A Paypal question.....

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Guys/gals, I have been buying goods on Ebay for a long time. Lately, I have decided to add fund to my Paypal account instead of using credit cards. I made a bank transfer on the 31st March 2010, and the report/statement expected the money to be cleared by 7th of April 2010.

Today, it is the 8th of April 2010. The fund is not yet added to my Paypal account.
Can you guys/gals please advised....Usually, how long does it take for the fund to be added to Paypal account via bank transfer ?

I am anxious cause my seller(s) is waiting for more than a week now. :angry:

Thanks

how did you "add funds"?

did you make the payment on ebay already?

by now sure cleared already, if you paid via ebay using bank transfer, then it has entered your paypal account and exited into seller's account.

there is no transaction recorded?

Did you transfer to paypal's account locally (at Bank of America) or in the states?

Local transfer is faster, and must be in SGD, and must be done manually through banks (only if your acc is OCBC can you do it electronically = =online banking)

I am curious why you don't choose to pay from a credit card (which is much safer for buyers)

HS

how did you "add funds"?

did you make the payment on ebay already?

by now sure cleared already, if you paid via ebay using bank transfer, then it has entered your paypal account and exited into seller's account.

there is no transaction recorded?

I added my local bank account to Paypal. And transfer a specific amount to be deposited there. Just thought I am starting to buy quite a few items monthly. Easier to monitor how I spend mah ;p

Just checked my inbox, this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting PayPal, and I am happy to assist you today.

I understand that you are asking about the funds you have added using
your bank account. I apologise for the inconvenience and confusion this
may have caused you. Upon checking your PayPal account, I was able to
see that you added funds using your bank account in the amount of
$XXXX.00 AUD last March 31, 2010. The processing time for this is 3 to 5
working days. The processing time to be completed will be on April 9,
2010 and the most will be on April 13, 2010.

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We value what you have to say,
and we know situations like this can be difficult. If you have more
questions, and for further assistance, you may contact the PayPal
Customer Service Agents at (02) 8223 9500/1800-073-263 or send us an
email by:

And a much earlier mail

Thank you for contacting PayPal. I am happy to assist you today.
>
> I understand that you would like to know why funds have not yet
cleared
> in your PayPal account.
>
> First, I would like to apologise for the confusion and inconvenience
> this caused you. Upon checking your account I was able to see that you

> initiated adding funds electronically from your bank going to your
> PayPal account for $XXXX.00 AUD on ##st March #### .
>
> Please understand that Electronic Transfers of funds to your PayPal
> account from your bank account usually takes three to five working
days
> to clear from your bank account. An Electronic Funds Transfer is not
the
> same as a Wire Transfer; it is a group of payments electronically
> transferred to participating depository financial institutions.
Holidays
> and weekends are not recognized as working days by most banking
> facilities, which may result in a delay in your banking transactions.
>
> Although your bank account will be debited when you initiated adding
> funds, the funds still have to go through the BECS (Bank’s Electronic
> Clearing System) Department via the Automated Clearing House (ACH)
> system and then through our system.
>
> Please see for the funds to be posted on #th March #### or the latest
> would be on #th March ####.
>
> For further assistance, you may contact the PayPal Customer Service
> Agents at (##) #### ####/####-###-### or send us an email by:
>
> #. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
> #. Click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.
>
> We are available to help you from:
>
> * #:## AM PST to ##:## PM PST Monday through Friday.
> * #:## AM PST to #:## PM PST Saturday and Sunday.
>
> Thank you for choosing PayPal. We are committed to making your PayPal
> experiences pleasant and fulfilling.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jemylin
> PayPal, an eBay Company
>
> PayPal Australia Pty Limited.

hmm.. why would it be "safer"?

In a credit card transaction, the bank pays first, then bill the user. Even thou the card holder hasn't actually pay from his bank account, he is still liable for the purchase.

In any case, paypal actually hold the payment for about 30days before releasing to the seller rite? In case of any dispute or claims..

so paying with credit card or cash doesn't really make any difference.. I guess..

I am curious why you don't choose to pay from a credit card (which is much safer for buyers)

HS

Did you transfer to paypal's account locally (at Bank of America) or in the states?

Local transfer is faster, and must be in SGD, and must be done manually through banks (only if your acc is OCBC can you do it electronically = =online banking)

HS

I used to pay with credit card via Paypal. Cause I was overseas for almost half a year. My credit card recently just expired. Thus, I resorted to paying with available fund in Paypal.

Now I just found out I couldn't pay even though the fund is now available. Because it said they believe there is a third party trying to access my Paypal account ;(

I used to pay with credit card via Paypal. Cause I was overseas for almost half a year. My credit card recently just expired. Thus, I resorted to paying with available fund in Paypal.

Now I just found out I couldn't pay even though the fund is now available. Because it said they believe there is a third party trying to access my Paypal account ;(

Huh?? How to continue using Paypal when your CC has already expired? You opened the Paypal acc with your CC so it will be still tied back to it.

