A Store Worth Visiting - T K Foto Trading (Beach Road)

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone's mileage varies.

I did not get great service from them. I went there to test out the D300. After testing some time (10 mins perhaps) , the salesman told me to stop as he said "the shutter count on the camera will increase" and he will have difficulty selling it off. I was only firing occasional shots - testing the AF

This is the first time I have come across such a scenario - many other shops, Alan, Cathay, John, etc allow me unrestricted testing of the camera. Throughout my visit there, I did not feel any warmth in the shop - certainly not 10/10 - salesman was pretty cold and eventually resulting in that shutter count remark. I would rate it as 5.5/10 just above passing point

There is nothing really wrong with what they have done - the service was just above passing point - it's just very businesslike - but certainly no where near the 10/10 some of you have been raving about.

Would I visit this shop again? Too bad the answer is No ....
Which one served you?

It all boils down to how well you interact with the people there.

I haven't been in this hobby that long to be a 'regular' with many shops so I can't really say how the business is like here. But I would say I'm on decent terms with OP and MS, the staff there recognise me and I understand what they are busy with.

OP is as stated, is run by pretty nice fellas. The 2 guys and Lynn the lady boss are generally very friendly if you strike up a conversation with them. And what many people appreciate with their attitude is that they generally do not push you anything at all. "Ask and it shall be answered". It works well for me at least because I never like being pushed something which I have no interest in. Usually I would ask for an item and if the price is 'right' I'll just take it and not haggle anymore. If the price is not right, then I just politely smile and say thanks. So far.. I'm happy with this as it gives everyone a lot of elbow room.

As for MS, guess it really depends on the staff you interact with and the time too. Florence the lady boss will recognise me when I drop by, so does another 2 of their staff. Nope, I don't get the cheapest prices for things, especially the accessories but sometimes when I look at it, the $2-3 difference doesn't even stack up to the cost of transportation to the shops in town that can offer a better price. Not to mention the hassle. But so far, for big ticket items such as cameras, the prices have been (very) good, the service has been forthcoming. But if you're looking for 'technical' assistance then its not quite the place to go to. So far, I've had to exchange 2-3 items which were all my mistakes ( wrong specifications).. but no issues. Its always service with a smile. I would say I can't complaint about it really.

On a different note, the bicycle business in Singapore is another story altogether. I would say I'm a 'regular' with most of the higher profile (singular) shops and the owners all know me either by name or by face. Though I don't ever spend big money with them if ever at all. (bearing in mind my bike(s) is still far more expensive than my photographic equipment)

Its a different thing altogether from the photography business.

There are shops you go to for the service (extremely important for bicycles), there are shops you go to for the price, there are shops you go to for the (exclusive) products and there are shops you go to simply to chill out and meet up with friends. But of all the shops I go to, the conclusion with price is always the same for me, they all offer me the best price they can without me even needing to haggle. If the price is right, buy it, if not just don't pursue it. The typical stance is to ask about the price without any commitment to buy. If its good, time is right, buy it. If not, just say thanks. No issues.

It works very well for me because they all know me, that I'm a no fuss customer and its always frills free for them when they deal with me. It just becomes an obligation for them to give me the best possible price as its always welcome business for them. So much so, I often get unsolicited freebies and free service at the best possible prices without me even knowing they exist. Simply because they appreciate me as a customer and also me as a friend whom they can trust and share knowledge with.

Bear in mind though, its been my main hobby for almost 15 years.

Likewise, I think its particularly valid for photography too. Treat your shop with respect and maintain a good relationship with them, rest assured they will return in kind many folds over.
Like any human relationship, it takes a lot of patience and care. And its always reciprocative and not a one-way street. ;)

OP the ppl there normally dont attend to you unless you got something to ask them 1st.
the way they provide customer service is not very sg style.
so if you prefer ppl to come up to you like taka promoters then is not going to work that way in OP unless you're a regular customer.
Different customers got different expectations. I, for one, hate to be pestered. I would rather have the salesman leave me along till I decide which to buy. Some, on the other hand, would want to have a salesman at their beck and call so they can ask questions.

Which one served you?

i can't remember - it was in late Dec last year.

when i went there there were 2 salesman - the other salesman was on the phone who appeared to be more friendly than the one serving me based on his tone

yea i had bad experiences with those small shops before. grumpy people who were impatient.

now i rather buy from places like audio house.. always got digital fair. no need to pay cash also got freebies thrown in.

Though must specifically state that for some items, it's impossible to buy from places like courts or Harvey Norman.. For example, I was looking out for Canon Speedlite 430EX flash, $599 at courts. :p

yea i had bad experiences with those small shops before. grumpy people who were impatient.

now i rather buy from places like audio house.. always got digital fair. no need to pay cash also got freebies thrown in.
Free gifts also have cost, usually bandle with the camera's RP.

