a newbies qus

kelchew

Feb 25, 2011
bedok
For a newbie using a WALKABOUT lens is IS important ?:confused:

kelchew said:

What is impt is that you have a lens to suit yr shooting needs.

Depend on your skills and technique and depend on how steady is your hands. It really is very difficult for any of us to advice you on whether IS is needed or not. for some people, they could hold their camera with minimal motion blur up to 1/5 or 1/6 sec shutter speed, some would start to have motion blur even at 1/50.

important or not its not up to us to decide. Only u know what u want to shoot and decide

Thanks every1 I think of a way, I can use my current lens wif out IS and see how the photo turn out

Depends if u are walking about in daytime or night :) good to have unless u have a fast lens

what are u currently using? what is your budget?

from my own personal experience...for budget yet excellent lens get a Sigma / Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 (for that extra 20mm zoom), both have IS functions... (tamron call it VC)

17mm is good for wide angle. these two recommendations are good, if u are into more street / day to day photo-taking

Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a very good lens as well, but the RRP is $1,899.00 while third party lens are much cheaper .... ie 30-40%...

Last edited:
what are u currently using? what is your budget?

from my own personal experience...for budget yet excellent lens get a Sigma / Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, or Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 (for that extra 20mm zoom), both have IS functions... (tamron call it VC)

17mm is good for wide angle. these two recommendations are good, if u are into more street / day to day photo-taking

Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a very good lens as well, but the RRP is $1,899.00 while third party lens are much cheaper .... ie 30-40%...

currently using 18-135 kits lens and 50 1.8 wif 450d
thinking of looking into (a faster) 3rd party lens, bt some of them dont come with IS,

currently using 18-135 kits lens and 50 1.8 wif 450d
thinking of looking into (a faster) 3rd party lens, bt some of them dont come with IS,

hi,
as what u said, u want a faster lens, get a Sigma / Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, trust me you wont regret...you can go over to the tamron/sigma forum page on clubsnap...u can ask more views / advice there...

personally, my usage is 80% of the time- 17-70mm F2.8-4, , 15% is the 85mm F1.4, 5% is the 70-300mm telephoto zoom.

but that is because, i am more of a day-day, bring camera everywhere type of person.

Actually I would think that a good fast lens at the range of up to 70mm or for some people - 200mm doesn't really need IS (that is only me though)... and for night shooting, I would think that an external flash and a tripod would be more important.

Personally, I would say yes. Especially for those tele-lens when you are shooting without tripod.

Last edited:
hi ricardo i m looking into this lens( 17-50 ) as well, just scare that 50mm is abit short.. even 70mm as well, looking into my shooting now i mostly using 100mm
that y still thinking of it..

kelchew said:
hi ricardo i m looking into this lens( 17-50 ) as well, just scare that 50mm is abit short.. even 70mm as well, looking into my shooting now i mostly using 100mm
that y still thinking of it..

You can get the 17-50/2.8 AND the 50-150/2.8. ;)

Actually I would think that a good fast lens at the range of up to 70mm or for some people - 200mm doesn't really need IS (that is only me though)... and for night shooting, I would think that an external flash and a tripod would be more important.

thanks for the help, think i might have to rent a fast lens 1st and see how i can do it wif out the IS thing..
for night shooting yap, same mostly will have tripod as well..

50-150/2.8 (should be sigma )seem like a good choice, ok i will go and search for infor for the lens.. thanks for the help..

You can get the 17-50/2.8 AND the 50-150/2.8. ;)

there is one of best combination ... you are pretty much set for day to day photography, also may i add, u can buy a camera bag that can hold 2 lens ...eg Crumpler/Lowepro/Vanguard , then u are off to taking excellent pics :)

Last edited:
there is one of best combination ... you are pretty much set for day to day photography, also may i add, u can buy a camera bag that can hold 2 lens ...eg Crumpler/Lowepro/Vanguard , then u are off to taking excellent pics :)

hi ricardo i carrying a lowepro now, the 1 wif laptop.. will look into the combi lens daredevil mentions.. thanks for the help..