A Rare Nikkor for Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, after mucking around the URL removing what looks like spurious characters (how the hell did a <br /> get in there? and a space (%20) too... ), finally got it. Can't seem to paste that long URL properly back into the mail, so ....

remove the %20 near the start of the URL, and remove the <br /> somewhere near the end. That should work.

Regards
CK

WAAAAAAH! 300mm f/2!!! With the TC-14C!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am curious, as the picture is not available on the website.

The f-number is the ratio between the focal length and the aperture diameter. 300mm f/2 means that the aperture diameter is 150mm. That means that the outer diameter of the lens should be at least 170mm. That must be a real monster to carry around!

- Roy

There's a pic of it in Ian's avatar. :D

Hi,

Nikkor AIS 300mm f/2 ED-IF

nf30023.jpg

Humongous. :D

Read about it here

Regards
CK

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi,

I am curious, as the picture is not available on the website.

The f-number is the ratio between the focal length and the aperture diameter. 300mm f/2 means that the aperture diameter is 150mm. That means that the outer diameter of the lens should be at least 170mm. That must be a real monster to carry around!

- Roy

Hi Roy,

Front element is 160mm and is in keeping with several other Nikkor Super Teles an optical flat.

As for weight the damn thing is a BEAST to lug around as it weighs in at a petite 7.1 kg which by way of contrast is a damn sight heavier than the 600/4 AFS at 5.9kg or the AFS-II at 4.85kg.

My TC-14C produces slight colour abberations around the fringes of the image, a problem that's been documented by other users of this lens, however the use of a TC-301 cures the problem though the image is a bit softer in the center than with the 14C

Originally posted by Ian

Hi Roy,

Front element is 160mm and is in keeping with several other Nikkor Super Teles an optical flat.

As for weight the damn thing is a BEAST to lug around as it weighs in at a petite 7.1 kg which by way of contrast is a damn sight heavier than the 600/4 AFS at 5.9kg or the AFS-II at 4.85kg.

My TC-14C produces slight colour abberations around the fringes of the image, a problem that's been documented by other users of this lens, however the use of a TC-301 cures the problem though the image is a bit softer in the center than with the 14C

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. I remember the weight of an M16 rifle is around 7kg...

So, using this lens with the TC-14C gives an equivalent 420mm focal length (300X1.4)? What is the equilent f number then, 420/150 = f2.8?

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. I remember the weight of an M16 rifle is around 7kg...

- Roy

Fully loaded it would be as from memory the weight without ammo is around 3.5 to 4 kg.

You're correct on the aperture and focal lenght.

Though with a TC-301 attached the 300/2 is sharper than any of Nikon's 600mm primes.

Originally posted by extreme2
Adorama camera USA is auctioning the NIKON 300mm "F2" NIKKOR *ED

To view the pictures click on the links:

Gonna buy it? I can personally attest that they are the best 300 ever made.

Images from mine blow the doors off my 300/2.8.

has anyone been to the b&h photo store at New York personally?

Originally posted by Ian
7.1 KILOS?!?!? fwah!!! that's not just a beast, that's a dam Gozilla! you don't need a tripod, you need a foxhold, GMPG mount and someone with arms like Arnold. :D

Originally posted by firefox13
7.1 KILOS?!?!? fwah!!! that's not just a beast, that's a dam Gozilla! you don't need a tripod, you need a foxhold, GMPG mount and someone with arms like Arnold. :D

Well it's a tad heavier than the 300/2.8 AF range which are between 2.7 and 3.1kg. Hand holding a 300/2 is not a lot of fun but it can be done.

Originally posted by chaotic
has anyone been to the b&h photo store at New York personally?

its a fascinating place. You go to the relevant product display area, choose the items you want to buy, they key it in, and the stock is sent by 'conveyor belt' (actually conveyor 'basket').... I think Singapore is cheaper but I picked up some parts not available in singapore.

Status
Not open for further replies.