A newbie wanting a D100

Status
Not open for further replies.

huan

Dec 29, 2003
Hi All

I am new to SLR or DSLR camera, as such I am worried that I cant take a nice pic of out the High-End camera which I intent to purchase soon.

I have used C5050 for awhile and am anxious to upshift to Prosumer league.

What can you guys advise or recommend to improve myself on using the DSLR type camara ?

Many thks and have A Happy 2004.

Aloysius

firstly, welcome to ClubSNAP, huan!!!

like most of the advice we give here, you have to ask yourself why do you wanna upgrade to a DSLR? what subjects do you hope to or intend to take? that would really narrow it down...

personally i think the best thing to do is to borrow or at least play with a DSLR or even a film SLR for a while. my best suggestion is to come down to SEED, our regular gathering @ Funan Food court. the next one is tomorrow... i'm sure we can address your questions and concerns better and also let you handle some DSLRs if anyone brings them...

the URL is here - http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=56581

Best thing is newbies get a free bowl of BCM from UL!!! :devil:

Kidding about the BCM man. To learn the system. Shoot more!!!

Larry said:
firstly, welcome to ClubSNAP, huan!!!

like most of the advice we give here, you have to ask yourself why do you wanna upgrade to a DSLR? what subjects do you hope to or intend to take? that would really narrow it down...

personally i think the best thing to do is to borrow or at least play with a DSLR or even a film SLR for a while. my best suggestion is to come down to SEED, our regular gathering @ Funan Food court. the next one is tomorrow... i'm sure we can address your questions and concerns better and also let you handle some DSLRs if anyone brings them...

the URL is here - http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=56581

I have always wanted to do photography with ppls, houses/building, candid shot with ppls at their natural compose, marco shot anything that can be shot.

I think I am confuse as what type of lens should go with what type of situations also.

Are there any lens for the 3 types of environment I desc. ? Please advise.

What time would be the meetup ? Would love to join if I can join you guys. Anyway, my office is at Far East Sq.

Any1 selling their used D100, 10D or S2 Pro ?

thks for the advise.

Check out the buy sell section, you're in luck, AJ23 is selling his 2nd hand D100 with battery grip. Grab it :)

at some point u will need to touch a SLR/DSLR. dun worry 2 much over this transiton.

lenses: to put it very loosely, in general, for an ideal coverage, u need at least one for wideangle vision and the other for telephoto vision. choose amongst this matrix: zoom/prime/pro-class/consumer-class

huan said:
I have always wanted to do photography with ppls, houses/building, candid shot with ppls at their natural compose, marco shot anything that can be shot.

I think I am confuse as what type of lens should go with what type of situations also.

Are there any lens for the 3 types of environment I desc. ? Please advise.

here are some of the lenses for considerations....

Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24mm f / 4G IF-ED
  • wide angle lens
  • street shooting/landscape

Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
  • general purpose lens
  • candids, architecture/landscape, portraits

Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED / AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • telephoto lens
  • street shooting/sports/fashion/nature
  • candids, portraits, macro (with closeup lens/filter like canon 500D)

Nikkor AF Micro 105mm f/2.8D / AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D
  • marco lens
  • macro/portraits

you'll be well covered with these lenses (from 12mm to 200mm)...maybe add another 50mm f/1.8...

do note the 1.5x FLM (focal length multiplier)...

I am new to SLR or DSLR camera, as such I am worried that I cant take a nice pic of out the High-End camera which I intent to purchase soon.

I have used C5050 for awhile and am anxious to upshift to Prosumer league.

What can you guys advise or recommend to improve myself on using the DSLR type camara ?

without holding a (D)SLR type camera, you'll never know. dun worry too much abt not able to take nice photos...

way to improve is to play with your (D)SLR more and get familiar with what it can do, know it's limitations (eg high flash sync, low light focus...etc), and go out for more shooting...dun buy a camera and leave it at home in the dry cabinet... ;)

nice recommendations rncw

actually back in film days most people start with a SLR just that DSLR are more costly and people tend to shy away from it. Nothing wrong with buying a DSLR and doing photography from the very start if your budget allows for it. Never spend over your means and don go for impulse purchase.

another good portrait lens to consider is the 85/1.8 or 85/1.4. They are both equally good if you are into portraitures.

if u are worried about spending too much on lens, you could get the alternatives like 28-105/f3.5-4.5 which could function as a reasonable macro lens.

Hi Guys

Thks for all the kind advise and recommendations.

The thing that I am worry too is spending on expensive equipment which sometime dun even use more that 2 - 3 times.

Need to know what are the most commonly used items for DSLR beside camera and lens.

I think I would restict to 3 common lens for marco, landscape, & portrait.
Hope that would be enough ?

Rgds

DSLR is great for learners!! my gf wanted to pick up photography(finally) and after a little technical talk about metering and using the camera, we went walking around shooting. instant feedback is great!

can easily tell her about middle grey and shooting for highlght or shadow. she see the result after each shot and know what i mean. she get more interesetd also cos can see what she took instanly.

for a start, a 28- 80 zoom lens will be good. but dont shoot with a zoom but go out shooting at 28, 50 and 80, wide-normal and short tele. have a feel of it. don worry about the aperture of the lens. trust me, one day you will understand why ppl are willing to pay 1k more for a 2.8 aperture.

from there you see you like what kind. e.g if you like wide, get a wide zoom and maybe a 50 and a 90 or 135. but id you like tele, you maybe want to get a 80-200 zoom and a prime wide. of cos 3 zoomz is the best. that will burn in big hole in your pocket as well we kill your shoulder when you go travel.

For the choice of lenses, my 2 rubles worth:
  • General purpose: a zoom like AF-S 24-85 G, or the AF-S VR 24-120
  • Zoom: the 80-200 (AF-D or the much more expensive AF-S) is pretty good. If you have the moolah, the 70-200 VR
  • Wide: AF-S 12-24 which has very good quality and reasonably affordable
  • Macro: Nikon 60mm, Tamron 90mm are good starter lenses
  • Primes: 50/1.8 is very value for money, 35mm and 85/1.8 The 1.4 lenses are great, better than the 1.8 counterpart but cost a lot (2-3x) more.

huan said:
Hi Guys

Thks for all the kind advise and recommendations.

The thing that I am worry too is spending on expensive equipment which sometime dun even use more that 2 - 3 times.

Need to know what are the most commonly used items for DSLR beside camera and lens.

I think I would restict to 3 common lens for marco, landscape, & portrait.
Hope that would be enough ?

Rgds

If you don't want to blow your budget, cheaper 3rd party lens from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma offer great alternatives to NIkkors...
I am assuming "budget" to refer to lenses under S$500-600....

For Macro, a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 (1:1) and can be used as a portrait lens, like a nikon 50mm f/1.8

Landscape: Tamron/Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 is a cheap starter.

Maybe a extra Tamron 28-200mm, will cover the standard zoom range and telephoto range in a single budget package.

Status
Not open for further replies.