A Riddle For You - Post answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by amethyst
Einstein wrote the following riddle. He said that 98% of the world could not solve it. But several NIEHS scientists were able to solve it, and they said its not all that hard if you pay attention and are very patient. Give it a try:

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors in a row. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage. Other facts:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the immediate left of the white house.
5. The green house`s owner drinks coffee.
6. The owner who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The owner living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The owner who keeps the horse lives next to the one who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The owner who smokes Blends lives next to the one who drinks water.

The question is : WHO OWNS THE FISH?

I think it is the German who smokes prince and drinks coffee who owns the fish?

edit.. forgot to add he lives in the green house

Originally posted by ST1100
This is my all time favourite puzzle; i still remember it after a few years, though i cannot remember where i first read it.

Three men were sentence to death. The king, however, decided to give them a chance. They were told that on their foreheads would be painted a spot of paint, which would be either blue or yellow. They will be able to see the paint on the other two, but not on themselves. The first person to determine the colour of the paint on his own forehead AND give a satisfactory answer would go free.

The king put a spot of yellow paint on all three foreheads. After a while, one of them confidently said his paint was yellow, and explained why. He was set free.

What was his explanation?

(Note: this is a logic question, not a 'trick' one)

Edit: sorry, left out one part: the king told them there was at least one yellow dot among the three of them.

cuz if he was a blue, the someone would have answered that he is a yellow (cuz at least one yellow).
but because he is a yellow, there was no answer from the other 2 as they weren't sure if they would be a blue...

(

When do you start on red and stop on green?

mind is going crazy with these mind boggling games but i'm enjoying it..

on icq? hahhaa

Originally posted by Quacks
mind is going crazy with these mind boggling games but i'm enjoying it..

on icq? hahhaa

haha mine 2! :rolleyes:

nono.. i meant on icq..
u start on red but end the icq session on green.. hahahah!!!
oops.. must be wrong answer..

nono.. i meant on icq..
u start on red but end the icq session on green.. hahahah!!!
oops.. must be wrong answer..

LOL! miscommunication!

de ans of coz is WRONG! :D

When do you start on red and stop on green?

ah i know..
hahaa..

nonsense answer yar..

u start puking when u are red from too much drinking
and stop puking when u turn green???
gosh. i'm losing it... will post again if no one answers later tonight..

seeya... aquarian.. :D

nope... ok.. let me rephrase...

why are manholes and its cover designed to be round not square?

Because if you design it to be square. when you face the cover diagonally, it can drop through the square hole. However when it's round, all sides are equal you can't drop the cover through the hole. :)

ah i know..
hahaa..

nonsense answer yar..

u start puking when u are red from too much drinking
and stop puking when u turn green???
gosh. i'm losing it... will post again if no one answers later tonight..

seeya... aquarian.. :D

i dunno... braking? :D

A king employed 10 goldsmith to make gold chains for him.

Each goldsmith is given 10 kg of gold in which he must turn into 10 gold chain each 1 kg in mass.

One of the goldsmith decided to cheat on the king. Instead of making ten 1 kg mass chains, he made ten 990g chains.

The king got wind of this and brought along a weighing machine when all the goldsmiths were supposed to gather to hand over their gold chains.

He only use the weighing machine once and was able to identify which goldsmith cheated on him. How?;)

Originally posted by bearycute
A king employed 10 goldsmith to make gold chains for him.

Each goldsmith is given 10 kg of gold in which he must turn into 10 gold chain each 1 kg in mass.

One of the goldsmith decided to cheat on the king. Instead of making ten 1 kg mass chains, he made ten 990g chains.

The king got wind of this and brought along a weighing machine when all the goldsmiths were supposed to gather to hand over their gold chains.

He only use the weighing machine once and was able to identify which goldsmith cheated on him. How?;)

He numbered the goldsmiths 1 to 10. He took 1 chain from goldsmith 1, 2 chains from gs 2, 3 from 3, 4 from 4 and so on.

The discrepency in wieght identified the guilty goldsmith; eg if 70g were missing, it was the 7th goldsmith.

Three men were sentence to death. The king, however, decided to give them a chance. They were told that on their foreheads would be painted a spot of paint, which would be either blue or yellow. They will be able to see the paint on the other two, but not on themselves. The first person to determine the colour of the paint on his own forehead AND give a satisfactory answer would go free.

The king put a spot of yellow paint on all three foreheads. After a while, one of them confidently said his paint was yellow, and explained why. He was set free.

What was his explanation?

Edit: sorry, left out one part: the king told them there was at least one yellow dot among the three of them.

Don't kill me if you don't like/agree with the answer, ok?

Let's name the three convicts X, Yand Z with X being the one who got it right.

X would think:

"Let's say my dot was blue. Then what would Y see? Y would see one blue dot (from me, X) and one yellow dot (from Z). In that case, what would Y think?

(Note: this is still X thinking to himself: )
Y would think: 'If my dot was blue, Z would see two blue dots, and IMMEDIATELY know his own dot was yellow. Since Z did not say anything, my dot cannot be blue - it must be yellow!' - and Y would speak up.

(Note: this is STILL X thinking to himself: )
But since Y did not speak up, my original premise (my dot is blue) must be wrong. Therefore my dot is yellow."

--- EOS (end of solution) -----

There are a few flaws in the logic/situation actually, but nevertheless, i think the solution is really elegant.

He numbered the goldsmiths 1 to 10. He took 1 chain from goldsmith 1, 2 chains from gs 2, 3 from 3, 4 from 4 and so on.

The discrepency in wieght identified the guilty goldsmith; eg if 70g were missing, it was the 7th goldsmith.

You r good man!!:)

In an enclosed room with only one door(no windows wad so ever), there lies three bulbs. On the outside of the room, there r 3 switches, each controlling one bulb. you r outside the room now and can only go into the room once. How can u determine which switch correspond to which bulb?

Originally posted by bearycute
You r good man!!:)

In an enclosed room with only one door(no windows wad so ever), there lies three bulbs. On the outside of the room, there r 3 switches, each controlling one bulb. you r outside the room now and can only go into the room once. How can u determine which switch correspond to which bulb?

turn on the first switch, wait for 5-10 mins, then switch it off. then turn on second switch, go to the room. the bulb that is lighted is connected to the second switch. Touch the other two bulbs, the one that is warm is connected to the first switch. :D

hey.. we've gone thru that question and answer before!! hhaha!!
take some time and kill some brain cells doing the questions.. some quite funny, others quite tricky but fun overall.. enjoy

Originally posted by RuthBaby
She is born in the open space, she do not have any home. But she becomes the queen when she enters the house!

Who's she?!

this.. i'm stumped... anyone knows this?

Status
Not open for further replies.