A Reminder Not to Waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terence

Nov 16, 2003
I'm a Llama!
I got these from a forwarded email. Count your blessings and give a thought to others in need. The last one is particularly disturbing.

27946719.jpg

27946720.jpg

27946721.jpg

original.jpg

Sad to say, these types of pics usually get the most attention.
But an excellent pic of a boy enjoying himself on a merry-go-round usually does not.

Thanks for sharing Terence. After looking at the pics, I sit and think how lucky I am and that I should be thankful for what I already have.

Terence said:
I got these from a forwarded email. Count your blessings and give a thought to others in need. The last one is particularly disturbing.

original.jpg

so qiao. i gave a presentation on photojournalism and used this photo
This picture is NOT taken in 1994.
He chased away the vulture after he had taken the photo.

Picture taken in 1993, Sudan, South Africa.
Photo published in March 1993 by New York Times.
Received Pulitzer award for photography in 1994.
Committed suicide 2 months after he received the award.

*do a search in CS and u will find a debate on this issue sometime back. found those threads half a year ago when researching for my presentation

zodnm said:

*do a search in CS and u will find a debate on this issue sometime back. found those threads half a year ago when researching for my presentation

Check out reply #2, it straightens the facts out.

Its amazing what photos can do.

I have seen this photo before, but only realised now the equally depressing story surrrounding it.

:bigeyes: Very powerful and moving photos, especially the last one of the vulture and the child, I feel depressed too just by looking at it. :(

Such is the power of a photograph...transcends the boundaries of time, language and culture and speaks volumes where mere words could not do the same thing...

Here I am, complaining my pay is low, boss treats me like ****, complain that complain this. Sigh.. reality.

sometimes, I wonder if my problems can ever be compared to people of worse plight that us.

All lot of us have good things going for us, and will start complaining the moment something goes off track for what is intended.

this picture made me feel sorry for the girl, but even more sorry for myself, being selffish, not contented with what i have, and unable to appreciate little things around me.

:bheart:

Everyday, do at least one thing that would make another happy, no matter how small.

Try this, to be less self-focused and remind ourselves that our problems are minute, compared to bigger problems in the world. Cheers, and thanks for sharing the story.

Terence said:
Check out reply #2, it straightens the facts out.

yes, i did that half a year ago

Yet the photograph that epitomized Sudan's famine would win Kevin Carter fame - and hopes for anchoring a career spent hounding the news, free-lancing in war zones, waiting anxiously for assignments amid dire finances, staying in the line of fire for that one great picture. On May 23, 14 months after capturing that memorable scene, Carter walked up to the dais in the classical rotunda of Columbia University's Low Memorial Library and received the Pulitzer Prize for feature photography. The South African soaked up the attention. "I swear I got the most applause of anybody,"

the award was given in the year 1994. do some calculation

There would be little time for that. Two months after receiving his Pulitzer, Carter would be dead of carbon-monoxide poisoning in Johannesburg, a suicide at 33.

again, do some calculations

-source article from the link you given-

zodnm said:
yes, i did that half a year ago

Yet the photograph that epitomized Sudan's famine would win Kevin Carter fame - and hopes for anchoring a career spent hounding the news, free-lancing in war zones, waiting anxiously for assignments amid dire finances, staying in the line of fire for that one great picture. On May 23, 14 months after capturing that memorable scene, Carter walked up to the dais in the classical rotunda of Columbia University's Low Memorial Library and received the Pulitzer Prize for feature photography. The South African soaked up the attention. "I swear I got the most applause of anybody,"

the award was given in the year 1994. do some calculation

There would be little time for that. Two months after receiving his Pulitzer, Carter would be dead of carbon-monoxide poisoning in Johannesburg, a suicide at 33.

again, do some calculations

-source article from the link you given-

I didn't write the captions which were included with the last graphic. It was already part of it when I received the email. And yes, there are some discrepancies between the dates listed in the article and the caption. That's why I posted the the link to the article.

Hey dun quibble lah. Just when u guys are saying there are far larger problems in the world, why get so worked up & pedantic?

You can't feel what they feel until you ARE them. So stop feeling sorry for them. There are more well off people I feel sorry for, of their deeds or rather misdeeds than children in famine stricken places. The latter fight to survive, the former survive to fight/kill.

:sweat: :sweat: I'm speech less and deeply disturbed but both the images and the story.

zodnm said:

Sounds like a bit of a troll, if you ask me, inappropriate given the context and subject matter of the original posting.

Agree with lavendarlilz, no need to get pedantic - because if we did, it could be pointed out that Sudan is not in South Africa, nor is it even in Southern Africa, if that was what was meant. But that's just being trivial...

Minoxman said:
You can't feel what they feel until you ARE them. So stop feeling sorry for them. There are more well off people I feel sorry for, of their deeds or rather misdeeds than children in famine stricken places. The latter fight to survive, the former survive to fight/kill.

Ok, you got me... I'm thorughly confused... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.