A short review of the 10D

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
Not quite dpreview standard, but hope this helps those who are trying to decide.

For countless nights I lay tossing and turning, debating with myself - 1D or 10D? 10D or 1D?

The wife had given the go-ahead to get the best one (so that I would stop upgrading). Of course I wanted the 1D... or did I? Simon had told me about a mint condition secondhand 1D available for a pretty good price. I could get it immediately, without having to wait a week or two for the 10D to arrive.

Yet I hesitated. Although everyone on dpreview who has it declares that they never regretted getting one, I wondered if it would fill my needs, as a street photographer. It was just too darn big, and a different ball game from what I was used to with the D30. Color matrix profiles, RAW processing (to get the best images) and stuff I was not sure I wanted to bother with. Plus a CCD sensor that attracted dust, and NiMH batteries instead of Li-ion ones. I really did not need 45 AF points, since I prefer to decide for myself where I want the AF by using one AF point and recomposing. Neither did I need weather sealing since I did not plan to ever cover Iraq or Vietnam. The only things that the 1D had which the 10D did not have were the 1.3 crop and 8 frames per second (though I wonder how useful that would be since I already have great difficulty choosing between 6 frames shot at 3 fps. Imagine having to choose between 16 identical frames for that one good shot).

On the other hand, the specifications of the 10D met all 3 requirements I would want in an upgrade to my venerable D30 - better autofocus, lighted AF points and 6 MP. The D60 had two out of three - not good enough, so I did not upgrade. The 10D, if you look at Canon's camera chart, shares more in common with the 1D and 1Ds than the D30 and D60, as you can guess from the position of the "D" in the designation. A baby 1D, so to speak, rather than a grown-up D60. Yet it is so similar to the D30 that I would be able to operate it immediately without having to relearn a lot of things.

So I got the 10D today. What do I like about it?

1. Better autofocus. This has got to be the top of the list. It addresses the one weakness of the D30 and D60. So now my DSLR has no weakness. It focuses spot-on in dim room lighting. Sure, it does not focus in total darkness, but it is able to focus in lighting conditions way below the level of handholdability, even at ISO 1600, which incidentally is very low in noise.

2. Quieter shutter. It's just so much smoother and quieter than what I am used to. "Sherk" rather than "Clackety-clack". Very important for shooting discreetly in the street.

3. Faster shutter response. I never thought the D30 had any shutter lag until I used the 10D today.

4. LCD backlight.

5. Lighted AF points. At last I can see WHERE the AF point is when I am trying to focus in dim light. D60 owners will not understand this problem.

6. Brighter viewfinder (not that I will do any manual focusing).

7. Ability to use the BG-ED3 and BP-511 batteries. This is important, since I already have these. It makes the 10D two cameras in one - a small consumer SLR I can tuck into my MiniOrion and cycle round with, or a 1D lookalike and feelalike with long battery life and a wonderful balance to the heavier lenses I use for event shooting. The dual battery charger is great for home use, and the single charger is great for travelling. You can "convert" a 10D into a 1D, but not vice versa.

8. The new position of the buttons.

9. Much faster writing times and formatting times.

10. There's more, but I'm rushing this review.

What don't I like about it?

1. 6 megapixels. What? Only 68 shots on my 256MB CF card? You've got to be kidding! Time to get a bigger CF card. In the meantime I'll use the 2.8 MP mode if I'm short of disk space.

2. That's about it.

I'll be testing all my Sigma lenses now and will report any incompatibilities.

Many thanks to Simon who camped overnight for 3 nights at AP just to reserve one set of 10D for me.

PS I got the long white gown to go with my new girlfriend. TOGETHER they cost $50 LESS than what I would have paid for a secondhand 1D.

The error 99 problem with the Sigma 105 mm EX Macro is confirmed. You only get it when you try to stop down the lens. At f2.8, no error. But who uses a macro lens at f2.8?

All my other Sigma lenses (20mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 15mm fisheye) work fine at different apertures. Have not tested the Canon lenses, but they should be all right (OR ELSE!).

Guess I will be keeping the D30 to use the macro with. Either that or sell it off and get a Canon 100mm macro.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
The error 99 problem with the Sigma 105 mm EX Macro is confirmed. You only get it when you try to stop down the lens. At f2.8, no error. But who uses a macro lens at f2.8?

All my other Sigma lenses (20mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 15mm fisheye) work fine at different apertures. Have not tested the Canon lenses, but they should be all right (OR ELSE!).

