A pro photographer vs a pro imitator. Who wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphotography

Jan 20, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I was reading the other thread about shooting in groups which brought this topic to my mind.

We know as a photographer we should have our own style. What if, there's this shape shifter who is able to imitate the styles just by looking at the works of the pro?
I'm even sure there's a martial arts name for this kind of skill haha.

Who will be more valuable?

I was reading the other thread about shooting in groups which brought this topic to my mind.

We know as a photographer we should have our own style. What if, there's this shape shifter who is able to imitate the styles just by looking at the works of the pro?

Most people starts off by imitation, then from there develop their own style. Imitation would give for more exposure and allows one to experiment with different styles before finding one or realising one style to suit his or her shooting. Almost everyone in the art scene starts by imitation, and only a few gifted ones have their own style the moment they start.

If one can imitate every singly type of style, i'd say he is more valuable than the actual photographer. why? he can analyze and look beyond the photograph and find out how the shot was taken. it will not take long before he himself becomes a PRO photographer. :think:

there is not much value in originality these days , when you think about it

you go to a certain us landscape location, try to find new compositions, in the end the most commonly shot composition still the best

you tell me, if you insist on taking something different, who's the last one who laughs? :)

seriously dont we all imitate ? You learning the language, isnt that imitating too ? trying to sound normal and speaking english or chinese or malay or tamil.. isnt that imitating too ??

when it goes down to how well you do it , its of course the pro. you teach them 100% of your knowledge and they imitated it 100%. but how sure they can do things 100%? they are not you ? your strength, you insight.. your reflexes.. these are just somethings that cannot be imitated but have to be learnt by ownself. that itself, is waht is called your own style, originality or best, your own creativity

Photographer has no value. Photographers by professionalism (take photo for work) or photographer contributing to a work (non paid) or published for knowledge then has value. Valuable pictures today lies on the content and usability of the picture while skill contributes to the result, the effort of getting the picture is master.

Note that there will be bound to be similarity between photographers. While I have never attended one, people who organize group photo which I presume is to meet people (relation building), culture interest, business relation and exchange skill. Learning with close replica of the steps from peers is part of the learning process.

In the commercial world, a skill that can be copied is not niche but relies on the quality, branding and product delivery. Photograph for intellectual is difficult for static open object as 2 different pictures will look similar when taken at the same angle and setting. Photographers own the picture taken but does not own the scene, remember that.

End Result Photo > Photographer. This is the real life.
But to know the original shooter from the fake shooter, you just have to continue shooting and the result will be obvious. In short the original photographer shoots his works while others copy his method, but if ask the fake to contine shooting first, the different between both of them will be obvious. Skills copied from others cannot match the style of a pro photographer.

imitation is best form of flattery ma. but too much imitation leads to stasis in creativity , which is a pity if u think about it. Process of trying something new and refreshing is .. refreshing and makes photography more interesting.

but in the end up to customers to choose whatever works for them.

ryan

seriously dont we all imitate ? You learning the language, isnt that imitating too ? trying to sound normal and speaking english or chinese or malay or tamil.. isnt that imitating too ??

when it goes down to how well you do it , its of course the pro. you teach them 100% of your knowledge and they imitated it 100%. but how sure they can do things 100%? they are not you ? your strength, you insight.. your reflexes.. these are just somethings that cannot be imitated but have to be learnt by ownself. that itself, is waht is called your own style, originality or best, your own creativity

Well said.

sometimes you should understand the different between imitate and learn

Agree... To me, during learning process, we imitate; then we start to have out own concept.
But to answer the title 'who wins' - both i guess. Just that how fast or how easy to win, that could be different

i dun think it's style...rather how we perceive the subject.

limitation is the best flattery

If you are a pro, how valuable you are depends on how much money your work is worth. It also means being able to satisfy your clients. You need not be good or original. You just need to cater to the right people who would pay you the most amount of money. Unless you want to earn less and do what you like (usually).

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

i have walked the thames at least 50 times with the intention of shooting something.

i have tried different things. i think i have only gotten maybe 2 very unique photos in the 2 years and in those 50 visits.

when you go to the thames for yourself in central london, maybe you will understand. creative angles - maybe if you have a portable crane. if not, there is a reason why the same shots keep appearing with different lighting conditions.

the difference is the pro photographer will always be one step ahead of the pro imitator

irregardless, a good photo is still a good photo, afterall, it still take credible effort/skill/knowledge to analyse for imitation before the final execution ;)

the difference is the pro photographer will always be one step ahead of the pro imitator

irregardless, a good photo is still a good photo, afterall, it still take credible effort/skill/knowledge to analyse for imitation before the final execution ;)

To quote, everyone has good ideas, but not the proper delivery.

not entirely true.

there have been great photographs and ideas and paintings coined by people unknown to anyone today.

but the people who grabbed that same idea, built on it a little and sold themselves properly

they are the ones you know today. ;)

Define "valuable".

In what way?

To who?

When?

How? And

Why?

And to answer the eternal question - no, apparently, there is NO such thing as an original idea anymore.

Only adaptations of ideas.

And how one packages them.

And markets them.

Status
Not open for further replies.