A quiet afternoon

Redgefling

Mar 22, 2011
I would like some feedback/critique on the composition and the overall presentation of this photo.

This caught my eye and I wanted to capture the quite time of the young couple with the elements in the scene just framing the entire moment; i.e., the lamp posts, the line of bollards and tables, the side of the bar's structure, the trees and the river in the background.

I took this picture towards the end of an afternoon stroll in CQ area. And I had to patiently wait for a group of smiling tourists to finish taking their snaps as they were in my direct line of sight for this shot. After 10minutes, I was about to give up when their tour leader called them away. I tried the shot with a few exposure settings but this one seems to be the best one in my opinion. I just wish that I could produce a softer focus for the far side of the river. No post processing was done save for a bit of cropping to complement the composition.

From my perspective, I think the mood and feeling of the photo comes out in a way that calls the viewer to be there without having it announced loudly... it is just a quiet afternoon after all.

CQ0015.jpg

Last edited:
The 3 lamp posts and all surrounding verticals are too strong and takes most attention away. Your real subjects are low and small to the corner of the frame. The man wearing a black tee just fades into the clutter. Everything's evenly lit without any clear emphasis. A matter of losing sight of the main subject?

Personal impressions, our Singapore River this far up Clarke Quay is never busy other than the occasional coasting bum boat. The river is indeed and already quiet due to the lack of water activities. At the opposite bank, it seems a lot more lively or at least there's more foot traffic. Business at this bank is just slow or not time for the evening crowd. To me it's really more a boring afternoon than quiet. The sky was probably overcast too. Blegh what a lousy day to be out shooting.

There are too many things in the image, what if u crop away the top until the far bank wall.

the 3 lamp post is very "strong", dividing the image into sections.

The tables & chairs in the foreground doesnt add to the image.

The sliver edges right on the lady's head doesnt help too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs.
I realize more now after these comments and taking another look at the photo.

may i suggest u try a old school method? cut a rectangle hole in a cardboard (1x 2/3, 1x m43 ratio, not sure what camera u using). look through the hole when composing. dont rush into taking photos. relax, take it slow & easy. :)

Perhaps a closer shot and slight change of where you were standing could help. As mentioned by previous posters, the lamp post and the object partially blocking the lady's head took away the attention.

I agree, a closer shot will be better :)