A question for sports and event photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooky3659

Mar 11, 2009
Singapore
What do usually do when individuals approach you asking for your photos of them? Would you willingly give a few for free or would you expect them to pay for it, assuming you still have the copyrights as agreed with your client? All opinions and ideas are welcomed. Thanks :)

What do usually do when individuals approach you asking for your photos of them? Would you willingly give a few for free or would you expect them to pay for it, assuming you still have the copyrights as agreed with your client? All opinions and ideas are welcomed. Thanks :)

this question belong to The Photo Biz

if is in Sg, do you have an agreement with your clients says you own the copyrights in the first place?

and if you do own the copyrights, why should you give photos away for free?

but if you do not own the copyrights, how can you give photos away which does not belong to you?

Sports and events shots I usually refer them to the client if it is for personal purpose but if it is for commericial purpose and I have the copyrights to it, I'll sell it to them.

Sports and events shots I usually refer them to the client if it is for personal purpose but if it is for commericial purpose and I have the copyrights to it, I'll sell it to them.
I asked the question as I felt that asking for payment over a few photos which was going to be used personally by the individual would come as a shock to ordinary people. (almost like your friend asking you to share a few photos from the bbq party) But on the other hand by giving the photos away it would be undermining yourself (assuming you had charged a client and still retained the copyright).

this question belong to The Photo Biz

if is in Sg, do you have an agreement with your clients says you own the copyrights in the first place?

and if you do own the copyrights, why should you give photos away for free?

but if you do not own the copyrights, how can you give photos away which does not belong to you?
A clause which states that the photographer retains the copyright, would you recommend it to be within a document which states out all the expected roles and deliverables of the pg and client, which then must be signed by the client? Or would it be better to send all the t&c along with job estimate, not requiring a signature?

A clause which states that the photographer retains the copyright, would you recommend it to be within a document which states out all the expected roles and deliverables of the pg and client, which then must be signed by the client? Or would it be better to send all the t&c along with job estimate, not requiring a signature?
Read post #7, Photo Editing + Event Rights

I asked the question as I felt that asking for payment over a few photos which was going to be used personally by the individual would come as a shock to ordinary people. (almost like your friend asking you to share a few photos from the bbq party) But on the other hand by giving the photos away it would be undermining yourself (assuming you had charged a client and still retained the copyright).
It is nothing wrong if you want to give your images away for free, but you have all the rights to ask to be paid if anyone want to have your images.

[vid]mj5IV23g-fE[/vid]

for in your case here, you have to sort it out who owns the images first.

Thanks catchlights for the info and advice, I now have info to start off with :)

It is nothing wrong if you want to give your images away for free, but you have all the rights to ask to be paid if anyone want to have your images.

for in your case here, you have to sort it out who owns the images first.

in my experience.

depends why you are there in the first place. were you invited or is it a open event and what kind of image is the person asking for?

For invited events, i refer them to the person in charge since already agreed upon how much i would get per photo sold. For open events, really depends on the shot. If its a candid photo of the person then i dont mind giving free by email but let`s say its a unique shot that chances are a majority of people missed, then can charge accordingly.

Hello Reportage, hope you dont mind answering this question. If for example u had taken a photo of my son during a soocer match and i wanted to get the photo for personal use, how much would you charge me for it? Assuming you had owned the copyrights and would want to charge me for it? Would like to have a rough guage of your pricing towards private use.

in my experience.

depends why you are there in the first place. were you invited or is it a open event and what kind of image is the person asking for?

For invited events, i refer them to the person in charge since already agreed upon how much i would get per photo sold. For open events, really depends on the shot. If its a candid photo of the person then i dont mind giving free by email but let`s say its a unique shot that chances are a majority of people missed, then can charge accordingly.

Hello Reportage, hope you dont mind answering this question. If for example u had taken a photo of my son during a soocer match and i wanted to get the photo for personal use, how much would you charge me for it? Assuming you had owned the copyrights and would want to charge me for it? Would like to have a rough guage of your pricing towards private use.
in that scenario, i would just email you the photo that you want if its simply a school sports event. For high profile events like let`s say your son scored the gold medal in the SEA Games and you happened to like my photo, you need to talk to the organizer if i am the official photographer as chances are that publications might be interested also. If i was there as freelance, there really isnt any set rule as to how much to charge for the photos.

if i was freelancing, i would give it to you free.

if i was hired by organiser, rule of thumb is i will ask you to check with the organiser for the picture. i wouldn't want to be responsible for pictures of the event to be posted unofficially i.e. before the organiser releases it officially or posted other than the organiser's official website.

I've always taken the shots and then told the individuals to contact the client for copies. The client then puts the individuals in contact with me and I sell them the shots at normal rates. Simple clean and totally legal.

in that scenario, i would just email you the photo that you want if its simply a school sports event. For high profile events like let`s say your son scored the gold medal in the SEA Games and you happened to like my photo, you need to talk to the organizer if i am the official photographer as chances are that publications might be interested also. If i was there as freelance, there really isnt any set rule as to how much to charge for the photos.
Thanks for your reply, because I have given away photos for personal use before but was wondering if it was detrimental to my position as a freelance pg.

if i was freelancing, i would give it to you free.
if i was hired by organiser, rule of thumb is i will ask you to check with the organiser for the picture. i wouldn't want to be responsible for pictures of the event to be posted unofficially i.e. before the organiser releases it officially or posted other than the organiser's official website.

I've always taken the shots and then told the individuals to contact the client for copies. The client then puts the individuals in contact with me and I sell them the shots at normal rates. Simple clean and totally legal.

Thank you Pokiemon and Ian for sharing. I am still trying to get hired for my very first sport event and both your insights are useful tip if i was ever approached for photographs as a hired pg.

Status
Not open for further replies.