Guess I will be keeping the D30 to use the macro with. Either that or sell it off and get a Canon 100mm macro.

hmm..let me go test on my sigma 15-30 too

btw, cheap PM ok

By the way (this is for Jed) - the 70-200 f2.8 VR (I mean, IS) USM works like a dream. I did not think it humanly possible to take such sharp handheld shots in such low light. Now that I can actually achieve AF in these conditions with the 10D, it makes sense to move to IS.

ok...tested on the sigma 15-30
no problem at all the aperture

tried on a 50/1.8 and 28-105 USM, and i suddenly realise how come the 28-105 AF become so fast and quiet!

one nice thing for those who like to shoot continuously...

after u fired in burst mode, once you leave your finger off the trigger, all the images will be display IMMEDIATELY at a rate of about 3fps, just like movie like that.....while the camera is processing and writing to the CF.

i tried to fill up the 9 frames buffer, but the camera processing speed is really fast, as the camera finished processing one pic, it will write to the CF card while process another pic at the same time. this will also free up the buffer for u to shoot some more. within seconds, the camera finishes processing all the 9 frames, but i think my TwinMos CF is not really fast so it will take some time for the image to be written to the CF. but the last part doesn't really matters to the user because you can start shooting again once the camera finish processing.

I am not familar with D60 and 1D, so i am not sure how they works, but for an ex-D30 user, this is a really great improvement

P.S. sorry for the lousy english, it is late already so i dun have time to phase my sentences properly

10d users pls report this in your future reviews: I have gotten *lots* of blur shots with D60 for actions, no matter slow or fast, bright or dim (of course) light. I think my hand is relatively stable, so most likely it's the AF luggish problem. I think future 10d/D100 buyers may be interested in this aspect.

btw, I am still dreaming on a 1D/3D. Personally think 10D for a D60 user is not a major enhancement. I meant the final image result. If possible, I need the top AF speed so can catch actions in low light.

Overall, I believe 10D will be a very very popular camera at such a competitive price. Canon is really doing great job! Hope Nikon and other brands catch up so the prices of entire DSLR lines can be reduced.

Here waiting for the 1d successor or 3d.:p

Originally posted by tomshen

If possible, I need the top AF speed so can catch actions in low light.

Overall, I believe 10D will be a very very popular camera at such a competitive price. Canon is really doing great job! Hope Nikon and other brands catch up so the prices of entire DSLR lines can be reduced.

i think u may want to go straight to 1D if u want best AF

yeah...nikon, sigma, fuji better catch up too...more competition the merrier...in the end we the consumer benefits

Wai, could you post up a pic of what's in the package, so that we can have a vague idea of what we're expecting? :)

Originally posted by sehsuan
Wai, could you post up a pic of what's in the package, so that we can have a vague idea of what we're expecting? :)

camera body..one big bag of manual...power cable, charger, one battery, neck sling, CDs, USB cable

hmm...should be that's all

no memory card included..not important anyway

A couple of samples, taken with my lousiest lens (Tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6).

Settings: ISO 1600, 1/60s f5.6 at 114mm, AWB under fluorescent lighting. Focused on the word "Clarinase". Straight out of camera except for resizing:
iso1600a.jpg

This is a 100% crop. Love the film-like grain!
iso1600b.jpg

Initial impressions from my short hands-on in the shop, compared to Nikon D100.

10D:
1. About on par with D100 in terms of AF speed. (Based on 20-35/3.5-4.5USM on 10D, AF-S 24-85/3.5-4.5G on D100).

2. AF much better than I remember on a D30.

3. Image Preview slower than D100. Takes a longer time to show the image captured - I think 10D writes to the CF then show, D100 shows while it's being written.

4. Image Playback is slower than D100. While D100 shows the images rather quickly, there's a slight lag on the 10D. A lowres one is shown first. Confirmed with an ex-D30 user this is also the case on D30.

5. Interface is rather quirky, each button does multiple functions. E.g. Drive/ISO is in one button. Not major issue. Personal thing. Canon users should have no problem.

6. Response time is pretty good.

7. Image zoom implementation is not bad.

8. Overall feel is pretty ok, though another customer in the shop who used a D30 previously said it doesn't feel the same, and that he prefer the feel of the D30/60.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Wai
camera body..one big bag of manual...power cable, charger, one battery, neck sling, CDs, USB cable

hmm...should be that's all

no memory card included..not important anyway

PS Elements 2.0 is inside too. :)

Regards
CK

By the way (this is for Jed) - the 70-200 f2.8 VR (I mean, IS) USM works like a dream. I did not think it humanly possible to take such sharp handheld shots in such low light. Now that I can actually achieve AF in these conditions with the 10D, it makes sense to move to IS.

what did u shoot?

Some toy boxes across the room, lit by a single light bulb.

oh chey... thought u started shooting your kids' cherubic faces sleeping already...
;p

2. Quieter shutter. It's just so much smoother and quieter than what I am used to. "Sherk" rather than "Clackety-clack". Very important for shooting discreetly in the street.

3. Faster shutter response. I never thought the D30 had any shutter lag until I used the 10D today.

if these are impt to you, may i introduce u to.....uhmmm nebermind :)

PS I got the long white gown to go with my new girlfriend. TOGETHER they cost $50 LESS than what I would have paid for a secondhand 1D.

wow u really got a new dress for your new girlfriend? that's 2 major purchases in a day - u should be all set..for now :p

Let me guess... Leica...??

Originally posted by Red Dawn
if these are impt to you, may i introduce u to.....uhmmm nebermind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.