)
line011nq.jpg

Diagonally up (bullish trend but not the conventional bullish trend on charts because it goes back in time)
line035ts.jpg

Diagonally up vertically (very bullish trend)
line023gu.jpg

I also tried playing with colours with the line to see their effects. Using 2 analogous (harmonious) colours (i.e. 2 less contrasting colours). Nevertheless, bright yellow is always screaming for attention.

lineana10iu.jpg

lineana20im.jpg

lineana33pk.jpg

Complementary colours (i.e. high contrasting colours) :

linecom18aj.jpg

linecom20ff.jpg

linecom33gg.jpg

zhang3feng said:
last one for the nite ;)

2006others075.jpg

Due to the size, position, colour, tone and texture of the wall relative to the line in the picture, the viewer's attention is mainly on the wall instead.

your weakness is showing too many of the same shot. #1-#5 & #12-#15. really bored me out. show your strongest and move on. liking them all doesn't mean you need to show them all.

foxtwo said:
your weakness is showing too many of the same shot. #1-#5 & #12-#15. really bored me out. show your strongest and move on. liking them all doesn't mean you need to show them all.

hi foxtwo, sorry to disappoint & bore you with my repeated shots, as mention on the thread title- "A Study of LINES", meaning it's just a study to explore and look at the different compositions and layout which u can do with lines..

this thread is not abt my best line photography which i had captured, but it's a learning process and expereince to share with..

Anyway thanks for your comment, i will use it for other posting next time ;)

Cheers!

whoa clockunder~ u have done a colour studies with my line work~ lol :bsmilie: so that's call a collabrative study of lines & colours.. ;) i like the bullish line going up!

Clockunder said:
Due to the size, position, colour, tone and texture of the wall relative to the line in the picture, the viewer's attention is mainly on the wall instead.

i find that the wall texture and the tone created by the lighting have minimal effect on the line, b'cos the texture and colour are constant, where as the thick black line creates a contrast from the constancy to capture the viewer attention.. infact i find it complementing with the thick dark line... ;)

great photos, thanks

zhang3feng said:
whoa clockunder~ u have done a colour studies with my line work~ lol :bsmilie: so that's call a collabrative study of lines & colours.. ;) i like the bullish line going up!

i find that the wall texture and the tone created by the lighting have minimal effect on the line, b'cos the texture and colour are constant, where as the thick black line creates a contrast from the constancy to capture the viewer attention.. infact i find it complementing with the thick dark line... ;)

I've been looking into lines recently too, to understand their impacts in photos and see how to use them or avoid their poor use in photo compositions. Usually, vertical and horizontal lines do not work well because they are static and, due to the way we build things as a result of gravitation forces and how we see things daily, many of them just go in from one edge of the frame and go straight out through another edge, leading the viewer out of the picture too quickly. Geometric shapes (such as circle, equilateral triangles etc.) formed by lines are also usually not as exciting as other less-uniform shapes.

In schools, we were taught in Arts classes not to use too contrasty colours (such as red on green background). That was more than 20 years ago for me and I had completely forgotten it until recently when I started taking pictures.

As for picture #11, the line goes in and the straight out and it's not only the same colour as the border but also of more or less uniform texture and colour. In contrast, the wall is in a more eye catching red and its texture and tone are not uniform across. Moreover, it is brighter and occupies a much larger part of the frame than the line. Humans are attracted first to bright things than dark things. So it's hard not to take a much longer and detailed look at the wall than at the line. In terms of colours, a dark red wall is harmonious with a black line because dark red is actually red + black.

zhang3feng said:

I think the horizontal lines are converging on the right because the distance from the left edge to your lens is nearer than the right edge's distance to your lens.

So the horizontal lines appeared to be slightly upward sloping at the bottom when the top is almost perfectly horizontal.

So either your lens was not perpendicular to the subject plane or your lens was not right in the centre between left and right edge.

Clockunder said:
As for picture #11, the line goes in and the straight out and it's not only the same colour as the border but also of more or less uniform texture and colour. In contrast, the wall is in a more eye catching red and its texture and tone are not uniform across. Moreover, it is brighter and occupies a much larger part of the frame than the line. Humans are attracted first to bright things than dark things. So it's hard not to take a much longer and detailed look at the wall than at the line. In terms of colours, a dark red wall is harmonious with a black line because dark red is actually red + black.

hi cloakunder,

after reading ur comments & back looking at pic #11, i still don't find the wall being the center of attention. My vision will always bring me to the center of the line no matter which part of the wall i looked at. Not sure if this apply to you or others looking at it but in my case, it does.

The red texture wall generally is jus to complement the dark line... the uneven lighting which fall more on the upper center of the image brings attention more to the line rather then to keep pple focusing on the texture which in this case, the texture is rather soft, thus not stealing away the limelight from the line.

i believe in pic #11 the texture plays more of a contrast role to make the line even more visual striking as the black line is a clean smooth straight line, whereas the red and black is a complementary effect which balance off the whole image.. maybe different pple have different taste.. i feel the overall feel is just right;)

anyway u mention about line play in the image, which in pic #11 it's straight in and straight out, edge to edge... there's a post-minimalism ideology in the image which is to keep it simple in composition and colour visual, creating a straight line edge to edge composition would allow more imagination to the viewer to see out of the box; when does the line ends? instead of bringing the viewer to go round and round in my image which i find it unnecessary..

wow... didnt expect this thread to bring out so much theory thingy... lol:sweat:

Clockunder said:
I think the horizontal lines are converging on the right because the distance from the left edge to your lens is nearer than the right edge's distance to your lens.

So the horizontal lines appeared to be slightly upward sloping at the bottom when the top is almost perfectly horizontal.

So either your lens was not perpendicular to the subject plane or your lens was not right in the centre between left and right edge.

ya this is slanted problem is because of my wide angel lens which i stand too close to the subject with a little tilt in angle, which will result in a big distortion at the bottom right:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.