a quickie guide to using SB800

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootnshoot

Apr 27, 2008
Got a brand new SB800 flash for my office's Nikon D70 through the recommendation from here. Thought it is idiot-proof with minimal setting but the first few virgin shot at night were all underexposed (histogram are at the extreme left).

After consulting the manual which is of not help, I did some googling. There are some recommendations for general indoor shooting is to set the D70 to manual with shutter speed at 1/125s, aperture at f 4.5/5.6 and ISO400. The SB800 setting is TTL. Test shots improved but I think can be better.

So, any kind bro n sis here who have experienced with SB800 can recommend or can provide a quickie general guide for indoor shooting (i.e. in a seminar room or disco)? For your info, the lens used is a Nikon ED AF Nikkor 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G.

Thanks in advance for any kind response.:)

Got a brand new SB800 flash for my office's Nikon D70 through the recommendation from here. Thought it is idiot-proof with minimal setting but the first few virgin shot at night were all underexposed (histogram are at the extreme left).

After consulting the manual which is of not help, I did some googling. There are some recommendations for general indoor shooting is to set the D70 to manual with shutter speed at 1/125s, aperture at f 4.5/5.6 and ISO400. The SB800 setting is TTL. Test shots improved but I think can be better.

So, any kind bro n sis here who have experienced with SB800 can recommend or can provide a quickie general guide for indoor shooting (i.e. in a seminar room or disco)? For your info, the lens used is a Nikon ED AF Nikkor 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G.

Thanks in advance for any kind response.:)

Drop shutter speed to lowest of 1/60, set ISO speed up to 400 or 800. Open aperture up to about f4 or f5.6 and shoot with iTTL.

And then try it out.

If you wish to have a better exposure for the BG, then you may have to drop the shutter speed further down to 1/30 or 1/15 and use higher ISO and the largest aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.