A night on the island

stalkerism

Jun 20, 2011
Island IMG 4
DSC_01556.JPG

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and lightning etc

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
beautiful and natural night landscape

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Photograph was taken during a trip to perhentian island.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I am stll new to this and I am quite happy with the result.

Last edited:
What is this ?

You need to bump out the ISO speed , so we can see the object clearly .

TS, your pic is badly underexposed. Try to increase the exposure thru PP.

First of all it doesn't look like a night landscape as there seems to be 2 boats and some sand, hardly any scenery.

Second: The front boat is blurred, looks like motion blur as it was on the water and you got this pic through long exposure timing to smooth out the water right?

Third: Way under-exposed, that doesn't make a night scenery better. If you are using a tripod then you need to increase your exposure time. Check the histogram if your lcd screen is too bright and showed you an inaccurate exposure of your actual image.

Fourth: Composition wise looks like a normal snapshot to me, not sure of what's the environment is like over there and how you can move about but there is a mismatch between your pic and your title/theme. When it comes to landscape, personally I wish to see more of the structure/outline of say, the beach rather than just zoom in to look at the sand. Since it's night, show some sky and if there's stars/moon even better.

The boats are kind of out of place and there are empty spaces around.

Just shoot more, attempt to try different settings, composition, etc. More practical lessons will make one improve, that's why many of us here are always shooting whenever there's an opportunity as a platform for self-training.

Thanks for the advise and critics guys... I will try to improve better. :) Thanks for pointing out stuff for me since I am new and don't know where to head.

like the bros above said. you should join some photo outings with the other members to learn more

hey guys, sorry.. is it just me or is the pic very underexposed?

The picture is very very under exposed.

I suppose you did long exposure? Well, you didn't do long enough that is why it's kinda underexposed. Did you use one of the advance auto modes? (A,S,P|Av,Tv etc..)

As the others have already said, your photo is very underexposed. Try shooting at a higher iso (iso 400) and a slower shutter speed (60s) to bring out the subject more clearly. I would also crop away the topmost part of the photo to reduce clutter in the background.
e.g.
5856477565_fb71256249_o.jpg

Last edited:
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D70

Image Date: 2011-06-18 04:11:12 (no TZ)

Focal Length: 65.0mm (35mm equivalent: 97mm)

Aperture: f/5.0

Exposure Time: 30.000 s

Exposure Bias: none

Metering Mode: Matrix

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Auto

Flash Fired: No

Orientation: Normal

Color Space: sRGB

GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

Get out more. Meet more people. See more photos; before making any photos.