So it depends on people need the free goodies/gifts.

Ya.... the free gifts given out at South Asia, the most champion ones : 2GB class 2 SD card and card reader????

I tried out TK Foto based on the recommendations here. Didn't leave with a good impression.

The small shop was empty other than the an older fella who was constantly on his handphone and a younger guy who was seated in the office (some facial resemblance so I'm guessing they are father and son... no offence intended if I'm wrong).

I waited courteously for 3 minutes while the older fella continued talking away. However, he even walked away when I finally signalled for some service. It was another 2 minutes before he strolled over to the younger fella and signalled him to ask me what I wanted.

I asked for the camera I was interested in and remained patient and soft-spoken throughout even though I admit that I am usually necessarily domineering and loud at work. I didn't want to be a typical demanding local customer.

The young fella was generally quiet and showed a "tolerant" face as I quietly tried out the camera like any genuine shopper would. However, when I directly asked for the price and any promo freebies, the young man was obviously at the edge of impatience and quoted me a price. It was not the lowest quote I've heard but it was in the ballpark region. I tried having a conversation and remained soft-spoken when attempting to bargain (only asked for an additional filter) but the fella simply refused to negotiate and effectively indicated that it was the end of the matter.

I wasn't badly dressed as I had just left work and I'm in my late 30s without much of a Singlish accent. Nor was I rude and demanding in my manner. I have to say that I was disappointed by the cold service and lazy manner.... and still am. I can't see how I can buy anything from a place that I will feel uncomfortable re-visiting, for anything from warranty issues to additional purchases. Even certain Ah Beng shops attempt to provide a semblance of service.

I went off and bought my new camera at a well-known rival in SLS an hour later at a lower price and where even though the salesman was tough in bargaining, at least gave some token LCD protector while providing proper service, advice and courtesy.

My first impression of them is also the same as you when I first asked them about pricing. It depends on who you hook up with. Still, I will still go there once a while for items.

Guess every shop has it's strength and weakness. Bought my 40D from J316. Took 2 hrs to complete because it was a Saturday. However I was glad because they help me solve a lens problem later. Bought my 580EX flash from OP. Did the research, just went there, ask for the flash, paid up and left. Key to all these urchases is prior research.

BTW another good shop which gives good price for electronic goods is Paris Silk Store. I buy nearly all my household electrical stuff there.

Walk around a few shops, buy your stuff from the shop you are most comfortable with, price/service.

goering, maybe they didn't spot you as a potential. I hate it when salesman size you up and mark you out as either 'will buy' or 'waste time'. sigh...

It's a pity most sales people are like that. I encountered such things when i went into AP at funan. I asked whether i could try out a sigma 18-50, but the counter person promptly replied 'wait.' in a rude manner. The thing is they stereotype that students like me have 'lower' buying power. Shortly after, my dad came into the shop pulled me out and i went up to J316.
This time I got myself the lens i wanted to try. The salesperson there attended happily to me for almost an hour or more (this was on a Saturday), seeing that the $$ supply is behind me. :bigeyes:
I hope these guys would not look at people differently and class them straight away as 'buyers' or 'on-lookers'. C'mon we're all customers. :think:

i try ms color(amkhub) some time ago buying a filter later found they gave me a defective filter then ask for replacement quote say no more stock pass me another brand ask for top up in the end found out got cheated never go back again.

OP went there to check out some acessories price but the lady seem like not sure(maybe not interested) about the price and busy serving amos although i dun have ton of cash to throw at them, but believe i can spent handsomely when i need so dun border ever go to shop which dun serve me.

TCW went there to repaired my lense once, after repaired found out result still not expected therefore request for reconfirmed later when collect ask for additional charge some more problem not solve forget about going back again.

The best is yet to be at the moment

busy serving me? ha.

at the end of the day, its just business. service, to me, is definitely a very big factor when im considering a big purchase. c'mon who'd wana spend money at a place just to have some 'undeserving' fella earn from it?

about 3:16, my initial impression was that it was a pretty decent place. sam and the rest were all polite, as per my friend's testimony of his experience there. when my camera of interest was bought off by a foreigner, i got a verbal guarantee that the stock will come by the next weekend. sure enough i came the following weekend and, you guessed it, the stock was not in and the salesman tried to sell me a 'higher-end' camera. the third time, i went back looking for the same camera, with his promise of stock, gave me nothing but repeated disappointment and yet another wasted trip. there after, they didnt quite bother about me no more and went about their things again.

