A shot from Singapore Flyer - Marina

JamieRayn

Feb 15, 2009
Singapore
IMG_2473-1.jpg

Hi all,

This photo was taken from Singapore Flyer. I'm trying to show the Marina area in memory feel. ;)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Welcome any comments! I like to convert photos to B&W and with alittle vintage feel but wish to know how others feel about it. ;p

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to take photos where everyone will enjoy viewing and appreciate. No one is perfect and I wish to keep improving myself.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Full landscape of Marina area. The whole place is amazing and I want it to be remembered.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It makes me feel like taking the flyer and see this Marina area again. I like the way it was taken. :lovegrin:

Like the Composition - Good Viewpoint & right Coverage. Thanks for providing another photo point.

1 or 2 small note: Vignetting quite obvious, can consider removing in your photo editing software. Image Colors (tone) is a little harsh. Not sure if it is strong noon sun (but photo taken at 10am) or the constrast settings was too high.

It is just my two-cents comments. Ignore if you think my comments does not make sense :)

I think its really nice. Good composition, good b/w effect. works for me:)

mbs look abit tilt to the left.
floating platform give abit more room
look abit soft

I personally find the vignetting is quite nice. Together with the B&W, it does give out some old vintage feel to it (I guess this is what you meant by "memory" feel?).

Buildings look straight enough, so I don't find the picture tilted.

i like it

buildings in the background look a little slanted... but not too obvious...
when i first saw the picture i was "eh? this is a photo from singapore in the 1960s??"
nice nostalgic feel :)

This picture is not bad but few points you need to fix:

1. Picture is soft. misfocus? camera shake? Maybe you should try to see if you can save it with USM
2. Picture is tilted slightly to the left.
3. There is obvious keystone distortion (buildings are leaning out towards sides of the frame). This is caused by a higher perspective and you are pointing your lens downward. You need to fix it in PP.

IMG_2473-1.jpg

Hi all,

This photo was taken from Singapore Flyer. I'm trying to show the Marina area in memory feel. ;)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Welcome any comments! I like to convert photos to B&W and with alittle vintage feel but wish to know how others feel about it. ;p

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to take photos where everyone will enjoy viewing and appreciate. No one is perfect and I wish to keep improving myself.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Full landscape of Marina area. The whole place is amazing and I want it to be remembered.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
It makes me feel like taking the flyer and see this Marina area again. I like the way it was taken. :lovegrin:

I think you were trying to create a 'nostalgic' feel?
I would say that you did a pretty good job. I like your composition, and your PP style does bring out this mood.
If you really want to improve this photo, then take heed of daredevil123's pointers to you. I don't have anything more to add to his comments.
But otherwise this photo is pretty darn good already.
Do keep posting! Cheers!

nice i like it

Thanks everyone for the critiques.

The buildings were very mild slight slanted as I wanna keep it as original as possible in order not to make the picture look too fake. I did some adjustments to the marina sands building though... ;p coz the distortion by the wide lens were very bad. But I thought it should look natural as the Earth is round! ;)

Daredevil: There's no camera shake. The far far away buildings were slightly out of focus because of the bright glaring sun and my pathetic sigma 20mm can't adsorb all the details with f/11. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Thanks everyone for the critiques.

The buildings were very mild slight slanted as I wanna keep it as original as possible in order not to make the picture look too fake. I did some adjustments to the marina sands building though... ;p coz the distortion by the wide lens were very bad. But I thought it should look natural as the Earth is round! ;)

Daredevil: There's no camera shake. The far far away buildings were slightly out of focus because of the bright glaring sun and my pathetic sigma 20mm can't adsorb all the details with f/11. Thanks for the comments anyway.

Oh... the sigma 20/1.8... I tried that lens once... it has some problems with softness when focused at inifinity @ wider apertures. Ended up I got the 24/1.8 instead.

What a pity that the pic is so soft. Could have been nice if sharp.

Last edited:
not too bad, i think the bnw here is done ok.

same points on the sharpness, and i prefer a bit more space on the right.

f/11 should be sufficient DOF for this scene.

i suspect you were shooting through glass, and thus you are probably getting the stains/dirt on the glass appearing in your photo as OOF things.

better to shoot with a larger aperture here, actually.

f/11 should be sufficient DOF for this scene.

i suspect you were shooting through glass, and thus you are probably getting the stains/dirt on the glass appearing in your photo as OOF things.

better to shoot with a larger aperture here, actually.

Not a good idea with that lens bro. Sigma 20mm prime has some issues with wide apertures focused at infinity.

Last edited:
5190091266_cbf3bd6608_z.jpg

Did some slight minor adjustments. I realised that hosting picture at photobucket.com, will affect the image quality. :confused:
Personally, I quite like Sigma 20mm lens. Hmm... depends on how you use it, the effect can be amazing. :)

Last edited:
5190091266_cbf3bd6608_z.jpg

Did some slight minor adjustments. I realised that hosting picture at photobucket.com, will affect the image quality. :confused:
Personally, I quite like Sigma 20mm lens. Hmm... depends on how you use it, the effect can be amazing. :)

much better. ;)