In any case, paypal actually hold the payment for about 30days before releasing to the seller rite? In case of any dispute or claims..

so paying with credit card or cash doesn't really make any difference.. I guess..

no, they release to seller right away. i should know. i've sold things before, and i could use the funds transferred from paypal to my bank account.

but they reserve the right to reverse that transaction anytime they want up to quite a number of days, i think. more than 30. you can see the amount of recorded disputes online where the buyer even left positive feedback, then claimed credit card fraud or fradulent use of their paypal account.

there are even cases where the reversed transaction results in negative funds in the seller's bank account. it's a sad sad thing, but that's how it is. ebay favours buyers more than sellers. any fees are generally paid by sellers, not buyers. the seller has a whole load more responsibility than the buyer as well. also, you can leave negative feedback for a seller, but sellers can only leave positive feedback or neutral feedback for buyers. which makes the rating on ebay sort of useless if you're dealing with a buyer only, who has set his feedback to private. you see a positive number, say 158, which indicates 158 positive transactions... but doesn't mean that he is 100% legit. it could have been 200000 neutral (but unhappy) feedback comments left, with only 158 happy people who dealt with him. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
also, why credit card is better than bank account transfer to paypal,

the first, you still can get the credit card company involved. naturally they are going to care a lot more than paypal. for the second, you are only getting paypal involved.

paypal DOES favour buyers, so it is usually quite safe.. in fact they give buyers benefit of doubt. say buyer says, item not received, and seller cannot provide PROOF OF DELIVERY (not proof of sending).. even though the seller may have happily sent out the item without any intention of cheating.. and the buyer may have even received it, as long as seller cannot provide proof that the item has been delivered (by signature) : this is mainly for items above a certain value, paypal will side with buyer.

however, in the rare case where paypal does not side with you and you cannot get redress from their end, you can seek help from your cc company as well. if that still doesn't work, then suck thumb lor.

hmm.. why would it be "safer"?

In a credit card transaction, the bank pays first, then bill the user. Even thou the card holder hasn't actually pay from his bank account, he is still liable for the purchase.

It is safer, because for the CC company, the merchant is Paypal (and not the seller), so if anything fails in delivery of the product, or item is not as described, and you as a buyer are not refunded, you can still write to the CC company to reverse the payment, within 3-6 months depending on the CC company.

So, because the merchant is Paypal, Paypal will get a negative balance and they have to redress the issue with the seller (by deducting the seller's account or blocking the seller account if there is not enough funds in the sellers account)

HS

Thanks for the info, HS & NM :)

Anyway, I always pay with CC only as there is no benefit in paying cash at all..

In the simplest sense, money take out from bank account earlier = lost interest. Interest-free credit = extra interest from money in bank account.

Although the money is usually very small amount, nevertheless, it is positive vs negative.

Ttry to use a friends paypal account to pay for your purchase as the seller has waited a long period by now.

This afternoon, I was happy to pay off the seller of one items....and then came back to find I need to resolve four more questions on my identity. At the end, it asked for fax of copies of my documents like utility bill or driving license ;( Only after I answered questions like:

Are you associated with anyone in politics?
My passport number and country of issue :angry::angry:

Now I still got three more sellers to pay....and some other things to buy and pay in Ebay :thumbsd:

I think I will only be buying things and accept local bank transfer (Aust)

Here is what they asked after I filled my passport number and anyone I associate in Politics

Fax or upload documentation

PayPal requires a copy of certain documents for verification purposes to return your account to regular standing.

Please provide one of the following types of documents to confirm your identity. Help

* Utility Bill e.g. Electricity, Gas, Water (within the last 3 months) ; or
* Government issued document containing your residential address e.g., tax statement (or notice from the Australian Tax Office), identification card, any other notice from the Commonwealth, State or Territory. (Note: You can use your Drivers Licence only if you did not already use this for proof of Photo Identification)

Please note if you are an Unincorporated Association or Partnership, the individual who you are required to provide documentation for is:

* For Partnerships - an Individual Partner whose details you provided on Sign Up
* For Unincorporated Associations - the Primary Contact whose details you provided on Sign Up

Please make sure that the documentation you provide is valid and legible. The name and address on your documentation must correspond with the information on your PayPal account. Send only documents received by mail (online statements cannot be accepted). Send all the information and documents required as soon as possible to complete the review process.
Note: This information will not be shared with any third parties.

You prob need to update your credit card profile in paypal.

After I updated my credit card profile, it then again required me to confirm my Paypal 4 digits code in a $2 transaction. Said it will reimburse me back in my Paypal account. :eek:

It is so easy to transfer money to Paypal, but then it makes it extra tough for you pay/transfer/send money. :confused:

Even in Australia, an international bank transfer of AUD$5000 is not required to report to Reserve Bank. Why is it transactions worth the most few hundreds need to go through such draconian rules.... I am not ordering C4 or missiles LAAAAAAAAAAAAA :sweat: