A soon-convert-to-be..

Status
Not open for further replies.

eejal

Deregistered
May 4, 2005
End of the Line
Dear Sirs,
i have some basic knowledge of photography and currently own a C**** 350D. Used to own a Fujiflm S6500fd which i love most because of its colors... Having this C makes me longed for my ex Fuji cam cuz i dun quite like the colors out of it....and most of all its sooooo common..heheh. i'm da sort of person who doesn't go along with the maintream... like to try something different. was browsing in CS and i happened to click on Pentax thread (which, to tell u the truth, i normally give a miss) and was awed by the quality pictures out of this brand. supported by the reviews by dpreview, it makes my decision to convert stronger..

i'm inda midst of selling my 4 mths old 350D so wish to take ownership of a used K10 or K20 for a start but i'm clueless on which one to get.

my main photography wld be my family, my kids, landscape, travel...

am hoping to get some tips and help from this niche, and tight group.

till i hear from you guys again...ciao!!

p.s: sorry for my poor english....only scored b4 for O's..:sweat:

regards,
rizal

Come on board and you will never regret.:D

If you can get your hands on a K10D it is a good start. I got mine from one of the guys in the Pentax forum too.

If you can get your hands on a K10D it is a good start. I got mine from one of the guys in the Pentax forum too.

one example of a great help!

your posts came minutes after i posted my thread...
many thanks bro.... yeah, think i shld go for K10 instead..

but i'm confused abt the alphabets in the lenses ...whats the diff?

Could you list an example?

i got this from the Pentax Megathread..

Pentax SMCP-DA 14mm f/2.8 ED (IF)
Pentax SMCP-FA 28mm f/2.8 AL
Pentax SMCP-FA 28mm f/2.8 Soft
Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL
Pentax SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro

the SMCP-DA, FA, SMCP-D FA got me thinking and scratching my head:think:...

:sweatsm: join us, sure no sweat one!! :lovegrin:

could any of you show me an example of a macro shot from a Pentax cam? and some night shots too? heheheh

i got this from the Pentax Megathread..

Pentax SMCP-DA 14mm f/2.8 ED (IF)
Pentax SMCP-FA 28mm f/2.8 AL
Pentax SMCP-FA 28mm f/2.8 Soft
Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL
Pentax SMCP-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro

the SMCP-DA, FA, SMCP-D FA got me thinking and scratching my head:think:...

Hmm... here's an extract from a very nice summary written by our very own fengwei:
1. Basically K/M lenese are the same while M lenses are smaller/lighter than K versions
2. A lenses are similar to M lenses with additional exposure info (extra pins on the mount side)
3. F lenses have (first generation) auto focusing and everything else that A lenses have
4. FA lenses is similar to F lenses but have second generation auto focusing .
5. FAJ lensese are cheaper version FA lenses with plastic mount and less of aperture ring (to reduce cost) - which can only be fully used on modern bodies (film and digital) because the lack of aperture ring. while all FA lenses have metal mount and aperture rings.
6. DFA lenses are similar to FA lenses with digitally enhanced design and coating.
7. DA lenses are similar to DFA lenses but with no aperture ring, and mostly are designed for APS-C sensor. They can still be used on modern film bodies but mostly you'd see dark corners (vignetting). But the DA40/2.8 Limited lens has been approved to be able to use on a film body without any problem.

You can read more in this post here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269055

Hmm... here's an extract from a very nice summary written by our very own fengwei:

You can read more in this post here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269055

yes sir, i cut and paste from the thread...:cry:

many thanks for the link...i will enrich myself with the infos from there... :thumbsup:

I am curious y didnt you recommend new K20D instead? Sorry if I ask stupid question, I am just being curious....

