A rolling stone gathers no moss?

Sion

I used to change jobs every 3 years because of getting bored of doing same old thing in the same old place with no advancement challenges. The bosses of those small business tend to reserve such opportunities for their close relatives.

Of course a change of job then I could get a big jump in pay by negotiating. However with a tighter employment situation now I guess it is a different situation.

So how long have you stay in the present job? Any plan of a move? Are you a quitter or stayer?

So how long have you stay in the present job? Any plan of a move? Are you a quitter or stayer?

On average, I stay with a firm for 4 to 5 years. Entering 2nd year for this job.
Planning to move because of the normal Singaporean kiasu'ism culture here. It's like going to war every day.
Stayer :)

I have been involved into some hiring and I have seen CVs where the longest stay within the same company was 18 months. To be honest, that does not look promising to many employers. What might look like a highly flexible person is also considered as uncommitted, easily attracted and hired away by others. Which company wants to have such a 'butterfly', unless the job is really of a temporary nature? Depending on the job, the policy in our company is to find, hire and keep good staff. Butterflies only rip new holes when leaving, sometimes causing more damage by taking others with them.
Let's not forget: to settle in a new company it needs 3..6 months, depending on the complexity of the job and the company structure / processes. How much experience can one gather during an effective stay of just 1 year and a bit?
I stay, much longer than many locals...

Last edited:
Which company wants to have such a 'butterfly', unless the job is really of a temporary nature?

While I agree with you on many points but we sometimes have to face reality that we cannot avoid butterflies. And there are many other factors which I don't want to go into as it will lead into all sorts of arguments and discussions.

The Finance and IT department in my company has no Singaporeans (a team of 7)
The HR department in my company has 1 Singaporean (a team of 8)
The MD of my company is not a Singaporean (nor is the tea lady).
Perhaps the pay in my company is low or perhaps we just cannot to pay the salaries the local wants.

I have been involved into some hiring and I have seen CVs where the longest stay within the same company was 18 months. To be honest, that does not look promising to many employers. What might look like a highly flexible person is also considered as uncommitted, easily attracted and hired away by others. Which company wants to have such a 'butterfly', unless the job is really of a temporary nature? Depending on the job, the policy in our company is to find, hire and keep good staff. Butterflies only rip new holes when leaving, sometimes causing more damage by taking others with them.
Let's not forget: to settle in a new company it needs 3..6 months, depending on the complexity of the job and the company structure / processes. How much experience can one gather during an effective stay of just 1 year and a bit?
I stay, much longer than many locals...

This is true. One boss took a look at my resume with my history of employments told me that he prefered to have someone not as good as me but a loyal employee.

I wasn't sorry about missing the job as it was quite a long walk from the station. It's okay to do it for a week but not 3 years. :)

While I agree with you on many points but we sometimes have to face reality that we cannot avoid butterflies. And there are many other factors which I don't want to go into as it will lead into all sorts of arguments and discussions.

The Finance and IT department in my company has no Singaporeans (a team of 7)
The HR department in my company has 1 Singaporean (a team of 8)
The MD of my company is not a Singaporean (nor is the tea lady).
Perhaps the pay in my company is low or perhaps we just cannot to pay the salaries the local wants.

Sometimes we can't help noticing the best talents move around a bit but the non-performers or average workers tend to stay behind for many long years.

I had one English friend who didn't only move around companies but he moved around countries. First he worked in a company in UK, then he went to work in New Zealand and then Australia. After that he went to usa then moved to work in Canada. It was there that I lost touch with him.

Last edited:
Sometimes we can't help noticing the best talents move around a bit but the non-performers or average workers tend to stay behind for many long years.

I had one English friend who didn't only move around companies but he moved around countries. First he worked in a company in UK, then he went to work in New Zealand and then Australia. After that he went to usa then moved to work in Canada. It was there that I lost touch with him.

Sound like he is trying to get away from you :bsmilie:

There are various reasons why people move or why people stay. Yes, assuming they are good, they can get better pay with each jump, but for how long can they jump? They can't still be jumping when they hit 40s or 50s? *and I don't mean the physical jumping :cool: *

Likewise, some who says don't like to take risks because in a new job, there is so many uncertainty. New colleagues, new boss, new environment and who knows what else. I have friends that still is staying in the same job since graduation!! These are the long service award winners. But yes, there are people who stays because they are not good enough to jump. Why take risk for some extra higher pay and an unsecured job when your current job is secured?

But yes, there are people who stays because they are not good enough to jump. Why take risk for some extra higher pay and an unsecured job when your current job is secured?
I wouldn't always say 'not good enough to jump' but it's simply that these people are just satisfied with their job and they have other priorities in life than to jump around for a few bucks more and the added competition in the other office. Let's not forget: people leaving or staying in a company largely depends on the people / managers they work for. The job itself (scope, routine) is a minor factor.

I was working for my previous company for 5+ years. Not much pay increase over the years, but luckily my boss is a good guy and we had work-life balance. I think its partly because the co is a western co.
A friend who manage an IT co also share that his co have a high turnover and considering to open a foreign subsidiary somewhere.

Would company sack me if I'm performing below average? Would I move on when the company is giving benefit below market average?

If I don't do my work, there are others who would jump at my post. Should be same if the company don't treat me well, there are other company who want to poach me with better treatment.

Key to long term relationship is respect each other.

Last edited:
If you are thinking loyalty pays, you are very wrong. Most times, staff that stays the longest loose out. Outstanding get 10% pay rise but they cannot give the outstanding award to you every year. Even it is 3 years in a row, any new staff probably will get 20% or more without doing anything.

My last job was 21 years and when company decides to restructure, you will be squash in between all the elephants. Many carpet grass die almost immediately. Lucky for me, I am cow grass and stay on to fight. It was a very tough battle. When things are doing fine, it is the new blood and if things aren't well, the old guard didn't provide the support since they are there so long. New management has to justify their worth and there is no way he/she is going to give you that credit.

I also don't agree that you should job hop just for the few dollars. Always ask if you have contributed more than what you received. Whether you are a rolling stone or not, end of the day is your ability and adaptation. If you are doing the same thing for more than 3 years, it is time to start thinking.

If you are doing the same thing for more than 3 years, it is time to start thinking.

Change is the word. But not many people are resourceful, adaptable and courageous enough to effect change themselves. They are being swept away by technological changes.

I saw with my own eyes they are often the most dedicated, hard-woking and best talents in my trade. But being so successful that they hung on too long. When the tide came they were too late as it took time to make the change.

Reactions: hanzohattori
If you are doing the same thing for more than 3 years, it is time to start thinking.
Well, show me a company where people really do the same thing for more than 3 years. Security guards? Cooks? Finance Admin?
In many other companies things are changing latest after 2 years. According title I do my job now for 8 years, but looking at organizational structure and scope of work then I hardly managed two years of the same way before the next changes kicked in. In some companies and organizations you can't grow moss.