eventually, CP was the place i went to go get my camera. the salesperson who attended to me was rather polite, though a little withheld. the salesman at the tripod section was rather helpful and also gave decent service. but it was a turn-off when one of the other salesperson at the camera section (probably a senior) was rather commanding and inpolite in his speech, when they realised that they had to draw the camera from their store to let me have a look-see. he was like, "are you buying, cause we need to draw it out, y'know? you sure you buying, ah?". what in the world was that about? so i cant view it if i wasnt sure i was gona get it? ballocks.

i dont and wont recommend anyone to any place, cause it all depends on your mood that day and also that of the salesperson. but with your purchase, the most important is you get what you want and also at a price that you are willing to part with.

in the end, its all about you and your camera.

he was like, "are you buying, cause we need to draw it out, y'know? you sure you buying, ah?". what in the world was that about? so i cant view it if i wasnt sure i was gona get it? ballocks.
Are you saying they don't have a demo unit for you to take a look? Normally, the practice in most shops is for the customers to try out on a demo unit, if everything is fine (including the price), the customer will say ok and they will go to the store to take out a new unit. You wouldn't want to buy a camera that has been opened before yourself, would you? I agree the way the salesman's word/tone/attitude might not be very nice but he might just want to confirm that you will buy if there is no problem with the unit.

Hm...I have always felt that different shops are strong in different items in terms of price. There will never be 1 shop that is cheap in everything. But most imortantly, we ourselves should be understanding customers too. If the shop owners know you and are able to build a rapport with you, they are also happy and vice versa.

My experience with MS is not good, sometimes scheming. But we have to admit that they treat their loyal customers very well. My stand is me and the people there just don't click, so I don't go there anymore after buying 1 lens.

TK has been the shop that I have went for all my purchases there after. Some give and take between both parties will make things better. Even for example if I want a thousand over dollar item and the price difference is $20, I may still want to stick to the same shop, simply because there are also other things that I buy which are much cheaper than other places. As long you have done the basic research and the price difference is not too big, in the end it should balance off.

As much as some of us are hardworking to go around asking for best price, I do find it tiring at times to run from shop to shop.

I tried out TK Foto based on the recommendations here. Didn't leave with a good impression.

The small shop was empty other than the an older fella who was constantly on his handphone and a younger guy who was seated in the office (some facial resemblance so I'm guessing they are father and son... no offence intended if I'm wrong).

I waited courteously for 3 minutes while the older fella continued talking away. However, he even walked away when I finally signalled for some service. It was another 2 minutes before he strolled over to the younger fella and signalled him to ask me what I wanted.

I asked for the camera I was interested in and remained patient and soft-spoken throughout even though I admit that I am usually necessarily domineering and loud at work. I didn't want to be a typical demanding local customer.

The young fella was generally quiet and showed a "tolerant" face as I quietly tried out the camera like any genuine shopper would. However, when I directly asked for the price and any promo freebies, the young man was obviously at the edge of impatience and quoted me a price. It was not the lowest quote I've heard but it was in the ballpark region. I tried having a conversation and remained soft-spoken when attempting to bargain (only asked for an additional filter) but the fella simply refused to negotiate and effectively indicated that it was the end of the matter.

I wasn't badly dressed as I had just left work and I'm in my late 30s without much of a Singlish accent. Nor was I rude and demanding in my manner. I have to say that I was disappointed by the cold service and lazy manner.... and still am. I can't see how I can buy anything from a place that I will feel uncomfortable re-visiting, for anything from warranty issues to additional purchases. Even certain Ah Beng shops attempt to provide a semblance of service.

I went off and bought my new camera at a well-known rival in SLS an hour later at a lower price and where even though the salesman was tough in bargaining, at least gave some token LCD protector while providing proper service, advice and courtesy.
Wrong day, they are prob both busy with other work.

dont they have a display set for you to test instead of taking a new cam out from the box?

they did not take it out of a brand new box - it was a cam like any otehr camera shop in which i requested to test. i had no issues at other shops - in fact i was pretty taken aback - the savings grace being that the salesman wasn't rude, just being very businesslike and cold

goering, maybe they didn't spot you as a potential. I hate it when salesman size you up and mark you out as either 'will buy' or 'waste time'. sigh...

if they do that (spotting potential customers), how can this be "a store worth visiting" and rated 10? i get FAR better service at harvey norman even when it was obvious i was just trying out teh camera

Wrong day, they are prob both busy with other work.

nah .. cutter already said it was empty that day. So was my case, in both our cases, it was the same 2 salesmen. in both cases, just like cutter's case, TK photo delivered service as cold as the North pole glacier

Isn't the key here consistency? They can afford consistent service, everyone happy. If you, as a customer, consistently go back there to the same place, they also consistently recognise you as a buyer and start giving consistent service...

But what really sets stores apart is the service they give out to the initial buyer. You walk in, they recognise you straight away and treat you like a buying customer in any case... that was the feeling I had when I walked out of J316 this afternoon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.