A photo back from NDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

innoxist

Apr 19, 2006
I dug up a photo I'd taken of helicopters flying the national flag, which I'd taken during the NDP but forgotten about ;) Hope it's not too late.

flyingky5.jpg

It was pretty dark already when I took it. The slight vignetting was natural and not deliberate.

pix makes u sort of feel proud to be a singaporean... :)
u could work on the framing...

Thank you :)

hi,

looks a little too noisy for my liking, with vignetting on the lower corners. was the original underexposed?

with shots like these methinks colour would be more effective.

It was indeed underexposed, because it was around 7 when the helicopters came by, and hence pretty dark. I felt that the coloured version didn't work very well, because they were pretty flat due to the lack of light.

if it was around 7 in the evening a shot which reflects the mood and ambience might be more appropriate. adjusting levels or brightness in photoshop is acceptable up to a certain level; past that & the loss of details will make the shot look too artificial. as it is, your shot suggests that it was taken when the sun was either setting or in high afternoon.

again, i feel that where flags are concerned, colours are really really important, especially so because each colour represents something. taking that away gives the flag a rather sterile feel to it.

but that's just my opinion.

i like the black and white treatment, there's a quiet and dignified atmosphere to it. consider shaving away some of the sky (top 1/3 space) to press the viewers' attention downwards towards the flag.

i like the black and white treatment, there's a quiet and dignified atmosphere to it. consider shaving away some of the sky (top 1/3 space) to press the viewers' attention downwards towards the flag.

Would this be better?

flying2xe6.jpg

if it was around 7 in the evening a shot which reflects the mood and ambience might be more appropriate. adjusting levels or brightness in photoshop is acceptable up to a certain level; past that & the loss of details will make the shot look too artificial. as it is, your shot suggests that it was taken when the sun was either setting or in high afternoon.

again, i feel that where flags are concerned, colours are really really important, especially so because each colour represents something. taking that away gives the flag a rather sterile feel to it.

but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the comments :)

I would try to capture the ambience of the moment, except with my current skills in post-processing, I couldn't make it look halfway decent, so I decided to stick to black and white.

Here's what the colours looked like. This photo below was taken around the same time, but a different one, because I stupidly managed to overwrite the original (very very bad idea, I know, but no choice :dunno:).

dsc0015fc2.jpg

If anyone knows of any way to make it look less flat, I would greatly appreciate it if you can share your experience. :) Thanks!

dsc0015fc2bz0.jpg

hi,

changed the colour hue, cropped to follow 1/3 rule.

Picorat: Thanks for the photoshopping! I'll keep it in mind for other post-processing. However, for this one, I feel that it still looks a little too dark? Which is why I opted to do it in B&W. And I agree with Eikin that it looks more dignified in B&W for this case. In colour when it is so dark, the whole thing feels a little tired to me. But thanks for the comments and input! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.