A newbie question. Whats the difference between HDR and DRI?

I am lousy at art. But some form of photoshop often makes a picture more beautiful, like makeup to a lady. Wanting to learn to do HDR images using gimp, then I came across DRI. Whats the difference?

DRI is related to X Windows (windowing system aka controls output to display for unix systems). No relation to photography.

From the link you provided, the main difference is (obviously) that DRI doesn't involve tone mapping. In a program like Photomatix Pro, HDR post-processing is divided into two main steps -- combining multiple exposures into a 32-bit file (no visual output), and then "Tone-mapping" that info into a smaller space. The painterly HDR "look" happens at this step, though there is a lot of flexibility with Photomatix Pro's tone mapper. Getting a realistic look through this technique is actually pretty tricky; maybe that's why they associate DRI with not using tone mapping.

DRI looks closer to "exposure blending"; the intended outcome seems a more natural rendering. At least the skies aren't overexposed.

As a new member, I can't post links, but a quick search for "HDR vs. DRI" will turn up a few articles, including a link to luminous-landscapes that describes a DRI process that sounds a lot like what people in other circles call exposure blending.