a question about dry cabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortichro

Jun 12, 2008
Singapore
fazrinaffendi.tumblr.com
I just bought a dry cab (Digi-cab DB-036) and well im alittle confuse here.

Can anyone tell me whats the best temperature to set for my camera + lens? or anyone who has the same dry cab as i do can help me out alittle.. thanks.

It is the humidity, not the temperature. :bsmilie:
There is a reading on humidity and temperature. Read the one with %.
Remember to switch on the power.
Set it to around 40-50% should be fine.
There is a knob inside for you to turn. You can read the manual which way to turn to reduce the humidity. Before you put your equipment. Wait for about half a day to let it stabilised and see the readings. Once it reaches around 40-50% put in your equipment. Do not adjust it yet. Because when you open the door, the readings will increase. Wait another half day and see. If the readings is too low or too high, adjust a bit and wait and see. Slightly below 40% is ok.

It is the humidity, not the temperature. :bsmilie:
There is a reading on humidity and temperature. Read the one with %.
Remember to switch on the power.
Set it to around 40-50% should be fine.
There is a knob inside for you to turn. You can read the manual which way to turn to reduce the humidity. Before you put your equipment. Wait for about half a day to let it stabilised and see the readings. Once it reaches around 40-50% put in your equipment. Do not adjust it yet. Because when you open the door, the readings will increase. Wait another half day and see. If the readings is too low or too high, adjust a bit and wait and see. Slightly below 40% is ok.

its been like 7 hrs and im still waiting for the RH to go down to 50% and i followed the instructions.. any faults or did i do something wrong?

It stuck at certain reading (xx%) or it keep reducing?
if it keep reducing, then wait.. Cause it will take quite long to bring down the humidity.
If it stop there, then try to adjust knob again (refer to the manual).

door not closed ;p

haha... just kidding, i'm curious myself why it hasn't gone down. Loose rubber seams?

Or could it be power switch is off? Can you see a red led below the knob lighted up?

its been like 7 hrs and im still waiting for the RH to go down to 50% and i followed the instructions.. any faults or did i do something wrong?

Where is the reading now? Where was it when you plugged in the power cord? If it doesn't go down further then turn the knob. AFAIK, the knob has a green, blue and red marking. Towards red means lower humidity. You need a bit patience although after a few hours an empty cabinet should reach the target. But first time will take longer. Remember that all the foam material inside needs to dry first.

Try to turn the knob to the lowest and titrate slowly from there.
My new cabis took some time to equilibrate as well.

Ryan

Where is the reading now? Where was it when you plugged in the power cord? If it doesn't go down further then turn the knob. AFAIK, the knob has a green, blue and red marking. Towards red means lower humidity. You need a bit patience although after a few hours an empty cabinet should reach the target. But first time will take longer. Remember that all the foam material inside needs to dry first.

ived put it at the low blue before i go to work but when i get back its still 70%. Everything is switched on and plugged. the temperature still remained as 28degrees. Or do i turn it to red?

ived put it at the low blue before i go to work but when i get back its still 70%. Everything is switched on and plugged. the temperature still remained as 28degrees. Or do i turn it to red?

The knob on my AD-100 is between blue and green and gives RH of about 45%-50%. Turning towards red will increase dehumidifying, thus resulting in dryer air inside. Different sizes of cabinet will have different settings. Don't go below 40%, 40%-50% is recommended. But no need to panic when you check in morning and it's 38%. Adjust the knob a bit, open the door once and check again in evening. It needs a bit to find the right setting.

Set it to the middle 1st...and after that once it stabilize, tune it a bit to the left. It should be ard 11 o' clock position. Always turn it bit by bit to get the humidity that you want. Cause a huge turn can cause the reading to jump a lot.

lol thanks guys i finally got the settings rite

Hi TS, how long did u waited before the setting was rite..? I bought the same cabinet on thurs but its still at 65% when i left my house today.

hi i just got the db 036 too. err if u want he dry cabi to stabilize fast just turn the knob to the center in the blue region and wait. i found that when my aircon is on, the dry RH% drops much faster too so u might wanna try switching on your ac to speed things up. it took like 3-4 hrs for mine to drop from 60+ to 36% than after that just chuck your equipment in and wait again. mine went up to 40+ than went back to 36 so i turned it anti-clockwise a little bit( about 11 o'clock) now its at 39-40. a tad bit too low.. need to adjust

As long your point is in between the blue and green or alittle bit above green is ok. Then leave it there for a few days and make sure the reading got change after that around 2 days the reading stay there then u can start to put your things in it. The humidity will be around 40% - 55%.

Hi all

need some advice. I'm planning to get a Portable dry box to store my 40D plus kit lens, planning to get a 17-200 lens in future.

Can advice what brand of portable dry box, how big of a size. My budget is around 100+. I saw some in cathay photo, didn't really go and ask the details. would that be a right place to get a dry box, i saw some forum saying carrefour is selling too.

please advice

Hi all

need some advice. I'm planning to get a Portable dry box to store my 40D plus kit lens, planning to get a 17-200 lens in future.

Can advice what brand of portable dry box, how big of a size. My budget is around 100+. I saw some in cathay photo, didn't really go and ask the details. would that be a right place to get a dry box, i saw some forum saying carrefour is selling too.

please advice

Bro,

I assume that you refering to dry box/cabinet. Yup carrefour is selling at around $109 and if not wrong they still provide delivery to your place. if your budget is aounrd $100 then get the 30L dry box. The price range for every shop is around $100 - $110. You also can check out this website call digihub. You can ask them to quote you. That is the market price and i think shop will not sell you more than they quote you. If you get from digihub i think they will provide delivery too.

Hi all

The Dry Cabinet is what they sell in Carrefour and many other shops for 100+. It has a volume of 30l, comes with one movable shelf and is enough to store your cam and lens. It's powered by electricity (very low consumption) and I don't think it's meant to be carried around ;)
The portable one is a Dry Box. It comes with a hygrometer in the lid and needs Silica gel packages to achieve the lower humidity. You can get it from nearly all Photo Shops. Price should be far below 100 bucks. Search the forum for "dry box" and you should find older threads with prices. For the various models and sizes you can check the website of Digihub.

Is it using manual reading (not LCD-digital reading)?
If yes, do you think this reading is accurate?

Because of this so I bought %RH & temperature gauge (digital) to read
than I take "mean" reading between my two readings of %RH...

AHa.. now more accurate ;)
I prefer to get (40~45)%RH

The Dry Cabinet is what they sell in Carrefour and many other shops for 100+. It has a volume of 30l, comes with one movable shelf and is enough to store your cam and lens. It's powered by electricity (very low consumption) and I don't think it's meant to be carried around ;)
The portable one is a Dry Box. It comes with a hygrometer in the lid and needs Silica gel packages to achieve the lower humidity. You can get it from nearly all Photo Shops. Price should be far below 100 bucks. Search the forum for "dry box" and you should find older threads with prices. For the various models and sizes you can check the website of Digihub.

The reading on the drybox not very accurate of course. When use finger to tap on the gauge, reading can go plus minus 2% RH. ;)

TS - sorry, borrow your thread here. I got a question on drybox. My RH reading has gone above 55%, but the silica gels still blue color leh. Do I send the pack to the microwave? Or time to change the silica? or add more, for additional sucking power? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.