A safe shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkp77

Hi people,

I think this is my 5th try in doing studio shoot at home....
Still as bad as the other four times... only a few is so so only...

The pose is quite safe in my own opinion, will need to try something more daring in future.
My setup is pretty simple, a simple backdrop (use cloth bought from spotlight), a slave flash to blow the backdrop about 1 to 2stop higher, another flashlight with umbrella infront of the couple, and about 30cm above the eyes.

Should have use some reflectors to fill in some lights from left and right, as well as bottom up. (will remember to do that the next round...)

Please comments...
Cheers,
Francis Tan.

homestudio1.jpg

+evenstar said:
I find that they male is not looking at the camera or is it my eyes??:dunno: :dunno:

Also, try not to crop away the male's hair.

Just my 2¢

Thanks for pointing out on the cropping....
Didn't know it was so noticable.... kekeke...
About the eyes, I'm not so sure... need some more people views....

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

1 tip for u. The guy is darker face skin tone than the girl, and u are using direct flash in front, so I would suggest asking the guy to come forward and the girl to stand behind, that would balance the face tone.

Astin said:
1 tip for u. The guy is darker face skin tone than the girl, and u are using direct flash in front, so I would suggest asking the guy to come forward and the girl to stand behind, that would balance the face tone.

Thanks for the tip...

Will it help if I shift the lights a little more to the right, so that the guy will get more light, and use a reflector to fill in some lights on the girl??

Cos if I ask the guy move forward and the gal backward, then I cannot have this "safe pose"... kekeke...

Just my thoughts... don't know if it works??

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

does she offently smile liddat?

I think I will smile like that with a camera pointing at me.... kekeke
She was alittle tense at that time....

The other problem, is that when she realli smile, her eyes will gone.... hahaha....

Oh, by the way, she is not a model or anything like that, she is just a friend who wanted to do a simple shoot with her husband.

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

NMSS_2 said:
it is just me losing my balance or the picture felt a little slanted?

I'm not sure.... maybe it was me losing balance when taking the shot... kekeke...
Sit tight my friend, put on a seat belt... its a life saver...

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

The husband seems to be looking slightly away from the camera.
I do like the 4x5 film border :)
;)

icarus said:
The husband seems to be looking slightly away from the camera.
I do like the 4x5 film border :)
;)

hahaha... yap... the eyes, haiz, don't know what he is looking at, probably because I'm not a gal...

The 4x5 film border, I downloaded from the net.... let me give you the link...
http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

imho, i tink this is overly safe.... i tink u lack the communication thing tt is v much needed in couple portraits.... tt would have made a major difference btn a shot tt works and one tt doesnt

hope i dun sound too harsh

juz my 2 cts worth..

cheers.

Witness said:
imho, i tink this is overly safe.... i tink u lack the communication thing tt is v much needed in couple portraits.... tt would have made a major difference btn a shot tt works and one tt doesnt

hope i dun sound too harsh

juz my 2 cts worth..

cheers.

Hey, no problem... I'm waiting for such comments...

This was the first few shots taken, and both of them are very stiff...
I was trying very hard to talk them out of their stiffness... but I failed to do so...
At one time, I even ask them to sit down to watch TV... then continue...

But during the outdoor shoot, they are more relax...
Will pose the outdoor shoot after I close this case first...

Cheers,
Francis Tan.

The guy looked pretty relaxed but the gal gave this really "pained" expression that gives me the idea she's in some sort of suffering!

Also for a couple portrait I don't sense the closeness or intimacy between them, apart from their proximity. May as well have been a cut n paste job of 2 separate portraits!

Haha tell them to go look at some of the Neo prints pasted around those machines at shopping centres for ideas. Some of the couples look really lovey dovey... you can almost feel the closeness in their relationship!

Wonder if anyone out there can give me some tips in how you all get the couple to feel relax in a photoshoot...

I know its very difference from shooting professional models... whereby they can get into the mood very quickly...

I know the photographers play a role in getting them into the mood, but I think I failed in that... so would like to listen to some tips from the rest here... is it the place? the music? the people around? or the pose itself??

Cheers,
Francis Tan

Status
Not open for further replies.