A Qns for BlackRapid Users...

Ferderico

Mar 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi everyone,

i have been watching the reviews for the Blackrapid RS 7.... and i am almost fixed on buying it.

just a qns, does the strap obstruct your view when you tilt it to portrait shooting? (as in tilt the camera to vertical).

thanks

No, it does not. I have been using the RS4 since day 1 of my camera, love it!

Once you use it, you will not go back to the neck strap.

sorry to hijack. but i've always been abit unsure of how secure the blackrapid strap is seeing as the entire weight of the camera+lens rests on the tripod socket? :dunno:

it'll be great if it works as advertised though... cause it really facilitates quick access! :thumbsup:

Hi Ferderico,

I'm using the RS4 for quite sometime already & no, it does not obstruct your view in any way. In fact, my view was obstructed when I uses the original neck strap.

Hi stuck,

Personally, I feel the RapidStrap is pretty secure. My heaviest weight on it for now is D3s + 24-70 + SB-900.

sorry to hijack. but i've always been abit unsure of how secure the blackrapid strap is seeing as the entire weight of the camera+lens rests on the tripod socket? :dunno:

it'll be great if it works as advertised though... cause it really facilitates quick access! :thumbsup:

no problem for my D700+ 70-200....very secure, very comfortable...

Hi Antz,

thanks, just the information i need.

cos i usually side sling my camera using the original strap and it obstructs my view whenever i take photos in potrait...

thanks... i will be getting the strap soon...

once you mount the strap on the bottom, can you still have a tripod quick release plate there?
or is it one or the other?

Can anyone enlighten me....

how about using the RS4 on a D90 with a grip. It seems like there are a lot of weak points as the grip is attached to the cam via the tripod lug, and the strap is in turn atttached to the grip...also at the tripod socket on the grip itself. Would there be too much strain on the individual components. Actually I am more worried about the grip giving way.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I found a discussion on flickr and got my answer already. Thanks!

Last edited:
once you mount the strap on the bottom, can you still have a tripod quick release plate there?

One or the other, unless your mounting plate has a mounting screw that is those D-ring type.

One or the other, unless your mounting plate has a mounting screw that is those D-ring type.

Ortega, sabee: We had a discussion in one of the threads on R strap earlier. One of the CS-ers rightfully pointed out that if your tripod plate has a D-ring, the D-ring itself may not be built for the weight of the camera+lens+flash to be hung up-side down from the R-strap Connector (CR-2).
Thus, the best way to overcome this problem, is to buy a tripod plate that has the screw hole in it (e.g. Markins - sorry can't remember the model) and you can just screw the fastener (FR-2) in.
When you want to mount onto the tripod, just unscrew the FR-2 and that's all to do.
That is what I do nowadays.

Hope this helps.

I mount the blackrapid lug on the bottom of my quick release plate, and unscrew the blackrapid lug when I want to use the tripod. A good (but expensive) modification I've seen some others have done on the web is to attach a quick release clamp on the black rapid strap, so you can just use the camera as usual with just the quick release plate attaching the camera to the strap.

Hi Ferderico,

I'm using the RS4 for quite sometime already & no, it does not obstruct your view in any way. In fact, my view was obstructed when I uses the original neck strap.

Hi stuck,

Personally, I feel the RapidStrap is pretty secure. My heaviest weight on it for now is D3s + 24-70 + SB-900.

no problem for my D700+ 70-200....very secure, very comfortable...

thanks guys! more things to buy now... sigh :devil:

my quick released plate actually got a screw hole for the strap connector...

Very secure....screw threads very strong..you can read up on this as I saw info or video somewhere online talking abt how strong your tripod socket is..only worry is the screw being unscrewed....

Can anyone enlighten me....

how about using the RS4 on a D90 with a grip. It seems like there are a lot of weak points as the grip is attached to the cam via the tripod lug, and the strap is in turn atttached to the grip...also at the tripod socket on the grip itself. Would there be too much strain on the individual components. Actually I am more worried about the grip giving way.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I found a discussion on flickr and got my answer already. Thanks!

I agree.....I also fear the knob on the BG unscrewing itself. Perhaps you can share the link to the flickr site?

Ortega, sabee: We had a discussion in one of the threads on R strap earlier. One of the CS-ers rightfully pointed out that if your tripod plate has a D-ring, the D-ring itself may not be built for the weight of the camera+lens+flash to be hung up-side down from the R-strap Connector (CR-2).
Thus, the best way to overcome this problem, is to buy a tripod plate that has the screw hole in it (e.g. Markins - sorry can't remember the model) and you can just screw the fastener (FR-2) in. When you want to mount onto the tripod, just unscrew the FR-2 and that's all to do.
That is what I do nowadays.

Hope this helps.

I did it DIY which only cost a few dollars.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650724

It's very secure and solves 2 of my problems:

1. I no need unscrew/change anything to mount camera onto tripod.
2. I no need worry anything loosening. In my setup, the only way for the camera to drop is if both cables break simultaneously. I've made sure that the length is just right and even if the BG knob unscrews itself the camera will still be held together.

I have sucessfully use my DIY D ring method and has this problem solved.

I modify a D ring mount from hardware store like those for hanging picture. but this one is strong. I tested it using 10kg weight holding it for 1 week before using it on my cam.

just place it like a washer on one of the screw and secure it on the lens plate. It will not block the arca swiss head from clamping it and it has a smaller foot print than the one from BR. You can place your cam properly not like the BR one which make your cam sitting side ways. :angry:

Will post pic soon.

I just use BlackRapid FasternR.... and DIY my own Sling... :bsmilie:

may I know if the R-strap works as well if you're carrying a bag of these two types:

a) backpack

b) shoulder bag

thanks!

may I know if the R-strap works as well if you're carrying a bag of these two types:

a) backpack

b) shoulder bag

thanks!

I try to use with backpack, but not exactly comfortable because the blackrapid strap can easily slide off the bag's strap and if you wear it below... It just feels worse.

But I can live with the slight discomfort of wearing the blackrapid strap above my backpack's strap.

i have actually decided to mod my old strap and still keep my QR plate on my camera

thanks for the clarification