A purchase Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftdragon

May 30, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

Need some advice from some of you here. I currently have a Canon A70 but need to get another camera cos there are a few of us in the family who wants to use it at the same time (i.e. going on holiday etc).

I am prepared to buy a new camera but the real issue is that I can't decide if I should get a dslr or a smaller (as compared to A70) Digital P & S camera.

I have a cheapo EOS 88 with kit lens and also a 75-300 lens (very unutilised), thus I thought of buying the 300D. I am quite into photography and would most likely even go to classes to learn how to take better shots (if I walk down the dslr path)

If I do get another compact digi cam, it will most likely be one of those simple ones with adequate zoom. Nothing too fancy.

Any constructive advice?

get another compact digicam.

you already have an eos 88 and you even have a 75-300 so i believe you should at least know somethings about F-stops and how they perform here and there, like your SLR lenses probably will start (usually for the average consumer) from F3.5 onwards and your digicam lenses start from F2.4...

so just get another compact digicam, save your family members the hassle. if you REALLY want to learn about photography, you don't really need to start with a dSLR... using a digicam can get you a vast knowledge on basic photography techniques... taking better photos ? just use your a70 and practice to improve.

there're no rules to good photos... i don't advocate paying $300 for a course where you're not going to walk out of it feeling satisfied, or you walk out of it feeling satisfied but when you eventually take a photo you feel like you've been cheated of $300...

when i first started i started out with a digicam, despite the fact when i posted here people advocated starting with a film camera. it's more like how you want to train yourself and develop your own style.

all the best to you, i hope i've answered your question adequately.

swiftdragon said:
.. even go to classes to learn how to take better shots (if I walk down the dslr path)

/QUOTE]

I hope you will pardon me for being direct. If you are really interested in photography, you will find ways to learn (classes or otherwise). This has nothing to do with the format of your camera. A DSLR is a great learning tool, but so are regular cameras whether SLR or rangefinder, AS LONG AS THERE IS MANUAL OVER-RIDE. You should decide first if you like photography. If you do, the basics such as how light works etc is exactly the same with an analogue camera and a digital one. Do not fool yourself that you need to go the DSLR way to learn how to be a better photographer.

Opps I think I better clarify myself... before those who read this think that I am thinking of a dslr because I want to learn photography.

When I mentioned that I was willing to go for classes, the message I want to convey was that I am keen to learn more abt photography. Hence, if I purchase a 300D, it won't be lying around in the dry cabinet.

So should i get another camera with more functionalities so that I have more than 1 cam to play ard with or just settle for a P & S camera? Cos to me, the A70 serves both as a P & S cam as well as a learning cam (cos of the manual features)

For those who shared, their thoughts.. thanks.

swiftdragon said:
.. the message I want to convey was that I am keen to learn more abt photography...

sorry for misunderstanding.

For the purpose of LEARNING, you should have a camera who full manual control. Whether digital of analogue is unimportant. With a discipline mind however, I feel that digital can give immediate feedback and you can learn faster. On the other hand, many have looked forwards to the anticipation of whether they have done rightly. As if were the "price" of mistake is higher, forcing one to learn better?

student said:
sorry for misunderstanding.

For the purpose of LEARNING, you should have a camera who full manual control. Whether digital of analogue is unimportant. With a discipline mind however, I feel that digital can give immediate feedback and you can learn faster. On the other hand, many have looked forwards to the anticipation of whether they have done rightly. As if were the "price" of mistake is higher, forcing one to learn better?

You are so right abt learning. I kinda haven't picked up my slr for sometime cos I don't like the hassle of developing the film. The price is also not that cheap (but i'll not dwell on the money issues now)

I guess the only reason a person need to invest in a SLR(or DSLR) is a strong interest in photography. A general definition for strong interest is when you have the urge and drive to explore more about photography and u wanna go deeper into the field.

Ask yourself if the definitation applies to you? If so, go ahead and get a SLR system. As for whether to get a DSLR or use ya current SLR, that's another issue. Anyway once you crossed the barrier of deciding that you don't need another P&S, i believe you would have enough reasons(using DSLR will save you money in the long run if u shoot more, etc..) to convince yourself to get yourself a DSLR instead of using ya present analog one.

Take time to think through but don't hestitate once you know what u want. The longer you hesitate, the more precious moments you're going to miss capturing.

PS: You wanted to buy a 300D too when i bought it. I've since taken abt 1k pics, covered several small events and made several good photography friends(nicholas, vincent, AhFu..etc) from photography outing. That's the opportunity cost that you're paying for hesitating. :devil:

U're right ordinaryless. I have been thinking too long abt a new camera and probably missed some "precious moments". That is why I am going to buy a new camera now cos each time I want to use the cam, I realise that it is being loaned for a holiday (the camera has been to places I haven't even set foot on).

Time to get another cam... that's why I am having a hard time deciding (dslr or compact P & S)

swiftdragon said:
U're right ordinaryless. I have been thinking too long abt a new camera and probably missed some "precious moments". That is why I am going to buy a new camera now cos each time I want to use the cam, I realise that it is being loaned for a holiday (the camera has been to places I haven't even set foot on).

Time to get another cam... that's why I am having a hard time deciding (dslr or compact P & S)

You've mentioned several times that you need a camera whenever you go travelling, are u interested to take pics when you're not travelling? Is the main purpose of buying a new camera soley for travelling? If so, you might want to consider the weight the inconvenience of lugging around a DSLR(assuming u need tripod..etc).

On the other hand, if your interested is learning more about photography whether you're travelling or not, then a DSLR is prob the way to go?

I've said all i can, the decision still lies with you.

All the best! :)

to really learn get a manual film camera ....tt way u got no choice but to learn how to use manual overrides.....tt's how i picked up....then i moved on to film SLR's wif lottsa cool functions and finally DSLR.....only went on when i felt tt i knew enough to move on so tt my learning curve is not restrained by equipment..

since you already have a canon system, then get a better canon system...either slr or dslr...if you are not cool with cost of film processing then a dslr should be for you.

do a pros and cons of buying between SLR and DSLR

and between a dgcam and a slr/dslr.

seriously, this is hugely up to you. but if you are getting an slr, just get a better canon body...if not either get the 300D body only or the whole package for a 300D.

i think rangefinders are out of the list for you :D cos i really recommend rangefinders.

Is the camera(A70) newly bought?

Sometimes, everyone in the family wanna have a go at the new toy, resulting in "one camera not enough" syptom.

You might wanna hold your horses and see if this "demand" substain. ELse, it will be a wasted purchase.

If there's really a need to get another camera, choose a digital one. Maybe get a camera with more manual control. This way, you will have 2 "different" kind of digital cam for different situation. A70 for family snap-shot, more complex camera for other needs i.e. macro.

Status
Not open for further replies.