A old SLR Olympus OM--1 (n)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

May 16, 2008
Singapore
Recently, I found out i am interested in photography. I wanted to buy a DSLR as my first CAM but as a beginner I post around the forum to ask what Cam is good for me. Decide on D40 or D60. When i told my dad i want to buy a DSLR, he went to his room and took a old looking brown plastic box and he open the box. To my surprise he took out a SLR from the box.
It was a Olympus OM--1 (n) with Olympus OM System Zuiko 35-70mm on it.( Did a little research on it ). However the len is blur,dusty, look into the VF so blur, dunno what happen to it. What i want to know is if i send to store to have it repair and clean, Will the Cam still work well and how much it cost to repair or clean? Maybe i will use the old SLR to shoot then i will not have to buy a new CAM ( DSLR ), so it is worth to repair/clean it instead of buy a new DSLR CAM as a beginner? Must good advice !!! lol

Some info about the Camera:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/om1/index.htm

Hmmm...:think:, nobody wants to help our friend here and only want to 'ADVISE' newbies on which DSLR to buy?

Anyway, the Olympus OM1 (N) is a very nice camera to use. My dad has one as well. It's fully mechanical, so no worries about electronic parts. Metering and focusing will be very manual as well. It will be a very good start with this great cam.

Anyway, back to your question. I believe the lens has been infected with fungus (since it's not placed in a dry cabinet). You may want to invest in a dry cabinet or dry box after sending the camera and lens for a good cleaning.

You can PM our bro Fatigue to see if he can do it for you cos he's rather busy so have to check his schedule first. Otherwise, you can send them to 'The Camera Workshop', 'The Camera Hospital' or 'P&G' for quotation and cleaning.

Galdor is right. The OM cameras are beautiful. My parents have an OM2 at home complete with several Zuiko lenses and it was a fantastic camera. My advice would be to go and get it cleaned up and, provided it isn't hideously expensive, use this camera! It may be a steep learning curve at first, but the lesons you learn from using this camera will serve you well when you eventually get a DSLR. Not to mention, it is sad to see an old work horse like this decay from lack of use. It is a lovely camera capable of some wonderful shots! Happy shooting! :)

The Camera + lens is put in the box for over 15years+. So can the Camera still be fixed?

it sure can be :) If possible please take the photo of the lens front and post here to see if it's got fungus or may be the cam mirror ,prism. :) Best ask ur dad ,he sound experience somehow :D

The Camera + lens is put in the box for over 15years+. So can the Camera still be fixed?
Yes and no. If a camera was not used for such a long time it is possible that it is not worth fixing. Get a new one from eBay, they are cheap. The problem is that the shutter curtain may be dried out. Another issue with many OM1's is the viewfinder, which mey need a complete and substential renovation. It may cost you more than it is worth unless if you can do the job. Check the battery compartment. If the battery is still there there is probably a leak. Another serious problem, expensive to fix, but if you can live without the light meter, the OM1 is not dependent on battery, it works perfectly well without. It is the last OM body which has a mechanical shutter mechanism.

Regardless of how much I like Olympus and the OM cameras, in my opinion it is not worth paying for it to be fixed. If you can do the job it is different. Don't bother about the lens. Get new ones.

Hi Havoc, Have you got it fixed? I have one too, and wish to clean it at some shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.