Like you I once owned the S6500FD and decided to move to DSLR

i know...i saw ur replies n Fuji S6500fd thread. ;p

I am curious y didnt you recommend new K20D instead? Sorry if I ask stupid question, I am just being curious....

maybe K10d is more affordable to me...
K20d is like $1800...so..:nono:

I entered into the world of photography with the Fuji S9500 and I'm sure u'll love the color of Pentax. If you are on budget, I suggest u get these lens for ur photography;

DA 18-55 aka Kit Lens for travel & basic landscape. Unlike other brands kit lens, this one really can give u result & it's light weight. If you have more to spend, you can try getting the DA 16-45 f4 or Sigma 17-70mm or Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

For portraits on budget get the FA 50mm f1.4^^

Dear Sirs,
i have some basic knowledge of photography and currently own a C**** 350D. Used to own a Fujiflm S6500fd which i love most because of its colors... Having this C makes me longed for my ex Fuji cam cuz i dun quite like the colors out of it....and most of all its sooooo common..heheh. i'm da sort of person who doesn't go along with the maintream... like to try something different. was browsing in CS and i happened to click on Pentax thread (which, to tell u the truth, i normally give a miss) and was awed by the quality pictures out of this brand. supported by the reviews by dpreview, it makes my decision to convert stronger..

i would like to think that we in pentax forums tend to give a more balanced view of things. i hope. :bsmilie: anyways, colors, colors.. it's all subjective, and to get full potential of color, unless you only want out-of-cam pictures.. you usually have to do some post processing.

if you're talking about out-of-cam, then frankly it's just a matter of adjusting in-cam settings, be it contrast/saturation and white balance.. :) and yes, pentax tends to have more vibrant colors out-of-cam, but to be honest, that's not to say that you cannot do it with other brands as well.

why should you go pentax? for many other reasons, be it price - you get a lot more bang for your buck, be it pancake lenses, you get compact, sharp lenses that aren't excessively priced (not at current status).. you get to post in pentax forums (just kidding about this one, anyone's welcome)..

but i think it's probably fair enough to say that color shouldn't be a consideration, if i be frank. :)

as for k100d versus k200d versus k10d versus k20d, it all depends. i would like to think that all are strong offerings that have different appeals to different people. if you must have good build with more megapixels, then go for the k10d. otherwise i personally think it's probably the weakest offering from pentax right now, since it is not-here, not-there.. other than the price comparative to the newer models, of course. :)

Last edited:
I have been using K100D for a very very long time .... at times k20D kicks my butts on and off... It still depends on personal choice and what you think you want in the photo you take.

I write down every single points of my needs ... and then decides.

nightmere, could briefly share the experience of owning the K100D and K20D? Does picture quality improves greatly?

My concern is the quality / natural contract of the picture taken without any post possessing in the first instance..

Thanks

nightmere, could briefly share the experience of owning the K100D and K20D? Does picture quality improves greatly?

My concern is the quality / natural contract of the picture taken without any post possessing in the first instance..

Thanks

at same size, frankly, indiscernible for low iso etc. but pentax k20d has more leeway for cropping since it has a whooping 14 megapixels. can come in handy, especially for the person who doesn't have telephoto lenses (like me).

response, ergonomics, frankly k20d trumps k100d any day. along with shutter sound - the k100d is really a tad too light after i use the k20d, and noisy too.

both tend to yield similar color palettes when left on auto wb, and also richness is always there. but the dynamic range of the k20d is much, much better than the k100d.

You can see alot by shifu Longko...

>.< Anyway since eejal is eyeing for K10D for macro, maybe these will help.^^; Pentax color is easier to PP compared to ur current camera. I'd tested PP quite a few shots from 30D and I had problem getting the colors I like^^;

IMGP9279copy.jpg

IMGP2172copy.jpg

IMGP0255copy.jpg

IMGP1069copy.jpg

IMGP1020copy.jpg

Edit: BTW if you really wanna bring out the power of Pentax colors, I suggest u learn how to use Kelvin temp (especially with flash). It'll help save u time to PP if you managed to get the right K and exposure^^

Last edited:
K10D is a good start... i also personally prefer the CCD output of the K10D than CMOS K20D...anyway thats just me...

a word of caution, there is always an initial adjustment when u switch, u might even feel if u have made the right choice, but u can trust ppl like night86mare and longko, they have produce great pics with pentax, so once u overcome the initial learning curve of the camera, im sure in no time we will see great pics from u...:)

and also be very clear on the lens/lenses u plan to have/use, ultimately it must be able to serve ur purpose. Good luck future pentaxian...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.