a newbie question on lens type..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon79

Mar 31, 2009
hi all,

sorry for creating a thread on this..

juz want to ask whether wats the difference between those zoom lens(lens with range stated)
compared to those lens tat comes with only 1 range(example 30mm f/1.4)

does it means tat the 30mm f/1.4 lens can only shoot picture at 30mm range? anything outside will not be able to focus??

thanks all..

btw, can i actually go to the shop and try out the lens ?

coz there are many types of lens available but i do not know the difference..
anyshops allow tat in Sg particularly??

hi all,

juz want to ask whether wats the difference between those zoom lens(lens with range stated)

does it means tat the 30mm f/1.4 lens can only shoot picture at 30mm range? anything outside will not be able to focus??

thanks all..

Yes the 30mm is a prime lens, and irregardless of the type / size of sensor / film, it is always a 30mm. ( although using cropped sensors, it will appear as if it is a little less wide )

For zoom lenses, look at the range stated.

There are some differences between a prime lens and zoom lens, plenty of resources online to help ya.

Happy reading, and shooting

Ryan

Check the stickies in the newbie forums, there is a wealth of information there painstakingly compiled by helpful members.

hi all,

thanks all..

focal length refers to a factor that primarily decides how wide/narrow is your vision through the camera and how big/magnified your subject looks on the image. a change of focal length, allows the above two to change, on the same lens, at the same distance from your subject.

forget abt the definition of focal length for a while first.

most lens focus from a minimum distance to infinity. just like your eyes, bring your finger too near the nose and it will be blurred. this minimum distance to be in focus is affected by the focal length but varies on different lens, e.g. my nikkor 50mm f/1.8 can focus down to 45cm distance while sigma 30mm f/1.4 focus down to 40cm. note the focal length are not direct equivalents to the minimal focusing distance. and note that nikkor 50mm f/1.8 can focus at 45, 46, 47cm up to infinity, while other 50mm or other f/1.8 lenses may have different feature.

think of lenses as women. a thin women tend to have a thin waist. as the body slim down, the waist slim down. but the degree with which the waist and the general figure of a woman relates, differs from person to person...

hi all,

thanks all..

I suggest reading the photography tips for newbies.

Focal length is not the same as focusing distance.

focal length refers to a factor that primarily decides how wide/narrow is your vision through the camera and how big/magnified your subject looks on the image. a change of focal length, allows the above two to change, on the same lens, at the same distance from your subject.

forget abt the definition of focal length for a while first.

most lens focus from a minimum distance to infinity. just like your eyes, bring your finger too near the nose and it will be blurred. this minimum distance to be in focus is affected by the focal length but varies on different lens, e.g. my nikkor 50mm f/1.8 can focus down to 45cm distance while sigma 30mm f/1.4 focus down to 40cm. note the focal length are not direct equivalents to the minimal focusing distance. and note that nikkor 50mm f/1.8 can focus at 45, 46, 47cm up to infinity, while other 50mm or other f/1.8 lenses may have different feature.

think of lenses as women. a thin women tend to have a thin waist. as the body slim down, the waist slim down. but the degree with which the waist and the general figure of a woman relates, differs from person to person...

i like your analogy! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.