A storage question

Raptor2k7

Jul 8, 2010
hi guys,

if i travel to indonesia/malaysia for 1 or 2 week holiday with my dslr, do i have to bring the drybox and sillica gel together with me? don't have to bring those dry cabinet when travelling right?

if i leave my camera overnight a few days in the bag, it is okay right?

btw, for the below picture, is that fungus growth? looks scary to me

helpr.png

Fungus will not grow during short-term duration. You dont have to bring your drybox along for your week or two trip :)

I think should be ok without the dry box, I have done 6 days in Malaysia without the dry box. Air con in the room should help to keep the camera somewhat dry.

hi guys,

if i travel to indonesia/malaysia for 1 or 2 week holiday with my dslr, do i have to bring the drybox and sillica gel together with me? don't have to bring those dry cabinet when travelling right?

if i leave my camera overnight a few days in the bag, it is okay right?

btw, for the below picture, is that fungus growth? looks scary to me

helpr.png

If you leave your lenses in stale humid air for long periods, fungus will grow. A few days or several weeks will not matter too much. If you are that worried, when you are in air-con room, just open your bag, and let it air.

No.. specks in the picture look like dust.

Fungus will not grow in just 2 weeks so no worries there and i assume that u are going to use it very frequently during your trip so even less of a worry:)

also, i don't really see much of a fungal growth in the picture

hey dont be so paranoid.. go holiday or trip overseas don't need to bring all those dry cab thingy...

just enjoy the holiday...

make sure you don't let ur camera drink sea water, eat oily greasy stuff.. and wipe down before you store away at night...

when you come back from trip then clean clean and put it back in the dry cabinet lor...

it will look really ridiculous and kiasu if you go holiday oso bring a air-tight box with silica gel...

Introducing the Zorb-It Ci™ High performance moisture control. I used it when i go holiday for a week, it can maintain the RH percentage even within a camera bag, not neccessary a seal container.

For me, it works like a charm. But if you're not putting it into a seal container, it will become muddy feel, or like a balloon...
If you're afraid of fungus growth in your equipment, try this. (I'm not affiliated with them) Just sharing my experience.

I had gone overseas for more than a month both during winter and hot summer. No fungus spotted without dry box on all occasions. Just travel light and enjoy your trip :)

I also think it does not matter but I do have a DIY solution which may interest you.

I keep my equipments in these ziplock gallon bags, and I pour some silica gels into them. Can either let them run freely around the ziplock bag, or if it bothers you, then can also put them in tissue paper then kinda tie them up. The ziplock doubles up as protection for equipments from rain or other wetness. :)

Silica gel is $4 per 500g. Gallon bags are recycleable, but 20bags shouldn't cost like more than $5 (I use the cheapo First Choice non-branded ones).

Last edited:
btw guys, i have just bought a dry cabinet just now..

2 questions please

1) the reading on the meter doesn't go down immediately, i have to wait for some time for the RH value to go down..how come ah?

2) i can just throw my camera inside right? thanks

btw guys, i have just bought a dry cabinet just now..
1) the reading on the meter doesn't go down immediately, i have to wait for some time for the RH value to go down..how come ah?
This is normal. The dehumidifier works slowly to draw the moisture out. It doesn't need to hit the target ratio immediately.
i can just throw my camera inside right? thanks
I think throw might be a wrong word.;) It depends on the state of your camera. You may want to wipe it down - oily hands, dust etc. before putting it in. Take out battery if storing for a long time (some people may disagree on this but I think it is a preference thing). Just remember, the camera is a precision mechanical and electronic instrument and if you treat it like one, it will serve you well for a long long time.

There's no need to bring a dry box and such for travelling.travel light and enjoy to the maximum.dun worry bout your camera,clean it thoroughly when you are back then it should be fine.do get paranoid.send it for servicing if it get fungal.no big deal.
Enjoy your camera men.its not a baby.

I also think it does not matter but I do have a DIY solution which may interest you.

I keep my equipments in these ziplock gallon bags, and I pour some silica gels into them. Can either let them run freely around the ziplock bag, or if it bothers you, then can also put them in tissue paper then kinda tie them up. The ziplock doubles up as protection for equipments from rain or other wetness. :)

Silica gel is $4 per 500g. Gallon bags are recycleable, but 20bags shouldn't cost like more than $5 (I use the cheapo First Choice non-branded ones).

Where to buy Silica gel?

daiso is a good place to buy. or you can reuse those you find in food packaging if it is clean.

fungus shouldn't be an issue if you control the humidity you are exposing the camera.
Air con rooms are great.

Larger cold storage and NTUC sell them too :)

A lot of places, even those small print photograph shops, a number of them will sell.

Photography shops sell them in big bottles. At least those that I come across.
It it is just for travel, getting a $2 satchel from Daiso should do fine.